HELP.. ERROR: Unable to relay for user@mail.com

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Tim::.., Jun 22, 2004.

  1. Tim::..

    Tim::.. Guest

    Can someone please help!!
    This is driving me nuts...

    I keep getting the following error when I run the send mail script below. I think it might be because I don't have the smtp server configurered properly or because I have to make a change on our exchange server???

    We are running IIS 5 on Win2K server and using Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 can someone please tell me how I solve this!

    Thanks

    Error:

    Email send failed: The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The server response was: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for

    <%
    mailComp = "CDOSYS"
    smtpServer = "SMTP01"
    fromAddr = ""

    if mailComp = "CDOSYS" then
    set cdoMessage = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")
    set cdoConfig = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")
    cdoConfig.Fields("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = 2
    cdoConfig.Fields("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = smtpServer
    cdoConfig.Fields.Update
    set cdoMessage.Configuration = cdoConfig
    cdoMessage.From = fromAddr
    cdoMessage.ReplyTo = replyTo
    cdoMessage.To = recipients
    cdoMessage.Subject = subject
    cdoMessage.HtmlBody = body
    on error resume next
    cdoMessage.Send
    if Err.Number <> 0 then
    SendMail = "Email send failed: " & Err.Description & "."
    end if
    set cdoMessage = Nothing
    set cdoConfig = Nothing
    exit function
    end if
    %>

    Tim::.., Jun 22, 2004

  2. Tim::..

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 06:07:01 -0700, "Tim::.." <myatix_at_hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Can someone please help!!
    >This is driving me nuts...
    >
    >I keep getting the following error when I run the send mail script below. I think it might be because I don't have the smtp server configurered properly or because I have to make a change on our exchange server???

    The error is that can not relay through the server.
    Either allow to relay or change the sender to one that
    can. Try the SMTP group or Exchange group if you need help
    configuring relay options.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Tim::..

    Chris Barber Guest

    It's doubtful that you internal Exchange server is hosting mail.com as a domain and as such it is
    rejecting the senders request because the user isn't;t a valid account on that mail server - this is
    fully correct and is a good secure mechanism to stop an open relay (e.g. where anyone can send mail
    without a valid email account).

    Try sending from a real email account that exists on that mail server.

    Chris.

    Chris Barber, Jun 23, 2004