HELP PLEASE ~ ???

Brad Isaacs

I am working with ASP.NET 2.0 and using an SQL Server 2000 database.

I am using Visual Studio 2005 and developing on my Local machine. I am
working with Login controls ASP.Configuration, I wanted to move my work
and needed to place it on the server.

Using VS 2005 , went to BUILD
-Publish Web Site
Checked the box for :: Alow this precompiled site to be updatable.

The files are all now sitting on my Server, and when I load my web site, it
loads the first default.aspx page that contains my LOGIN control. However,
when I try to login it is trying to load a SQL Server Express 2005 database.
Yet I am not using SQL Server 2005, and in my App_Data file folder I DO NOT
have an databasename.MDF inside it. However VS 2005 had created a file and
stuck it into my Project. I then receive the following error. See below:

Can anyone suggest why this is occurring and what I can do to resolve this
issue??

Why is it trying to perform an SQLExpress database file auto-creation error,
when I am using an SQL Server 2000 databse???

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

~Brad
___________________________________
ERROR: MESSAGE BELOW:

Server Error in '/gddb' Application.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When
connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
Server/Instance Specified)

SQLExpress database file auto-creation error:
The connection string specifies a local Sql Server Express instance using a
database location within the applications App_Data directory. The provider
attempted to automatically create the application services database because
the provider determined that the database does not exist. The following
configuration requirements are necessary to successfully check for existence
of the application services database and automatically create the
application services database:
1. If the applications App_Data directory does not already exist, the web
server account must have read and write access to the applications
directory. This is necessary because the web server account will
automatically create the App_Data directory if it does not already exist.
2. If the applications App_Data directory already exists, the web server
account only requires read and write access to the applications App_Data
directory. This is necessary because the web server account will attempt to
verify that the Sql Server Express database already exists within the
applications App_Data directory. Revoking read access on the App_Data
directory from the web server account will prevent the provider from
correctly determining if the Sql Server Express database already exists.
This will cause an error when the provider attempts to create a duplicate of
an already existing database. Write access is required because the web
server accounts credentials are used when creating the new database.
3. Sql Server Express must be installed on the machine.
4. The process identity for the web server account must have a local user
profile. See the readme document for details on how to create a local user
profile for both machine and domain accounts.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): An error has occurred while establishing a
connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure
may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does
not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 -
Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)]
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException
exception, Boolean breakConnection) +734947
System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject
stateObj) +188
System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner,
Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String
protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean
encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection
owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup) +820
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection
owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword,
Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +628
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity
identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String
newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
+170
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions
options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection
owningConnection) +130
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection
owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup) +27
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
owningConnection) +47
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
System.Web.Management.SqlServices.GetSqlConnection(String server, String
user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString) +68

[HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to connect to SQL Server database.]
System.Web.Management.SqlServices.GetSqlConnection(String server, String
user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString) +124
System.Web.Management.SqlServices.SetupApplicationServices(String server,
String user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString,
String database, String dbFileName, SqlFeatures features, Boolean install)
+86
System.Web.Management.SqlServices.Install(String database, String
dbFileName, String connectionString) +25
System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.CreateMdfFile(String
fullFileName, String dataDir, String connectionString) +397

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
Version:2.0.50727.210

David Longnecker

Brad-

In your web.config, is your Membership provider specifying a connectionStringName?

For example, if you have a connectionString you are using for your membership
and roles called mySqlConnection, your provider would look similar to:

<membership>
<providers>
<clear/>
<add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" applicationName="/web"
connectionStringName="mySqlConnection"
/>
</providers>
</membership>

---
David Longnecker
Web Developer
http://blog.tiredstudent.com
[...]

current web request. Please review the stack trace for more
information
[...]
current web
request. Information regarding the origin and location of the
exception can
[...]

Hi David,

My Web Config file See below ~

I am still wondering why I cannot get this to work...........I do not think
it has anything to do with the web config.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<!--

Note: As an alternative to hand editing this file you can use the

web admin tool to configure settings for your application. Use

the Website->Asp.Net Configuration option in Visual Studio.

A full list of settings and comments can be found in

machine.config.comments usually located in

\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.x\Config

-->

<connectionStrings>

<remove name="governanceDirectorateConnectionString" />

<add name="governanceDirectorateConnectionString" connectionString="Data
Source=BRAD;Initial Catalog=governanceDirectorate;Integrated
Security=True"providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</connectionStrings>

<system.web>

<!--

Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging

symbols into the compiled page. Because this

affects performance, set this value to true only

during development.

Visual Basic options:

Set strict="true" to disallow all data type conversions

where data loss can occur.

Set explicit="true" to force declaration of all variables.

-->

<roleManager enabled="true" />

<compilation debug="true" strict="false" explicit="true">

<assemblies>

<add assembly="System.DirectoryServices, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/></assemblies></compilation>

<pages>

<namespaces>

<clear/>

<add namespace="System"/>

<add namespace="System.Collections"/>

<add namespace="System.Collections.Specialized"/>

<add namespace="System.Configuration"/>

<add namespace="System.Text"/>

<add namespace="System.Text.RegularExpressions"/>

<add namespace="System.Web"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.Caching"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.SessionState"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.Security"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.Profile"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.UI"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.UI.HtmlControls"/>

</namespaces>

</pages>

<!--

The <authentication> section enables configuration

of the security authentication mode used by

ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.

-->

<authentication mode="Forms">

<forms name="Login1" loginUrl="Login.aspx" />

</authentication>

<authorization>

<deny users="?" />

<allow roles="Admin" />

<deny roles="Content Editors" />

</authorization>

<membership>

<providers>

<add connectionStringName="governanceDirectorateConnectionString"

applicationName="dataEntryTool" minRequiredPasswordLength="5"

minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" enablePasswordRetrieval="false"

enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false"

requiresUniqueEmail="false" passwordFormat="Clear"
maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5"

passwordAttemptWindow="10" passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""

name="CustomizedProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider"
/>

</providers>

</membership>

<!--

The <customErrors> section enables configuration

of what to do if/when an unhandled error occurs

during the execution of a request. Specifically,

it enables developers to configure html error pages

to be displayed in place of a error stack trace.

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="GenericErrorPage.htm">

<error statusCode="403" redirect="NoAccess.htm" />

<error statusCode="404" redirect="FileNotFound.htm" />

</customErrors>

-->

<!-- GLOBALIZATION

This section sets the globalization settings of the application.

<globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8"
fileEncoding="utf-8" culture="fr-FR" /> -->

</system.web>

</configuration>

David Longnecker said:
[...]

Just something to check... your specified applicationName and the web application
name are different... do you change that when it goes into production?

Your web config reads:

applicationName="dataEntryTool"

The error:

Server Error in '/gddb' Application.

You can check the real name of the Membership's application name by going
to your SQL Server (that you're using for authentication), open up the aspnet_Applications
table and view the LoweredApplicationName column. It also may be a convention
thing--I've never tried to make them different before.

Here's a snippet from a photo gallery I've been dinking with lately that
uses forums authentication (no other business-centric applications; everything
is AD-integrated).

<membership defaultProvider="CustomizedMembershipProvider">
<providers>
<clear/>
<add name="CustomizedMembershipProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider"
connectionStringName="photos"
enablePasswordRetrieval="false"
maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5"
applicationName="/photos" />
</providers>
</membership>

If not in the web.config; there has to be some minute line somewhere referencing
SQLExpress. You mentioned that it went ahead and added a SQL Express base
in your App_Data directory (reading off your line: "However VS 2005 had created
a file and stuck it into my
Project"); if you exclude that file from your project--what breaks? ;)

-dl

---
David Longnecker
Web Developer
http://blog.tiredstudent.com
[...]

Hey David,

I am in the process of checking if and where it is referencing an SQLExpress
db.

In addition, I meant to say that I have EXCLUDED the SQL Express db file.MDF
from my App_Data but what seems to occur is that it is being recreated when
I PUBLISH my web site.

When I publish my web site, my Project folder contains an empty Data_App
folder ( I have deleted the .MDF file all together) because I am using an
SQL Server 2000 database for all my data.

What seems to occur is VS Studio 2005 recreates an empty file.MDF and places
it into my App_Data file folder and then my Project breaks because it trys
to use the SQLExpress database instead of my SQL Server 2000 --- It cannot
find the connectionString in the newly recreated SQLExpress database.

I am searching for where it may reference this SQLExpress file.

And I have googled this with out finding any resolutions to this issue.

Thanks for your input..........

Still trying to figure this issue out..................

~Brad
:)) ~ Stumped!

David Longnecker said:
[...]

connectionStringName="photos" enablePasswordRetrieval="false"