Visual Studio .NET 2005 WebParts can't connect to SQL Server 2005

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by XJ, Dec 26, 2007.

  1. XJ

    XJ Guest

    Hi All

    I'm having problems creating WebParts in Visual Studio .NET 2005 with
    SQL
    Server 2005. I'm using Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

    I've created a new web application and placed one WebPartManager
    control on
    the page and no other controls. Then I ran the application but
    received the
    following error message:

    An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.
    When
    connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact
    that
    under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
    connections.
    (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/
    Instance
    Specified)

    the
    current web request. Please review the stack trace for more
    information about

    SQLExpress database file auto-creation error:

    The connection string specifies a local Sql Server Express instance
    using a
    database location within the applications App_Data directory. The
    provider
    attempted to automatically create the application services database
    because
    the provider determined that the database does not exist. The
    following
    configuration requirements are necessary to successfully check for
    existence
    of the application services database and automatically create the
    application
    services database:

    If the applications App_Data directory does not already exist, the
    web
    server account must have read and write access to the applications
    directory.
    This is necessary because the web server account will automatically
    create
    the App_Data directory if it does not already exist.
    If the applications App_Data directory already exists, the web server
    account only requires read and write access to the applications
    App_Data
    directory. This is necessary because the web server account will
    attempt to
    verify that the Sql Server Express database already exists within the
    applications App_Data directory. Revoking read access on the App_Data
    directory from the web server account will prevent the provider from
    correctly determining if the Sql Server Express database already
    exists. This
    will cause an error when the provider attempts to create a duplicate
    of an
    already existing database. Write access is required because the web
    server
    accounts credentials are used when creating the new database.
    Sql Server Express must be installed on the machine.
    The process identity for the web server account must have a local
    user
    profile. See the readme document for details on how to create a local
    user
    profile for both machine and domain accounts.

    Source Error:
    current web
    request. Information regarding the origin and location of the
    exception can

    Stack Trace:
    [SqlException (0x80131904): An error has occurred while establishing
    connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this
    failure
    may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server
    does not
    allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26
    -
    Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)]
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException
    exception, Boolean breakConnection) +735043

    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject
    stateObj) +188
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner,
    Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner,
    String
    protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire,
    Boolean
    encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity,
    SqlConnection
    owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup) +820

    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection
    owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String
    newPassword,
    Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +628

    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity
    identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo,
    String
    newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean
    redirectedUserInstance) +170

    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions
    options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool,
    DbConnection
    owningConnection) +130

    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection
    owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup) +27
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
    owningConnection) +47
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
    outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
    System.Web.Management.SqlServices.GetSqlConnection(String server,
    String
    user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString) +68

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to connect to SQL Server
    database.]
    System.Web.Management.SqlServices.GetSqlConnection(String server,
    String
    user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString) +124
    System.Web.Management.SqlServices.SetupApplicationServices(String
    server,
    String user, String password, Boolean trusted, String
    connectionString,
    String database, String dbFileName, SqlFeatures features, Boolean
    install) +86
    System.Web.Management.SqlServices.Install(String database, String
    dbFileName, String connectionString) +25
    System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.CreateMdfFile(String
    fullFileName, String dataDir, String connectionString) +397
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
    ASP.NET
    Version:2.0.50727.42

    Thanks!!
    XJ, Dec 26, 2007

  2. Hi

    I think the problem is the fact that you didn't enable user instance
    in the Sql Server 2005 Express instance

    to do so run the following in the 'Query' window
    ------- Start T-SQL
    exec sp_configure 'user instances enabled', 1
    -------- End T-SQL
    ---------

    Adlai Maschiach
    http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/adlaim/

    Adlai Maschiach, Dec 26, 2007

  3. XJ

    XJ Guest

    On Dec 26, 2:59 pm, Adlai Maschiach
    <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > System.Web.Management.SqlServices.GetSqlConnection(String server,
    > > String
    > > user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString) +124
    > > System.Web.Management.SqlServices.SetupApplicationServices(String
    > > server,
    > > String user, String password, Boolean trusted, String
    > > connectionString,
    > > String database, String dbFileName, SqlFeatures features, Boolean
    > > install) +86
    > > System.Web.Management.SqlServices.Install(String database, String
    > > dbFileName, String connectionString) +25
    > > System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.CreateMdfFile(String
    > > fullFileName, String dataDir, String connectionString) +397
    > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----
    > > Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;

    thanks for ur reply, however my SQL 2005 version is "Microsoft SQL
    Server Developer Edition" and also when i trying to run for the
    exec sp_configure 'user instances enabled', 1 give give me
    failed, and i have chked for the sp_configure, that is no record under
    this parameter.

    best regards
    XJ, Dec 26, 2007
  4. Re: Visual Studio .NET 2005 WebParts can't connect to SQL Server 2

    Hi

    then try to run first this

    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regsql.exe

    and "rediret" it to this Sql Server ( by default is searches for
    ".\SqlExpress" )
    ---------

    Adlai Maschiach, Dec 26, 2007
  5. Sql 2005 Developer Edition

    Hi

    I have tried on my Sql 2005 Developer Edition and it worked

    again the T-SQL

    sp_configure 'user options' , 1

    try it after the reconfiguration using the EXE tool I have toled you
    --
    ---------
    "×”×× ×”×•×“×¢×” זו הועילה לך?" , ×× × ×”×¦×‘×¢ "כן" למטה

    Adlai Maschiach, Dec 26, 2007
  6. XJ

    XJ Guest

    Re: Sql 2005 Developer Edition

    On Dec 26, 5:35 pm, Adlai Maschiach
    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have tried on my Sql 2005 Developer Edition and it worked
    >
    > again the T-SQL
    >
    > sp_configure 'user options' , 1
    >
    > try it after the reconfiguration using the EXE tool I have toled you
    > --
    > ---------
    > "×”×× ×”×•×“×¢×” זו הועילה לך?"  , ×× × ×”×¦×‘×¢ "כן" למטה
    >
    > Adlai Maschiachhttp://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/adlaim/

    Hi,
    thanks for ur advice; yes after i run for the aspnet_regsql.exe
    and poping a dialog , from there i have configured for the SQL
    setting. and also im able to run for the 'user options' .
    However the error still the same ( even i have restart my SQL Server
    service ).
    XJ, Dec 26, 2007
  7. Re: Sql 2005 Developer Edition

    Hi

    two more things

    1. try for the test to stop the WinXP SP2 Firewall
    2. take a look and see if the SqlServer-Agent is running , if not start it
    3. I would re-run the "EXE"

    and now try again
    ---------

    Adlai Maschiach, Dec 26, 2007
  8. XJ

    XJ Guest

    Re: Sql 2005 Developer Edition

    On Dec 26, 6:40 pm, Adlai Maschiach
    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > two more things
    >
    > 1. try for the test to stop the WinXP SP2 Firewall
    > 2. take a look and see if the SqlServer-Agent is running , if not start it
    > 3. I would re-run the "EXE"
    >
    > and now try again
    > ---------
    >  Adlai Maschiach
    >
    > http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/adlaim/
    >

    > "XJ" wrote:
    > > On Dec 26, 5:35 pm, Adlai Maschiach
    > > <> wrote:
    > > > Hi

    > > > I have tried on my Sql 2005 Developer Edition and it worked

    > > > again the T-SQL

    > > > sp_configure 'user options' , 1

    > > > try it after the reconfiguration using the EXE tool I have toled you
    > > > --
    > > > ---------
    > > > "×”×× ×”×•×“×¢×” זו הועילה לך?"  , ×× × ×”×¦×‘×¢ "כן" למטה

    > > > Adlai Maschiachhttp://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/adlaim/

    > > Hi,
    > >     thanks for ur advice; yes after i run for the aspnet_regsql.exe
    > > and poping a dialog , from there i have configured for the SQL
    > > setting. and also im able to run for the 'user options' .
    > > However the error still the same ( even i have restart my SQL Server
    > > service ).- Hide quoted text -

    no brother, still no luck . :-(
    XJ, Dec 28, 2007
  9. XJ

    XJ Guest

    Re: Sql 2005 Developer Edition

    On Dec 26 2007, 6:40 pm, Adlai Maschiach
    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > two more things
    >
    > 1. try for the test to stop the WinXP SP2 Firewall
    > 2. take a look and see if the SqlServer-Agent is running , if not start it
    > 3. I would re-run the "EXE"
    >
    > and now try again
    > ---------
    >  Adlai Maschiach
    >
    > http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/adlaim/
    >

    > "XJ" wrote:
    > > On Dec 26, 5:35 pm, Adlai Maschiach
    > > <> wrote:
    > > > Hi

    > > > I have tried on my Sql 2005 Developer Edition and it worked

    > > > again the T-SQL

    > > > sp_configure 'user options' , 1

    > > > try it after the reconfiguration using the EXE tool I have toled you
    > > > --
    > > > ---------
    > > > "×”×× ×”×•×“×¢×” זו הועילה לך?"  , ×× × ×”×¦×‘×¢ "כן" למטה

    > > > Adlai Maschiachhttp://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/adlaim/

    > > Hi,
    > >     thanks for ur advice; yes after i run for the aspnet_regsql.exe
    > > and poping a dialog , from there i have configured for the SQL
    > > setting. and also im able to run for the 'user options' .
    > > However the error still the same ( even i have restart my SQL Server
    > > service ).- Hide quoted text -

    Hey! i found the solution !

    http://forums.asp.net/p/897765/972711.aspx

    cheers!!!