Help Python 3.3

radu.bortoi

Hi all,

error: Setup script exited with error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

Visual C++ Express installed.

the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\VCExpress\9.0\Setup\VC\ProductDir
is present and point to the vcvarsall.bat location.
PC restarted(just for fun).

what is wrong??

Zachary Ware

Hi all,

error: Setup script exited with error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

Visual C++ Express installed.

Which version? Python 3.3 requires Visual C++ 2010 (10.0).
the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\VCExpress\9.0\Setup\VC\ProductDir

This looks like Visual C++ 2008 (9.0).
is present and point to the vcvarsall.bat location.
PC restarted(just for fun).

what is wrong??

I would have to guess that you've got the wrong version of Visual C++.
You can install both 2008 and 2010 in parallel, if you need 2008 for
something else.

Hope this helps,

--
Zach

PS: In the future, it is very helpful to say which OS you're using
since Python is usable on so many different platforms. In this case
it's pretty obvious that you're using Windows, but there are still
differences between Windows versions that mean knowing the version
makes support easier.

radu.bortoi

Which version? Python 3.3 requires Visual C++ 2010 (10.0).

This looks like Visual C++ 2008 (9.0).

I would have to guess that you've got the wrong version of Visual C++.

You can install both 2008 and 2010 in parallel, if you need 2008 for

something else.

Hope this helps,

--

Zach

PS: In the future, it is very helpful to say which OS you're using

since Python is usable on so many different platforms. In this case

it's pretty obvious that you're using Windows, but there are still

differences between Windows versions that mean knowing the version

makes support easier.

Terry Reedy

As "you've got the wrong version of Visual C++" isn't easily deduced
from "Unable to find vcvarsall.bat", would it be worth raising an issue
on the bug tracker to get the message changed?

Only if that message comes from something distributed with CPython,
rather than from Microsoft.