    shared and explained. The language used for browser programs should
    be all javascript. With some programs a little php or other cgi may of
    course be involved.

    lorlarz, Aug 21, 2008

  2. lorlarz

    lorlarz Guest

    On Aug 21, 8:43 am, lorlarz <> wrote:
    > Here, let's see what you JavaScript programmers have got
    >
    > Here is a place to share your large or larger full-blown JavaScript
    > applications:
    > real.comp.lang.js.apps  (a new google group)
    >
    > Here is the description of this open public newsgroup:
    > A place where good full-length, full-featured, pure (or near-pure)
    > JavaScript large and larger applications are described and their code
    > shared and explained.  The language used for browser programs should
    > be all javascript. With some programs a little php or other cgi may of
    > course be involved.

    I am just learning how to do this "google groups" thing.
    It looks like I need you to provide you with the web
    address for posting to this open group:
    http://groups.google.com/group/realcomplangjsapps

    Those who know about google groups may email me and
    tell me more.

    lorlarz, Aug 21, 2008

  3. lorlarz

    Mike Duffy Guest

    lorlarz <> wrote in news:a2b53289-abca-4b0c-9f91-
    :

    > On Aug 21, 8:43 am, lorlarz <> wrote:
    >> Here, let's see what you JavaScript programmers have got
    >>
    >> Here is a place to share your large or larger full-blown JavaScript
    >> applications:
    >> real.comp.lang.js.apps  (a new google group)
    >>
    >> Here is the description of this open public newsgroup:
    >> A place where good full-length, full-featured, pure (or near-pure)
    >> JavaScript large and larger applications are described and their code
    >> shared and explained.  The language used for browser programs should
    >> be all javascript. With some programs a little php or other cgi may of
    >> course be involved.

    I am curious about what constitutes a "large" or even "larger full-blown"
    application. My understanding of javascript is that it is used more to
    create several small programs that appear here and there on a website. For
    sure, they can be linked somewhat using cookies and form values, but given
    the limitations (i.e. no filesystem i/o, no network i/o except back to the
    same server, etc), the applications tend to be small.

    So, out of idle curiosity, I went to the web site you mentioned, but I did
    not see any javascript applications of any size. I even tried the link in
    your "motivation" message that is supposed to showcase your work:

    xttp://nottoolate.info

    This simply re-directed me to:

    xttp://mynichecomputing.com/digitallearning/

    Still no javascript. (Note: I have changed http to xttp in my post to
    prevent anyone else from accidentally wasting his time.)

    Mike Duffy, Aug 22, 2008
  4. lorlarz

    lorlarz Guest

    On Aug 21, 10:07 pm, Mike Duffy <> wrote:
    > lorlarz <> wrote in news:a2b53289-abca-4b0c-9f91-
    > :
    >
    > > On Aug 21, 8:43 am, lorlarz <> wrote:
    > >> Here, let's see what you JavaScript programmers have got

    > >> Here is a place to share your large or larger full-blown JavaScript
    > >> applications:
    > >> real.comp.lang.js.apps  (a new google group)

    > >> Here is the description of this open public newsgroup:
    > >> A place where good full-length, full-featured, pure (or near-pure)
    > >> JavaScript large and larger applications are described and their code
    > >> shared and explained.  The language used for browser programs should
    > >> be all javascript. With some programs a little php or other cgi may of
    > >> course be involved.

    > I am curious about what constitutes a "large" or even "larger full-blown"
    > application. My understanding of javascript is that it is used more to
    > create several small programs that appear here and there on a website. For
    > sure, they can be linked somewhat using cookies and form values, but given
    > the limitations (i.e. no filesystem i/o, no network i/o except back to the
    > same server, etc), the applications tend to be small.
    >
    > So, out of idle curiosity, I went to the web site you mentioned, but I did
    > not see any javascript applications of any size. I even tried the link in
    > your "motivation" message that is supposed to showcase your work:
    >
    > xttp://nottoolate.info
    >
    > This simply re-directed me to:
    >
    > xttp://mynichecomputing.com/digitallearning/
    >
    > Still no javascript. (Note: I have changed http to xttp in my post to
    > prevent anyone else from accidentally wasting his time.)

    Did you expect the programs to be right on the
    home page? What a jerK!! Look for links.

    If you explore the links from that home page,
    http://mynichecomputing.com/digitallearning/ ,
    you will find many JS programs -- browser programs
    that interact with the user through several steps and
    made some product they want. That alone, suffices
    as a program: Several steps interacting with a user
    and creating a product which the program user wants.

    I do not mean to over emphasize "large" at all, in
    fact, I want to emphasize the words "program" aka
    "application' (in JavaScript) . If you have
    anything like that which you would like to share
    I invite you to share it here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/realcomplangjsapps

    lorlarz, Aug 22, 2008
  5. lorlarz

    lorlarz Guest

    On Aug 21, 10:07 pm, Mike Duffy <> wrote:
    [snip]
    > My understanding of javascript is that it is used more to
    > create several small programs that appear here and there on a website. For
    > sure, they can be linked somewhat using cookies and form values, but given
    > the limitations (i.e. no filesystem i/o, no network i/o except back to the
    > same server, etc), the applications tend to be small.

    The above understanding of JavaScript is precisely what I know is
    wrong,
    and several (including myself) have proven it wrong. There is the
    capability for full programs (as you, me or anyone would understand
    the word) IN JAVASCRIPT. The fact that there are those still who do
    not even realize this is sad and is why the new google group has
    been started.
    http://groups.google.com/group/realcomplangjsapps

    lorlarz, Aug 22, 2008
  6. lorlarz

    lorlarz Guest

    On Aug 22, 9:18 am, lorlarz <> wrote:
    > On Aug 21, 10:07 pm, Mike Duffy <> wrote:
    > [snip]
    >
    > > My understanding of javascript is that it is used more to
    > > create several small programs that appear here and there on a website. For
    > > sure, they can be linked somewhat using cookies and form values, but given
    > > the limitations (i.e. no filesystem i/o, no network i/o except back to the
    > > same server, etc), the applications tend to be small.

    > The above understanding of JavaScript is precisely what I know is
    > wrong,
    > and several (including myself) have proven it wrong.  There is the
    > capability for full programs (as you, me or anyone would understand
    > the word) IN JAVASCRIPT.  The fact that there are those still who do
    > not even realize this is sad and is why the new google group has
    > been started.http://groups.google.com/group/realcomplangjsapps

    Let me describe one of the more elaborate and fun (and useful and
    interactive and multifaceted) JavaScript programs I have seen,
    just to give you a sense of how few limitations there really are on
    JavaScript for program making.

    I might as well say who did the program and where it can be found,
    right
    up front. The maze I will describe was built with functions via
    programs
    from the book, The Art and Science of JavaScript by Adams, Edwards,
    Heilmann,
    Mahemhoff, Pehlivanian, Webb, Willison (Sitepoint , 2008) Anyhow, this
    PURELY
    JavaScript program allows a user to walk through a very large maze,
    and
    at each step the user can look right and left (and sometimes straight
    ahead)
    and see a different jpeg or gif (or embed). Thus, the program can be
    used,
    for example, an art display vehicle OR a walk through history, etc.,
    etc., etc.,
    (The graphics are amazingly satisfactory (sky, clouds, grass, walls).)

    Now that is not only many steps and much interactivity, producing the
    "product" a user wants BUT the uses for it are amazing and highly
    variable.

    The story (and this is a true story) is not even over yet: The
    author
    of this program (and it is NOT me) also includes a maze builder to
    automatically make different mazes. I have done nothing to improve
    this
    program, except make a small builder to automatically write the code
    for
    placement of the gifs, jpegs, or embeds on the maze walls plus I made
    a mini-maze view, so the user can see the whole make at once from
    above
    and see where they are. The author of the program has given me
    express
    permission to share this program with teacher for fun learning
    activities.

    This is one of the most cool (and very universally useful) javascript
    programs I have seen.

    lorlarz, Aug 22, 2008
  7. lorlarz

    lorlarz Guest

    On Aug 21, 10:07 pm, Mike Duffy <> wrote:
    [snip]

    > My understanding of javascript is that it is used more to
    > create several small programs that appear here and there on a website. For
    > sure, they can be linked somewhat using cookies and form values, but given
    > the limitations (i.e. no filesystem i/o, no network i/o except back to the
    > same server, etc), the applications tend to be small.

    Just out of curiosity, how many in this newsgroup actually
    have this sort of limited understanding of JavaScript?

    Let's get beyond this. Beyond the basic language and problems
    of its use and get to somethings interesting:
    http://groups.google.com/group/realcomplangjsapps

    Some must be sick of the small problems with snippets
    and explaining just the basics of the language.

    lorlarz, Aug 22, 2008
  8. lorlarz wrote:

    > Let's get beyond this. Beyond the basic language and problems
    > of its use and get to somethings interesting:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/realcomplangjsapps

    That would require using Google Groups, so as far as I'm concerned
    it's right out.

    I'm not sure why I'd need or want another forum to discuss ECMAScript
    programs just because they're "large" or "interesting"; if they're
    *that* interesting, they'll probably be appearing in a conference
    presentation or publication or the like. But in any case, I'm
    definitely not going to use the asinine interface of Google Groups for
    the purpose.

    --
    Michael Wojcik
    Micro Focus

    Michael Wojcik, Aug 22, 2008
  9. lorlarz <> writes:

    > On Aug 21, 10:07 pm, Mike Duffy <> wrote:
    > [snip]
    >
    >> My understanding of javascript is that it is used more to
    >> create several small programs that appear here and there on a website. For
    >> sure, they can be linked somewhat using cookies and form values, but given
    >> the limitations (i.e. no filesystem i/o, no network i/o except back to the
    >> same server, etc), the applications tend to be small.

    > Just out of curiosity, how many in this newsgroup actually
    > have this sort of limited understanding of JavaScript?

    Can't speak for others, but for me ... I agree with neither of you.

    Javascript in itself is just a language.

    It can be used in many places, currently including, but not limited
    to, web-pages, PDF files, flash applications, web-servers, .net
    applications in general, and the Windows scripting host.

    The traditional usage in many of these cases are small scripts that
    enhance the experience without being essential, but that is just
    the norm, not the limit. Even just in web-pages, Javascript usage
    spans from simple form-validations to, e.g., GMail and Google Docs.

    The language does not define the use. The target platform of the
    program does, to some extend, but with a wide span (e.g., I haven't
    seen vector graphics in a PDF file yet).

    For web-pages there are generally two approaches:

    1. Improving the experience on a page, but with gracefull degredation
    if scripting is allowed. This is the approach of high-volume sites
    who wants all the customers they can get, even those with javascript
    disabled. The page is not the end goal, but a means to an end (e.g.,
    finding and buying a product).

    2. Browser-applications, where the page depends on scripting to meet
    its intended use. The page is not just presenting information, but
    actively manipulating it and producing content.

    Both are valid.

    > Let's get beyond this. Beyond the basic language and problems
    > of its use and get to somethings interesting:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/realcomplangjsapps

    The title sounds somewhat pretentious. I'd guess, if all I know was
    the name, that it's a vanity group with few (or just one) recurring
    user, and not likely to be interesting in general.

    Starting up a group is not easy unless it covers an existing need,
    manages to become visible to the people with that need, and does
    so in short enough time that it reaches critical mass. Too few users
    at a time just means that those users go away, and new users sees
    an even less populated group.

    I don't generally use Google Groups, either, preferring to stay with
    Usenet. Have they created a NNTP interface to their non-Usenet groups
    yet?

    > Some must be sick of the small problems with snippets
    > and explaining just the basics of the language.

    The problems in writing programs in a language can be separated into
    the problems inherent to the problem domain (the inherent complexity
    of the problem) and the problems deriving from the choice of platform,
    language, or other tools (accidental complexity).

    The problems that are Javascript related are therefore, to a large
    extend, the accidental problems caused by language restrictions or
    problems with the target platform (typically web-browsers). Those
    problems can, generally, be explained by small snippets of code
    that solve that particular problem.
    There is a reason it's what we see :)

    Also, many, many users of Javascript on web-pages are not programmers.
    They rarely try big programs (and good for them, since it's almost
    inevitable that they would fail), so again, their questions are
    solved by small snippets of code.

    More general problems are typically about algorithms or
    data-structures, and would probably fit better in a more general group
    than a language-specific one.

    Also, at a certain level of complexity, it might be simpler to use
    a framework to generate the pages and scripting, instead of writing
    it manually, e.g., GWT. At that point, one will go to the framework's
    community with questions instead of here.

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Aug 22, 2008
  10. lorlarz

    Doug Gunnoe Guest

    On Aug 22, 11:11 am, Lasse Reichstein Nielsen <> wrote:

    > Also, many, many users of Javascript on web-pages are not programmers.
    > They rarely try big programs (and good for them, since it's almost
    > inevitable that they would fail), so again, their questions are
    > solved by small snippets of code.

    Are you talking to me?

    Seriously, this is true (although personally I have done some larger
    stuff). And in fact, I believe JavaScript was created so that non-
    professionals could get some benefit from it.

    And this new guy is funny. The combination of not being very good at
    English and not being the JavaScript expert he thinks he is has made
    for much lolz the last few days.

    Doug Gunnoe, Aug 22, 2008
  11. On Aug 22, 9:11 am, Lasse Reichstein Nielsen <> wrote:

    >  DHTML Death Colors: <URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/rasterTriangleDOM.html>

    That is pretty neat. This one is even better:

    http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/rotatingStar.html

    Peter

    Peter Michaux, Aug 22, 2008
  12. lorlarz

    lorlarz Guest

    On Aug 22, 2:33 pm, Peter Michaux <> wrote:
    > On Aug 22, 9:11 am, Lasse Reichstein Nielsen <> wrote:
    >
    > >  DHTML Death Colors: <URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/rasterTriangleDOM.html>

    > That is pretty neat. This one is even better:
    >
    > http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/rotatingStar.html
    >
    > Peter

    Indeed Lasse Reichstein Nielsen has some neat stuff, that
    could be shared in the new group. The star does
    not seem to be cross-platform, though.

    lorlarz, Aug 22, 2008
  13. lorlarz

    Mike Duffy Guest

    lorlarz <> wrote in

    > On Aug 21, 10:07 pm, Mike Duffy <> wrote:
    >> lorlarz <> wrote in news:a2b53289-abca-4b0c-9f91-
    >> :

    >> I am curious about what constitutes a "large" or even "larger
    >> full-blown" application. My understanding of javascript is that it is
    >> used more to create several small programs that appear here and there
    >> on a website. Fo

    >> sure, they can be linked somewhat using cookies and form values, but
    >> give

    >> the limitations (i.e. no filesystem i/o, no network i/o except back
    >> to th

    >> same server, etc), the applications tend to be small.
    >>
    >> So, out of idle curiosity, I went to the web site you mentioned, but
    >> I di

    >> not see any javascript applications of any size. I even tried the
    >> link in your "motivation" message that is supposed to showcase your
    >> work:
    >>
    >> xttp://nottoolate.info
    >>
    >> This simply re-directed me to:
    >>
    >> xttp://mynichecomputing.com/digitallearning/
    >>
    >> Still no javascript. (Note: I have changed http to xttp in my post to
    >> prevent anyone else from accidentally wasting his time.)

    > Did you expect the programs to be right on the
    > home page? What a jerK!! Look for links.

    I did look for links but alas, could not find any.

    Why not post a few showing a few of your glorious megalithic application?

    Mike Duffy, Aug 22, 2008
  14. lorlarz

    lorlarz Guest

    On Aug 22, 4:24 pm, Mike Duffy <> wrote:
    > lorlarz <> wrote innews::
    >

    > > On Aug 21, 10:07 pm, Mike Duffy <> wrote:
    > >> lorlarz <> wrote in news:a2b53289-abca-4b0c-9f91-
    > >> :

    > >> I am curious about what constitutes a "large" or even "larger
    > >> full-blown" application. My understanding of javascript is that it is
    > >> used more to create several small programs that appear here and there
    > >> on a website. Fo

    > >> sure, they can be linked somewhat using cookies and form values, but
    > >> give

    > >> the limitations (i.e. no filesystem i/o, no network i/o except back
    > >> to th

    > >> same server, etc), the applications tend to be small.

    > >> So, out of idle curiosity, I went to the web site you mentioned, but
    > >> I di

    > >> not see any javascript applications of any size. I even tried the
    > >> link in your "motivation" message that is supposed to showcase your
    > >> work:

    > >> xttp://nottoolate.info

    > >> This simply re-directed me to:

    > >> xttp://mynichecomputing.com/digitallearning/

    > >> Still no javascript. (Note: I have changed http to xttp in my post to
    > >> prevent anyone else from accidentally wasting his time.)

    > > Did you expect the programs to be right on the
    > > home page?  What a jerK!!  Look for links.

    > I did look for links but alas, could not find any.
    >
    > Why not post a few showing a few of your glorious megalithic application?- Hide quoted text -

    I really don't know how you can't identify links (they
    are BLUE, as they so often are)

    One link in the _heading_ at the top of the main page is:

    http://mynichecomputing.com/GuideInfoandPlanner/UniversalDD.htm

    that program provides a link to
    http://mynichecomputing.com/ReadIt/translateT.html

    And, another major link on the digitallearning site's main
    page is http://mynichecomputing.com/linkGuider/
    which itself is direct link to a little application plus
    there are links to many others from that page.

    lorlarz, Aug 22, 2008
  15. lorlarz

    Mike Duffy Guest

    lorlarz <> wrote in

    > On Aug 22, 4:24 pm, Mike Duffy <> wrote:
    >> lorlarz <> wrote
    >> innews:cd70e4a2-38b7-4d44-9f5b-965bc063

    > :

    Thanks. I think I saw the link, but it was not identified as javascript-
    specfic. About the same time I noticed the section asking new users to
    register, and I assumed you were another one of those miscreants that want
    an email address to SPAM in order to give out the promised goods. Please
    accept my apologies.

    My impression of the example you have given (UniversalDD) is that depending
    on the level of familiarity with the technology, most people will fall into
    one of the two categories:

    1) Will not understand what you are asking for in the forms. With no hand-
    holding examples, such a person will also not know what to do with the
    resultant HTML.

    2) Has an example or perhaps a collection of his own stuff he is familiar
    with already in his own "style".

    For sure, what you have will be helpful for those currently in transition
    between the two categories. I suggest you take the time to add more to the
    example. (I.e. you do not need more examples. A lot of people will benefit
    immdediately as it is, but some people are not very computer-savvy.)

    Mike Duffy, Aug 23, 2008
  16. lorlarz

    Mike Duffy Guest

    lorlarz <> wrote in

    > The above understanding of JavaScript is precisely what I know
    > is wrong, and several (including myself) have proven it wrong.
    > There is the capability for full programs ... IN JAVASCRIPT.

    > The fact that there are those still who do not even realize
    > this is sad and is why the new google group has been started.

    Check out my javascript phone poem generator. Go to:

    http://pages.videotron.com/duffym/poetry.htm

    and take the exam at the bottom of the page.

    Mike Duffy, Aug 23, 2008
  17. lorlarz

    Steve Swift Guest

    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen wrote:
    > Also, many, many users of Javascript on web-pages are not programmers.
    > They rarely try big programs (and good for them, since it's almost
    > inevitable that they would fail), so again, their questions are
    > solved by small snippets of code.

    This is exactly me. I see something small, perhaps insignificant, on my
    webpage and realise it can be improved with a little Javascript. It's
    like seeing a board loose in a fence, finding a nail (Javascript) and a
    hammer (my editor) and fixing it. Not much effort, but a lot of
    satisfaction (when I get it to work). I'm picking up Javascript skills
    as I go along. If I live long enough (10,000 years might do) then I'll
    be writing operating systems in Javascript. :)

    --
    Steve Swift
    http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html

    Steve Swift, Aug 23, 2008
  18. lorlarz

    lorlarz Guest

    On Aug 22, 10:38 am, Michael Wojcik <> wrote:
    > lorlarz wrote:
    >
    > > Let's get beyond this.  Beyond the basic language and problems
    > > of its use and get to somethings interesting:
    > >http://groups.google.com/group/realcomplangjsapps

    > That would require using Google Groups, so as far as I'm concerned
    > it's right out.
    >
    > I'm not sure why I'd need or want another forum to discuss ECMAScript
    > programs just because they're "large" or "interesting"; if they're
    > *that* interesting, they'll probably be appearing in a conference
    > presentation or publication or the like. But in any case, I'm
    > definitely not going to use the asinine interface of Google Groups for
    > the purpose.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Wojcik
    > Micro Focus
    > Rhetoric & Writing, Michigan State University

    I know may academics think like you do. Many others do not.
    I would encourage everyone to read the first 6 or so posts
    to the http://groups.google.com/group/realcomplangjsapps group
    to see that there is a rationale for such a group.

    Regarding Rationale:
    One big concern is that the actual JavaScript and the elementals
    of the language never get "lost". And, I am concerned that the
    library users explain what the libraries they use are doing,
    so all of us know.

    Second, the group can thusly, at the same time, provide a
    showcase for us to compare and judge the libraries (YUI, dojo,
    jQuery, prototype et al, Mootools, etc.) for their qualities
    and differences. Those are some of the main elements of the
    rationale for the group and it makes sense to me.

    I, myself, am not the group. If ever a well-known are respected
    person wanted to take over as "owner", I would be glad to
    turn it over.

    lorlarz, Aug 25, 2008
  19. lorlarz

    lorlarz Guest

    On Aug 22, 10:38 am, Michael Wojcik <> wrote:
    > lorlarz wrote:
    >
    > > Let's get beyond this.  Beyond the basic language and problems
    > > of its use and get to somethings interesting:
    > >http://groups.google.com/group/realcomplangjsapps

    > That would require using Google Groups, so as far as I'm concerned
    > it's right out.
    >
    > I'm not sure why I'd need or want another forum to discuss ECMAScript
    > programs just because they're "large" or "interesting"; if they're
    > *that* interesting, they'll probably be appearing in a conference
    > presentation or publication or the like. But in any case, I'm
    > definitely not going to use the asinine interface of Google Groups for
    > the purpose.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Wojcik
    > Micro Focus
    > Rhetoric & Writing, Michigan State University

    I know may academics think like you do. Many others do not.
    I would encourage everyone to read the first 6 or so posts
    to the http://groups.google.com/group/realcomplangjsapps group
    to see that there is a rationale for such a group.

    Regarding Rationale:
    One big concern is that the actual JavaScript and the elementals
    of the language never get "lost". And, I am concerned that the
    library users explain what the libraries they use are doing,
    so all of us know.

    Second, the group can thusly, at the same time, provide a
    showcase for us to compare and judge the libraries (YUI, dojo,
    jQuery, prototype et al, Mootools, etc.) for their qualities
    and differences. Those are some of the main elements of the
    rationale for the group and it makes sense to me.

    I, myself, am not the group. If ever a well-known and respected

    lorlarz, Aug 25, 2008
  20. Michael Wojcik wrote:
    > lorlarz wrote:
    >> Let's get beyond this. Beyond the basic language and problems
    >> of its use and get to somethings interesting:
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/realcomplangjsapps

    > That would require using Google Groups, so as far as I'm concerned
    > it's right out.
    >
    > I'm not sure why I'd need or want another forum to discuss ECMAScript
    > programs just because they're "large" or "interesting"; if they're
    > *that* interesting, they'll probably be appearing in a conference
    > presentation or publication or the like. But in any case, I'm
    > definitely not going to use the asinine interface of Google Groups for
    > the purpose.

    "lorlarz" appears to be a bit of an ass, but, just so you're aware of
    it, Google Groups (of the non-USENET class) can be accessed as
    straightforward mailing lists, rather than via the web. So you shouldn't
    rule something out based solely on dislike of the Google Groups interface.
    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "The bright critics assembled in this volume will doubtless show, in

    John W Kennedy, Aug 25, 2008