    were. i'll regard so much if anybody has an idea, and excuse me about
    my english.

    , Sep 23, 2006

  2. Hi there,

    Assuming you have root priviledges (as you *deleted* the tomcat
    folder), do this:

    $ps -eaf | grep 'java'

    you should see something like:

    tomcat 20201 1 0 Sep10 ? 00:05:19
    /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_06/bin/java
    -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat5/common/endorsed -classapth bla
    bla bla..

    The number 20201 is the process ID in this case. Get the one you see
    and then do this :

    $kill -9 <The number you see>

    That should kill the old process that is sitting there taking up your
    ports.

    -cheers,
    Manish

    Manish Pandit, Sep 23, 2006

  3. gk Guest

    Manish Pandit wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Assuming you have root priviledges (as you *deleted* the tomcat
    > folder), do this:
    >
    > $ps -eaf | grep 'java'
    >
    > you should see something like:
    >
    > tomcat 20201 1 0 Sep10 ? 00:05:19
    > /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_06/bin/java
    > -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat5/common/endorsed -classapth bla
    > bla bla..
    >
    > The number 20201 is the process ID in this case. Get the one you see
    > and then do this :
    >
    > $kill -9 <The number you see>

    Hi Manish ,

    is there any specific reason to put 9 in your command ? why 9 ? what
    it means here ? can we put any number instead of 9 ?

    Thanks

    gk, Sep 23, 2006
  4. "gk" <> wrote in message
    > Manish Pandit wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Assuming you have root priviledges (as you *deleted* the tomcat
    >> folder), do this:
    >>
    >> $ps -eaf | grep 'java'
    >>
    >> you should see something like:
    >>
    >> tomcat 20201 1 0 Sep10 ? 00:05:19
    >> /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_06/bin/java
    >> -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat5/common/endorsed -classapth bla
    >> bla bla..
    >>
    >> The number 20201 is the process ID in this case. Get the one you see
    >> and then do this :
    >>
    >> $kill -9 <The number you see>

    > Hi Manish ,
    >
    > is there any specific reason to put 9 in your command ? why 9 ? what
    > it means here ? can we put any number instead of 9 ?

    The kill command sends an interrupt signal to the process--the number is the
    interrupt number. Signals are sometimes overridden to make the program do
    something, such as reload a file, but signal #9 (the dreaded "kill -9")
    always means halt.

    Matt Humphrey http://www.iviz.com/

    Matt Humphrey, Sep 23, 2006