Hosting Solutions For Full-Text Site

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Cindy, Nov 13, 2008.

  1. Cindy

    Cindy Guest

    Hi. I have a site that stores files on SQL Server tables (possibility
    of a large database) and uses Full-Text Search to search through all
    these files. I was wondering, since traffic might be quite large,
    what companies normally do in such scenarios. I am fairly good with
    programming but machine configuration is not my strong suit.

    First, is there a way to host this ourselves? What kind of equipment
    would we need for a dedicated server and what kind of connection?
    Please describe price ranges if you are familiar with this.

    Second, is there a company that can do the dedicated hosting for us
    with the features that I detailed, above? We are talking about
    hosting a site in which most of the space is taken up by the database
    itself rather than a files scattered on the server. Again, please
    describe "normal" price ranges.

    Any considerations would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you kindly.

    Cindy
    Cindy, Nov 13, 2008

  2. Cindy

    Cindy Guest

    On Nov 13, 1:36 am, Cindy <> wrote:
    > Hi.  I have a site that stores files on SQL Server tables (possibility
    > of a large database) and uses Full-Text Search to search through all
    > these files.  I was wondering, since traffic might be quite large,
    > what companies normally do in such scenarios.  I am fairly good with
    > programming but machine configuration is not my strong suit.
    >
    > First, is there a way to host this ourselves?  What kind of equipment
    > would we need for a dedicated server and what kind of connection?
    > Please describe price ranges if you are familiar with this.
    >
    > Second, is there a company that can do the dedicated hosting for us
    > with the features that I detailed, above?  We are talking about
    > hosting a site in which most of the space is taken up by the database
    > itself rather than a files scattered on the server.  Again, please
    > describe "normal" price ranges.
    >
    > Any considerations would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you kindly.
    >
    > Cindy

    Anyone there?
    Cindy, Nov 13, 2008

  3. Cindy

    Hillbilly Guest

    Look at Microsoft Small Business Server as it comes with SQL Server and you
    can use it to host your own website. You have to buy connectivity like a DSL
    or your ownT1 (not so expensive anymore) from some service provider that
    will give you at least 1 or more static IPs.

    There's all kinds of hosting providers. Microsoft uses Orcsweb for some
    things now and then.

    "Cindy" <> wrote in message
    On Nov 13, 1:36 am, Cindy <> wrote:
    > Hi. I have a site that stores files on SQL Server tables (possibility
    > of a large database) and uses Full-Text Search to search through all
    > these files. I was wondering, since traffic might be quite large,
    > what companies normally do in such scenarios. I am fairly good with
    > programming but machine configuration is not my strong suit.
    >
    > First, is there a way to host this ourselves? What kind of equipment
    > would we need for a dedicated server and what kind of connection?
    > Please describe price ranges if you are familiar with this.
    >
    > Second, is there a company that can do the dedicated hosting for us
    > with the features that I detailed, above? We are talking about
    > hosting a site in which most of the space is taken up by the database
    > itself rather than a files scattered on the server. Again, please
    > describe "normal" price ranges.
    >
    > Any considerations would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you kindly.
    >
    > Cindy

    Anyone there?
    Hillbilly, Nov 13, 2008