Hotlinking.. to my pictures.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Sandi, Jul 26, 2003.

  1. Sandi

    Sandi Guest

    I don't mind others liking my site so much that they link to it, I
    have let some school and other sites post my pictures, and usually
    they will link to it. Recently I became aware of "hotlinking" (I guess
    it was never a concern of mine,, until people actually started
    visiting my site.)
    I recently found a couple of pages that had hotlinked to some pictures
    of mine, and the way they were presented on the pages gave no
    indication of who the pictures belong too.
    Really doesn't bother me, except they didn't even bother to store the
    pictures in their own web space. I found one that is actually a pretty
    major site, that brags of "stolen pictures" so I found a way to deal
    with it.
    I was wondering if this is acceptable in the circle of the internet. I
    did not use porn or anything bad, but rather replaced the original
    pictures with an "offer" to see the picture by visiting the site where
    it is located.
    Is there anything wrong with this?
    My site is strictly non commercial, it is an information and picture
    site of Arizona.
    This is one page that hotlinked to my site, if you scroll down to the
    picture that has been reversed, flipped and only half there... with a
    message and the word "MONSOON" under it, that is the one that is
    actually on my site, but they have on their site (this was even masked
    by a fake URL if you try to save the picture from their site, the only
    way I figured it out was by viewing their "source" and reading the
    script).
    I would like opinion on if what I did was okay....Here is the link
    http://padacia.blogspot.com/
    The true link for the site the picture is on is
    http://arizonainformation.freeservers.com/mesapic.html
    Sandi
    Sandi, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Sandi

    rf Guest

    "Michael Wilcox" <> wrote in message
    > Sandi <> wrote:
    > > Is there anything wrong with this?

    > Protecting images has long been the peril of many webmasters. If you find

    > good solution to it, tell us. Otherwise, what your doing is fine, and
    > sending an email to the other webmasters would hurt (it's illegal if they
    > haven't given you credit).

    Nope. It's illegal even if they do give the OP credit. What they need is the
    OP's explicit *permission*, in writing, assuming said OP actually owns the
    copyright to the image in the first place. If the latter is not the case
    then the OP is in breach of copyright as well.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jul 26, 2003

  3. Sandi

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    Sandi said...

    > I recently found a couple of pages that had hotlinked to some pictures
    > of mine, and the way they were presented on the pages gave no
    > indication of who the pictures belong too.
    > Really doesn't bother me,

    it doesn't bother you that you're paying the bandwidth costs for other
    people to present your content on their site?

    > I found a way to deal with it. I was wondering if this is acceptable in the
    > circle of the internet. I did not use porn or anything bad, but rather
    > replaced the original pictures with an "offer" to see the picture by
    > visiting the site where it is located. Is there anything wrong with this?

    no, they were stealing from you. there may also be copyright issues.

    > I would like opinion on if what I did was okay....

    its fine. its your content, your site, you can do what you want but
    you didn't do enough. i would have complained to the offending sites
    host and had them shut down. i would also have had a lawyer contact
    them with a demand of payment for renting my images and bandwidth
    costs. if the site was making money such as banner adds i would
    increase the amount. etc etc.

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 26/July/2003 04:28:23 pm kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/
    brucie, Jul 26, 2003
  4. Sandi

    Nick Howes Guest

    > Sandi <> wrote:
    > > Is there anything wrong with this?

    > Protecting images has long been the peril of many webmasters. If you find

    > good solution to it, tell us. Otherwise, what your doing is fine, and
    > sending an email to the other webmasters would hurt (it's illegal if they
    > haven't given you credit).

    Would it be possible for a webserver log to record the location of a page an
    image was loaded from? I don't know much about logs so I don't know if it's
    possible.
    Nick Howes, Jul 26, 2003
  5. Sandi

    brucie Guest

    In post <bftghd$rnf$>
    Nick Howes said...

    > Would it be possible for a webserver log to record the location of a page an
    > image was loaded from? I don't know much about logs so I don't know if it's
    > possible.

    yes but i've noticed a lot of log analyzers have been dumbed down or
    only show the "top 10" so they may not show the requests.

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_log_common.html

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 26/July/2003 07:17:57 pm kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/
    brucie, Jul 26, 2003
  6. Sandi wrote:
    > I don't mind others liking my site so much that they link to it, I
    > have let some school and other sites post my pictures, and usually
    > they will link to it. Recently I became aware of "hotlinking" (I guess
    > it was never a concern of mine,, until people actually started
    > visiting my site.)
    > I recently found a couple of pages that had hotlinked to some pictures
    > of mine, and the way they were presented on the pages gave no
    > indication of who the pictures belong too.
    > Really doesn't bother me, except they didn't even bother to store the
    > pictures in their own web space. I found one that is actually a pretty
    > major site, that brags of "stolen pictures" so I found a way to deal
    > with it.
    > I was wondering if this is acceptable in the circle of the internet. I
    > did not use porn or anything bad, but rather replaced the original
    > pictures with an "offer" to see the picture by visiting the site where
    > it is located.
    > Is there anything wrong with this?
    > My site is strictly non commercial, it is an information and picture
    > site of Arizona.
    > This is one page that hotlinked to my site, if you scroll down to the
    > picture that has been reversed, flipped and only half there... with a
    > message and the word "MONSOON" under it, that is the one that is
    > actually on my site, but they have on their site (this was even masked
    > by a fake URL if you try to save the picture from their site, the only
    > way I figured it out was by viewing their "source" and reading the
    > script).
    > I would like opinion on if what I did was okay....Here is the link
    > http://padacia.blogspot.com/
    > The true link for the site the picture is on is
    > http://arizonainformation.freeservers.com/mesapic.html
    > Sandi

    If you have control over the configuration of the Webserver, Apache
    Mod_rewrite will do the job...

    http://faq.solutionscripts.com/misc/hot_linking.html
    Fliiber Gibbet, Jul 26, 2003
  7. Sandi

    Sandi Guest

    "Michael Wilcox" <> wrote in message
    > > I would like opinion on if what I did was okay....Here is the link
    > > http://padacia.blogspot.com/
    > > The true link for the site the picture is on is
    > > http://arizonainformation.freeservers.com/mesapic.html

    > All I see is a bunch of big messages warning about the dangers of
    > hotlinking. Is this what you see too?

    No,, if you ment you clicked on the links and that is what you saw...
    The first link it the "Blogspot" site, which had my picture
    "hotlinked" from it. It actually had someone elses name by it... and
    the second link it the page that the picture was from.. until
    yesterday when I changed its name and put the previous name on the
    picture that is still on blogspot. Does that make sense???

    I don't know if I am explaining things right...
    Sandi
    Sandi, Jul 26, 2003