    I ask this purely out of curiosity.

    --
    Oli
    Oli Filth, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Oli Filth

    Els Guest

    Oli Filth wrote:

    > Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN
    > 4.8, I was wondering how many different browser versions
    > people test their sites against. For instance, do people
    > still make sure their sites work on IE 4? What are people's
    > cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on PDAs,
    > phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?

    I test on IE 5, 5.5, 6, Firebird, Firefox 0.8 and 1.0, Opera 6
    and 7 (and 8 soon), Mozilla 1.4, NN 7.1, and even NN 4.78 if I
    had time to make a simple stylesheet for it. Oh, and in Lynx to
    see obvious errors and for accessibility.

    I don't test for PDA's, cause I don't own one. Tested some sites
    today on my cellphone, and saw it sometimes doesn't display
    forms, and sometimes it does. No idea why though, not worried
    about phones yet.

    > I ask this purely out of curiosity.

    Curiosity is good :) (imnsho)

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Jan 4, 2005

  3. Oli Filth

    Els Guest

    Oli Filth wrote:

    > Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN
    > 4.8, I was wondering how many different browser versions
    > people test their sites against. For instance, do people
    > still make sure their sites work on IE 4? What are people's
    > cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on PDAs,
    > phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?

    I see I forgot to answer that last question:
    Yes, I check if my sites work properly in small windows and in
    large windows, and in between too. Not the screen resolution as
    such, just the window size. Any page I make, I check whilst
    dragging the window from small to wide and vice versa :)

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Jan 4, 2005
  4. Oli Filth wrote :
    > Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN 4.8, I was
    > wondering how many different browser versions people test their sites
    > against. For instance, do people still make sure their sites work on IE 4?
    > What are people's cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on PDAs,
    > phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?
    >
    > I ask this purely out of curiosity.

    I personally test on...

    Firefox 1.0
    Mozilla 1.5
    Mozilla 1.6
    Mozilla 1.7
    Opera 7.54
    Netscape 7.1
    Netscape 4.79 (just for curiosity and a chance to waste some time)
    IE 5.5
    IE 6.0
    Symbian Opera
    Lynx 2.8.3

    --
    dont pick your nose if it is sore
    Disco Octopus, Jan 4, 2005
  5. Oli Filth

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Oli Filth wrote:
    > Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN 4.8, I was
    > wondering how many different browser versions people test their sites
    > against. For instance, do people still make sure their sites work on IE
    > 4? What are people's cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on
    > PDAs, phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?
    >
    > I ask this purely out of curiosity.

    Very much depends on your audience.

    The majority of our sites are band related, and tend to be flashy and
    fluffy and very visual. They're tested in IE 5.5 and upwards, FireFox
    and Mozilla, IE 5.2 on the Mac. Anything else is likely not to be able
    to display the multimedia content at all so we ignore it (although, an
    effort to "fail safe" is always made). We always make sure our sites
    fully validate, but they tend to require JS and/or Flash. We dont test
    at different resolutions. We design for 800x600 and upwards.

    For some of our content (RSS/XML etc) we do test on portable devices
    (mostly phones).

    For more generic sites (simple sites) we'll test on a few other
    browsers, but not much effort is put in as it is only represenative of a
    tiny fraction of the visiting public.

    If a site was required to work on a PDA or phone, we would design
    specific content for those devices. There is no way even the best scaled
    flexi content will fit on a 160 pixel display without gazzilions of
    pages of scrolling or maintain any sense of design.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 4, 2005
  6. "Disco Octopus" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Oli Filth wrote :
    > > Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN 4.8, I was
    > > wondering how many different browser versions people test their sites
    > > against. For instance, do people still make sure their sites work on IE

    4?
    > > What are people's cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on

    PDAs,
    > > phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?
    > >
    > > I ask this purely out of curiosity.

    > I personally test on...
    >
    > Firefox 1.0
    > Mozilla 1.5
    > Mozilla 1.6
    > Mozilla 1.7
    > Opera 7.54
    > Netscape 7.1
    > Netscape 4.79 (just for curiosity and a chance to waste some time)
    > IE 5.5
    > IE 6.0
    > Symbian Opera
    > Lynx 2.8.3

    Do you have all these browsers in the same PC?

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/valkommen.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 4, 2005
  7. Oli Filth

    Lloyd Guest

    > Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN 4.8, I was
    > wondering how many different browser versions people test their sites
    > against. For instance, do people still make sure their sites work on IE 4?
    > What are people's cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on PDAs,
    > phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?

    Somebody should make a 'super-browser' that can toggle thru all the browsers
    using your page, any takers?
    Lloyd
    Lloyd, Jan 4, 2005
  8. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote :
    > "Disco Octopus" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Oli Filth wrote :
    >>> Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN 4.8, I was
    >>> wondering how many different browser versions people test their sites
    >>> against. For instance, do people still make sure their sites work on IE 4?
    >>> What are people's cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on PDAs,
    >>> phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?
    >>>
    >>> I ask this purely out of curiosity.

    >> I personally test on...
    >>
    >> Firefox 1.0
    >> Mozilla 1.5
    >> Mozilla 1.6
    >> Mozilla 1.7
    >> Opera 7.54
    >> Netscape 7.1
    >> Netscape 4.79 (just for curiosity and a chance to waste some time)
    >> IE 5.5
    >> IE 6.0
    >> Symbian Opera
    >> Lynx 2.8.3

    > Do you have all these browsers in the same PC?

    all but the IE5.5 / 6.0

    I have IE5.5 on a win2K and the IE6 on a XP pro

    --
    eating alone is medicinal
    Disco Octopus, Jan 4, 2005
  9. Oli Filth

    Els Guest

    Lloyd wrote:

    >> Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN
    >> 4.8, I was wondering how many different browser versions
    >> people test their sites against.

    > Somebody should make a 'super-browser' that can toggle thru
    > all the browsers using your page, any takers?
    > Lloyd

    Why? I toggle between all the browsers with alt-tab already ;-)

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Jan 4, 2005
  10. Oli Filth

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Lloyd <> said:

    > Somebody should make a 'super-browser' that can toggle thru all the browsers
    > using your page, any takers?

    Not quite what you mean, but I just open it in Mozilla, then right click
    and open in IE and Opera. Haven't got around to adding other browsers
    yet.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jan 4, 2005
  11. Oli Filth

    rf Guest

    "Disco Octopus" <> wrote
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote :

    > > Do you have all these browsers in the same PC?

    > all but the IE5.5 / 6.0
    >
    > I have IE5.5 on a win2K and the IE6 on a XP pro

    FWIW I have 4, 5, 5.5 and 6 all on one computer.

    http://www.quirksmode.org/browsers/multipleie.html

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jan 4, 2005
  12. Oli Filth

    KHaled Guest

    Oli Filth <> wrote in

    > Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN
    > 4.8, I was wondering how many different browser versions
    > people test their sites against. For instance, do people
    > still make sure their sites work on IE 4? What are people's
    > cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on PDAs,
    > phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?
    >
    > I ask this purely out of curiosity.

    I think it would be more useful to develop according to
    standards, and use the lowest standard that enables you to
    produce the web pages that you want.

    --
    KHaled

    e-mail: khaledihREMOVEUPPERCASELETTERS at fusemail dot net
    (correcting antispam crap..)
    please start your subject line with the string "==NG=="
    KHaled, Jan 4, 2005
  13. Lloyd schrieb:
    >>Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN 4.8, I was
    >>wondering how many different browser versions people test their sites
    >>against. For instance, do people still make sure their sites work on IE 4?
    >>What are people's cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on PDAs,
    >>phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?
    >>

    > Somebody should make a 'super-browser' that can toggle thru all the browsers
    > using your page, any takers?

    i think netscape 8.0 will be such a browser. see (in German):
    http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/53806

    it will contain Gecko AND IE engine. And users will be able to switch
    between both modes.

    bernhard
    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 4, 2005
  14. On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 01:30:45 GMT, Oli Filth <>
    wrote:

    > Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN 4.8, I was wondering
    > how many different browser versions people test their sites against. For
    > instance, do people still make sure their sites work on IE 4? What are
    > people's cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on PDAs, phones, etc.?
    > Different screen resolutions?

    The only machine I have is a WinXP notbook, so I have little choice there.

    I start with Opera 7.54. I make sure code is valid and works just the way I want
    to in that browser. I don't look at older versions of Opera, because I think
    (maybe wrongly so) that Opera users will keep their browsers updated.
    Then I switch to FireFox v1.0PR (never got around to updating to the official
    first release). I run into some minor things if I view new pages in that
    browser, mainly to do with padding on <li> that can cause real pain with menu's.
    Then I look in IE6. Just to find what falls apart in that crappy old thing.
    Mainly to do with the box model, easily fixed with using the child selector in
    my stylesheets. I don't go out of my way to redesign the lot just for IE. If it
    works, it is good enough for me.

    Finally I look in Lynx (for Win) and on an old Psion 5mx in 'Web', an symbian
    application from several years back. My guess is, that if my pages render fine
    in those two, they'll do good in almost anything (except ofcourse in NN4.8 ;-) ).

    Whenever I see the opportunity, I'll bother friends and family to check my pages
    in their machines. Sometimes this is a Mac, sometimes they still run
    IE5.somthing, most of the times their screens are very different from mine.
    Sometimes I spot a problem, but usually things work. Maybe not allways as pretty
    as I intended, but things work. And that is the main goal.

    > I ask this purely out of curiosity.

    What do you test in?

    --
    ,-- --<--@ ---- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: -----------.
    | weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html> |
    Barbara de Zoete, Jan 4, 2005
  15. Oli Filth schrieb:
    > Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN 4.8, I was
    > wondering how many different browser versions people test their sites
    > against. For instance, do people still make sure their sites work on IE
    > 4? What are people's cut-off points for browser age? Do people test on
    > PDAs, phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?
    >
    > I ask this purely out of curiosity.

    Depends on the customers specs. Usually they ask for latest browser
    standards (I have a lot of gov. customers, and they have to follow WAI
    guidelines). So it's most of the time:

    (and above)
    IE5.x (Win XP)
    IE6.x (Win XP)
    Netscape 6.x (Win XP)
    Opera 6.x (Win XP)
    Netscape 6.x (Win XP)
    Firefox 0.8 (Win XP)
    Camino 0.7 (Win XP)
    Mozilla 1.7 (Win XP)
    Lynx 2.x (Win XP)
    Konqueror 3.x (on Linux)
    IE 5.x (Mac OS9.1)
    Netscape 6.x (Mac OS9.1)
    Safari 1.x (Mac OSX)

    Sometimes:
    IBM HomePage Reader 3.x (Win XP)

    Screen res always: 800px x 600px

    And yes: we have several machines which serve only for the purpose to
    test sites.

    bernhard
    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 4, 2005
  16. Oli Filth wrote:
    > Prompted by the recent discussion on testing sites for NN 4.8, I was
    > wondering how many different browser versions people test their sites

    > against. For instance, do people still make sure their sites work on

    IE
    > 4? What are people's cut-off points for browser age? Do people test

    on
    > PDAs, phones, etc.? Different screen resolutions?
    > I ask this purely out of curiosity.

    We test on FireFox and IE, the latest versions of both. But then we do
    Web Applications and do not have the same accessibility requirements
    your normal web site does.
    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jan 4, 2005
  17. Oli Filth

    Oli Filth Guest

    Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >> I ask this purely out of curiosity.
    >>

    > What do you test in?

    At the moment, I'm making sites purely for fun and for learning.
    Therefore I only bother to test against the latest versions of the
    browsers I have installed, i.e. Firefox 1.0, Opera 7.54 and IE 6 (SP2).

    What I'm most interested in is how far back people are willing to go.
    For instance, do people still bother to test against ancient browsers
    like IE 3?

    Oli
    Oli Filth, Jan 5, 2005
  18. Oli Filth wrote :
    > Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >>> I ask this purely out of curiosity.
    >>>

    >> What do you test in?
    >>

    > At the moment, I'm making sites purely for fun and for learning. Therefore I
    > only bother to test against the latest versions of the browsers I have
    > installed, i.e. Firefox 1.0, Opera 7.54 and IE 6 (SP2).
    >
    > What I'm most interested in is how far back people are willing to go. For
    > instance, do people still bother to test against ancient browsers like IE 3?

    No.

    --
    eating alone is medicinal
    Disco Octopus, Jan 5, 2005
  19. Oli Filth

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Oli Filth <> said:

    > For instance, do people still bother to test against ancient browsers
    > like IE 3?

    IE3? Not me. I do occasionally test in Mosaic 0.4beta though. :)

    Mark Parnell, Jan 5, 2005
  20. Oli Filth

    Jim Royal Guest

    In article <Xns95D469F146B74khaledlocalhost@130.133.1.4>, KHaled
    <> wrote:

    > > I was wondering how many different browser versions
    > > people test their sites against.

    > I think it would be more useful to develop according to
    > standards, and use the lowest standard that enables you to
    > produce the web pages that you want.

    And how does this relieve you of the need to test your pages?

    --
    Jim Royal
    "Understanding is a three-edged sword"
    Jim Royal, Jan 5, 2005