How to deploy ASP.NET Apps

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nus Pieds, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Nus Pieds

    Nus Pieds Guest

    Hi,

    I create and develop my ASP.NET apps locally on my PC,
    which is running IIS. Now I want to deploy those apps on
    another web server (application run-time only), so what
    exactly are the steps?

    The target web server is a User Test web server which has
    the .NET Framework only, no VS .NET of course. My first
    attempt was to copy the bin directory and the .ASPX files
    and that initially worked until I invoked a feature in my
    app, which creates an Access database. That feature
    rquires ADODB.DLL, and it was not on the User Test web
    server, so the application crashed.

    What are the steps in deploying a web app from a dev
    server to a run-time server? Besides the bin directory,
    how do I know and how can I ensure that all the dependent
    files are also deployed?

    Thanks,

    NP

    Nus Pieds, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Nus Pieds

    Nus Pieds Guest

    Indeed it does! Thanks a lot.

    Much appreciated,

    NP

    Nus Pieds, Jul 17, 2003

  3. Nus Pieds

    Nus Pieds Guest

    Thanks, Steve.

    I just tried it and that does the trick! I've seen that
    menu option before, but I never clicked it because I took
    it to only literally mean just a copy (i.e., duplicate).

    But even in the online help, I looked up Deploying
    Projects in the index and did not find a reference to Copy
    Project.

    Anyway, thanks for the info!

    NP

    Project..." menu item.
    >Select it, and a nice friendly dialog box pops up with

    instructions and help

    Nus Pieds, Jul 17, 2003
  4. Even better than copy project, in my opinion, is the fact that you can
    create an MSI file to install a web site on a server. My admins love just
    getting a single file which deploys a site completely and accurately every
    time.

    --
    Chris Jackson
    Software Engineer