how to determine if link is directory or file?

bart plessers

Hello,

Currently I am developping a internet "directory browser"

My page 'default.asp' has following entries:

CurrentPATH = Request("MyLink")
Set oFolder = oFSO.GetFolder(CurrentPATH)
Set oFolderContents = oFolder.Files

this works fine with 'default.asp?MyPath', where "MyPath" stands for i.e.
c:\temp\
but NOT with 'default.asp?MyFile', where MyFile stands for i.e.
c:\temp\file.txt

Is there a way to determine if the link contains a file or a path? Of course
you can check for a dot (after dot, normaly it is an extension, thus a
file), but I want to have it possible also to have dots in my directories...

Anybody?

tia!

bartp

Hyper A.R.T.
bart plessers
Paul Van Ostaijenlaan 4
3001 Heverlee
BELGIUM
tel: +32 (16) 23.40.85
fax: +32 (16) 23.41.06

Ray at

How about:

CurrentPATH = Request.QUERYSTRING("MyLink")
Set oFSO = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Select Case True
Case oFSO.FileExists(CurrentPATH)
'''you have a file
Case oFSO.FolderExists(CurrentPATH)
'''you have a directory
Case Else
'''you have nothing
End Select
'''etc.

Ray at home

bart plessers

Hi ray!
thanx for quick reply

I wasn't aware of your suggested script. Nice!

However,
I want to have a browser based on URL, not on directorypaths,

so

CurrentURL = Request.QueryString("Path")
CurrentPATH = server.mappath(CurrentURL) & "\"
Select Case True
Case oFSO.FileExists(CurrentPATH)
'''you have a file
Case oFSO.FolderExists(CurrentPATH)
'''you have a directory
Set oFolder = oFSO.GetFolder(CurrentPATH)
Set oFolderContents = oFolder.Files
Case Else
'''you have nothing
End Select

gives an error on line 2 because i.e.

path = /multimedia/2003/party/
then CurrentPATH = D:\Inetpub\multimedia\2003\party\

but

path = /multimedia/2003/party/image01.gif
then ERROR on CurrenPATH because the function server.mappath doesn't seems
to work on files

To avoid this problem, I should place the CurrentPATH assignment in the Case
where my "Path" string contains a folder.
But I need the CurrentPath in the Case-statement...

Do you have a suggestion where I can check on URL's (not on paths) if they
are a file or a directory?

Hyper A.R.T.
bart plessers
Paul Van Ostaijenlaan 4
3001 Heverlee
BELGIUM
tel: +32 (16) 23.40.85
fax: +32 (16) 23.41.06

Ray at

Perhaps the problem is that you're adding a \ onto the end of your path, so
you're going to wind up with something like:

D:\Inetpub\multimedia\2003\party\image01.gif\

Ray at home

bart plessers

hi ray,

unfortunatly that isn't the problem.
I also noticed this issue, and removed the backslash. Nothing changed.

In fact I need a tool wether or not a relative URL (something like
"\multimedia\party\" or "\multimedia\party\image.gif") is pointing to a
directory of file.

You don't know any syntax in asp that can do that job?

tia

bartp

Hyper A.R.T.
bart plessers
Paul Van Ostaijenlaan 4
3001 Heverlee
BELGIUM
tel: +32 (16) 23.40.85
fax: +32 (16) 23.41.06

bart plessers

oops. sorry. to quick, you were right!

many thanx for your time and sorry for my arrogance

bartp

Hyper A.R.T.
bart plessers
Paul Van Ostaijenlaan 4