How to do transparent (opaque) windows from Python

Don Taylor

I want to build an application in Python that can show an opaque window
so that you can still see and type into any window that it covers.

Sort of like a software mylar transparency sheet placed over the screen.
I need to be able to type 'through' the transparency into the
underlying application, focus remains on the underlying window.

My application is assisted typing, but I can envisage other uses such as
on-screen rulers.

While I would like this to be multi-platform, I need it in MS-Windows.

Does anyone know of any Python packages that can do this type of thing?

Thanks,

Don.

Matimus

I want to build an application in Python that can show an opaque window
so that you can still see and type into any window that it covers.

Sort of like a software mylar transparency sheet placed over the screen.
I need to be able to type 'through' the transparency into the
underlying application, focus remains on the underlying window.

My application is assisted typing, but I can envisage other uses such as
on-screen rulers.

While I would like this to be multi-platform, I need it in MS-Windows.

Does anyone know of any Python packages that can do this type of thing?

I don't think opaque means what you think it means:
http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Opaque. The best option for
transparency is probably to look at the .NET framework in Windows, via
IronPython. I only say that because I know that I've seen demos of
transparent windows in .NET that were native to Windows and simple to
implement. I don't know if you can do transparency in wx, but I would
certainly check out the wxPython demos first to see if it has
anything. http://www.wxpython.org. wxpython would give you cross
platform support, if it works.

Matt