How to Download Remote SQL Server Database to Desktop for Development (Desktop Has MSDE & Visual Stu

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by TC, Feb 5, 2005.

  1. TC

    TC Guest

    Hello All,

    I apology for posting to many groups but I wasn't sure which group would be
    best targeted with my question.

    I have inherited an ASP.Net application that requires some maintenance & bug
    fixes. I have been asked to also download a copy of the remote SQL Server
    database that it uses on the background for potential maintenance and
    changes as well.

    The application runs fine from my development environment on my desktop.

    Does anybody have any experience, advice or answers regarding a method(s) to
    download & use a remotely stored SQL Server database?

    Thanks & Regards,

    TC

    TC, Feb 5, 2005

  2. TC

    Jack Jackson Guest

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:19:53 -0500, "TC" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello All,
    >
    >I apology for posting to many groups but I wasn't sure which group would be
    >best targeted with my question.
    >
    >I have inherited an ASP.Net application that requires some maintenance & bug
    >fixes. I have been asked to also download a copy of the remote SQL Server
    >database that it uses on the background for potential maintenance and
    >changes as well.
    >
    >The application runs fine from my development environment on my desktop.
    >
    >Does anybody have any experience, advice or answers regarding a method(s) to
    >download & use a remotely stored SQL Server database?

    If I understand what you want:

    Create a backup of the database
    Transfer the backup to your computer
    Install SQL Server on your computer
    Create a database and restore the backup.

    Jack Jackson, Feb 5, 2005

  3. TC

    TC Guest

    Hey Jack,

    The backup is already created remotely by someone else.

    Basically, I need to transfer a copy to my computer. I was also wondering
    if I can work on the database using the MSDE that installs with Visual
    Studio?

    When completed with any changes, yes, I would like to be able to then upload
    it up to the remote server.

    Thanks & Regards,

    TC

    TC, Feb 5, 2005
  4. TC

    oj Guest

    You should be able to use the backup copy of the database. Be aware that
    there are limitations depending on the source and target editions.

    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/overview/default.asp
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/268361
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314546

    --
    -oj

    oj, Feb 5, 2005
  5. To restore a copy of the production database to your local development
    server, just ask the network admin to set you up with a read-only login for
    the folder where the database backups are maintained. You can then retore
    the a full backup file to your server. Transferring logins and permissions
    is a pain in the ass (it sometimes requires excuting system SPs manually for
    each login), so you will probably want to do this type of full restore only
    once.

    Once done, generate scripts for any SPs, table changes, etc. that you make
    in development, and deploy only the scripts to production (remember to
    include the permissions option) when generating the scripts.

    I would not reccoment restoring the database from development back to
    production. This would present some very nasty logistical problems when
    trying to maintain data, permissions and server uptime. After all, you can
    spend half a day debuging your development database, but having the
    production database offline for that much time could be a disaster.

    JohnnyAppleseed, Feb 7, 2005