How to export the Web form results to Excel file?

ms.wcchan

Dearest I.T. professional,

I am now doing a survey and would like to ask all customers to submit
the questionnaire online so that I can collect the results in the
excel file.

What programming language and how to write script to click the submit
button and all results will be saved to Excel file? When I open the
excel file, results from different customers will be saved in it and
all results will be written one by one.

Thank you very much

papatyam

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in
Dearest I.T. professional,

I am now doing a survey and would like to ask all customers to submit
the questionnaire online so that I can collect the results in the
excel file.

What programming language and how to write script to click the submit
button and all results will be saved to Excel file? When I open the
excel file, results from different customers will be saved in it and
all results will be written one by one.

Thank you very much

papatyam

I don't know if you can directly save to an Excel file, but, if you use
a table, you can tell Excel to use that tables data. Look at the Data
column in Excel.

McKirahan

Dearest I.T. professional,

I am now doing a survey and would like to ask all customers to submit
the questionnaire online so that I can collect the results in the
excel file.

What programming language and how to write script to click the submit
button and all results will be saved to Excel file? When I open the
excel file, results from different customers will be saved in it and
all results will be written one by one.

One suggestion is to just use FSO on ther server to create a CSV file
which you can subsequently double-click on to open it up in MS-Excel.

If you choose yo use MS-Excel then you should probably start with a
worksheet layed out the way you want it -- titles, column heading and
spacing, etc. When adding a row you'll have to identify the last row
used and insert the data in the next row. You'll also have a greater
concern with concurrent updates; that is, two users submitting their
results at the same time.

McKirahan

[snip]

Also, is MS-Excel installed on the server?
Likely not if you're using a hosting service.
If it is installed, is it accessible from ASP?

Adrienne Boswell

[snip]

Also, is MS-Excel installed on the server?
Likely not if you're using a hosting service.
If it is installed, is it accessible from ASP?

You don't have to have Excel on the server. All you have to do is:
Data -> Import External Data -> New Web Query. You can create a
spreadsheet from any web page. Hopefully, the author (of the page) has
not abused tables and the data is in one single table.

I am doing this for my boss, because she does not want to go to the url
where the data is stored coming out of a database. It's eaiser for me
to write to the table and get the results.

Another alternative is to write the results to a csv file and import
that into Excel.

To the OP: Frankly, the best bet is to write to a db table. Use the
right tool for the job -- Excel is for spreadsheets, Access is for data,
Word is for documents, FrontPage is _not_ for creating pages for the
WWW.