How to force a New Session and SessionID

Guest

I have an app that uses the sessionID to track user navigation and usage
through the application.

It works fine except in one case:
There is a point in the application where I want to "close" the user's
tracking and handle the user as if he had just logged on. To do that, I need
a new sessionID. But even if I call Session.Abandon(), the user's SessionID
does not change -- it just dumps session values.

How can I force a new sessionID at some point in the application? Or must I
think of a different way of creating an ID to track the user in the
application?

Thanks

Marina

I am assuming you are using the SessionID to track something else. In this
case, use another ID created by you, and store that as a session variable.
When you abandon the session, this session variable will be gone, and you
will need to create another one. Now you have a new unique ID to use.

Mythran

Hardin said:
I have an app that uses the sessionID to track user navigation and usage
through the application.

It works fine except in one case:
There is a point in the application where I want to "close" the user's
tracking and handle the user as if he had just logged on. To do that, I
need
a new sessionID. But even if I call Session.Abandon(), the user's
SessionID
does not change -- it just dumps session values.

How can I force a new sessionID at some point in the application? Or must
think of a different way of creating an ID to track the user in the
application?

Thanks

If I remember correctly, the Session.Abandon method does indeed work
correctly, but not as you would think it would. When you call
Session.Abandon, it will abandon the Session as soon as the current request
is completed. So, something like the following snippet should help:

Session.Abandon()
Response.Redirect(Request.Path) ' Can't remember exact property of Request
to get the current file's path.

HTH,
Mythran