How to handle Request Timed Out Error?

nms

I've an ASP.net web site, Since last some days, Users are experiencing
problem when they try to generate reports (for a large date range)

it says,

Request timed out.
the
current web request. Please review the stack trace for more
information

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Request timed out.

Source Error:

An unhanded exception was generated during the execution of the
current web
request. Information regarding the origin and location of the
exception can

HOWEVER,

I've put an error handling for each sub as well as one in global.asax
Application_Error() too.

Still I'm not able to catch this error!!

I don't want my users to see the ugly error page.

Can you help me out ?

thanks in advance.

Ben Rush

I was going to write a blog entry for you and point you to it, but it looks
as though Peter has already written a very nice article on the topic:

He's a smart guy and would probably just respond to you via this group
anyway. That should help you out, though. If you need any further
assistance, feel free to ask any of us.

Ben Rush

You know what? I just noticed that I think I responded to your entry too
quickly, youre not dealing with session timeout, but request timeout.

Have you tried simply tweaking the executionTimeout setting or using the
Server.ScriptTimeout property to modify the timeout settings for your web
application? The ASP.net runtime will respond to a request that takes longer
than expected by throwing a ThreadAbortException for the thread currently
working on the request. I'm honestly not sure that ThreadAbortExceptions are
actually caught by the global exception handler because they are needed by
certain low-level processes within the ASP.net runtime....my memory is foggy
in this area, though.

....please let me know if any of this works. Thanks.

nms

Hello Ben,

as i said, i've put an error handler in Application_Error() as well.

why it's not being trapped there?!!

p.s. thanks for your reply!