how to implement nextChar() with Scanner

el goog

Anyone know a good trick to read in a single char using Java 1.5's
java.util.Scanner? I realize the language designer's may have
omitted nextChar() from Scanner for a reason, but I'd like to
intermix reading in an integer and a char ala scanf. But I'm
stumped for a nice way to do this. Any advice is greatly appreciated.