    Is it possible?

    Thank you,
    -Me

    Me, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Me

    Evertjan. Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?TWU=?= wrote on 20 sep 2006 in

    > I was wondering if after parsing Querystring, I could initialize it.
    >
    > Is it possible?

    could you elabarate, with a code example?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Sep 20, 2006

  3. Me

    Me Guest

    Evertjan,

    I am passing data thru' querystring in url, after the query is excuted, I
    would like to initialize the string so that users cannot requery until
    the time they reenter query.

    This is going to be temporary fix as I don't have bandwidth to incorporate
    session variables or other solutions suggested by others.

    Thank you,
    -Me

    Me, Sep 20, 2006
  4. Me

    Evertjan. Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?TWU=?= wrote on 20 sep 2006 in

    > "Evertjan." wrote:
    >
    >> =?Utf-8?B?TWU=?= wrote on 20 sep 2006 in
    >>
    >> > I was wondering if after parsing Querystring, I could initialize
    >> > it.
    >> >
    >> > Is it possible?

    >> could you elabarate, with a code example?

    [please do not toppost on usenet]

    > I am passing data thru' querystring in url, after the query is
    > excuted, I would like to initialize the string so that users cannot
    > requery until the time they reenter query.

    You cannot do that relyably, so a querystring is inferior to form-post,
    that at least in IE givs a warning for double submission.

    Serverside, you could suppress the prosessing of a second submission in the
    same session, perhasp with a timeout.

    > This is going to be temporary fix as I don't have bandwidth to
    > incorporate session variables or other solutions suggested by others.

    Uh? What has bandwidth to do with that?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Sep 21, 2006
  5. Me wrote:
    > Evertjan,
    >
    > I am passing data thru' querystring in url, after the query is
    > excuted, I would like to initialize the string so that users cannot
    > requery until the time they reenter query.
    >
    > This is going to be temporary fix as I don't have bandwidth to
    > incorporate session variables or other solutions suggested by others.

    As the others have said: bandwidth is not affected by the use of session
    variables. Values in session variables are kept in the Session object on the
    server, not passed to the client unless you choose to pass them via
    Response.Write.

    I believe you've taken CJM's warning (I meant to post a rebuttal in that
    thread but did not have time) too much to heart.
    1. He was talking about webserver resources (memory), not bandwidth.
    "Bandwidth" refers to the "pipe" between the server and the browser, or
    between the server and the backend database if one exists.
    2. IMO, he was exaggerating the impact of using Session. I make extensive
    use of session variables in my applications without running into memory
    barriers. Unless you are planning on storing large binary objects in Session
    (which, given your alternative plan of using the querystring, you are not
    planning to do), server memory really should not be an issue for you.
    Especially since it is relatively chap to pop in extra RAM if needed (given
    a machine that's not too old or whose RAM is maxed out, that is). Setting an
    appropriate session timeout value can ameliorate the impact of session
    variables on RAM usage.
    3. Bandwidth IS affected by the use of querystring variables. Think about
    it: instead of a short url, you are passing a potentially long url with
    extra information in it. This is why the length of the url is limited.
    Sensitive data should not be passed to the client via url. An argument could
    easily be made that sensitive data should not be passed to the client at
    all, given the ease with which that data could be extracted by a hacker.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Sep 21, 2006