How to make links default to target new window

DaMoe

Instead of doing the code for each individual link ' target=_blank' inside
the ' a href ' tag. What is the correct way to make all links on my page
target default to a new window.

Thanks in advance,
DaMoe

spaghetti

DaMoe said:
Instead of doing the code for each individual link ' target=_blank' inside
the ' a href ' tag. What is the correct way to make all links on my page
target default to a new window.

<base target="_blank"> in your <head>. There are many reasons why you
shouldn't do this, however... and it's downright annoying for most visitors.

DaMoe

Hey spaghet, I see that you give ut a lot of great advice to posters, thats
really cool, keep doin' what your do!!

But why do you sat its annoying to most visitors. I just plan to use it on
this links page (directory page) where I want to kep the page active while
vistors see what the links have to offer without crossing out my site.
Because I really want people to keep my site active on there browsers.
What do you think?

Oh, thanks for the info too,
DaMoe

spaghetti

DaMoe said:
Hey spaghet, I see that you give ut a lot of great advice to posters, thats
really cool, keep doin' what your do!!

But why do you sat its annoying to most visitors. I just plan to use it on
this links page (directory page) where I want to kep the page active while
vistors see what the links have to offer without crossing out my site.
Because I really want people to keep my site active on there browsers.
What do you think?

Check out the links EightNineThree posted. Basically opening links in a new
window is something the *user* should have control over. It's very simple,
they hold down control or something or do a mouse-gesture (Opera) and boom,
it's opened in a new window.

But if you do it for them, it gets annoying because it fills their desktop
up with clutter really fast, breaks the back button....

The target="_blank" thing is being removed from newer versions of HTML...

Visitors will come back to your site if it provides good content and a
reason to go back. They *won't* go back if they feel it does annoying things
and clutters up their screen.

Almost all porn sites do the "open all links in a new window" thing... that
should say something about why you shouldn't do it. :p

Kris

DaMoe said:
But why do you sat its annoying to most visitors. I just plan to use it on
this links page (directory page) where I want to kep the page active while
vistors see what the links have to offer without crossing out my site.
Because I really want people to keep my site active on there browsers.

What do your visitors want? Do you make the site for them or for
yourself instead?

Kris

Jacqui or (maybe) Pete said:
I think most people 'get' the back button. If you open a new window,
you've broken that button.

In support of your point, the most popular site of the past years,
Google, does not stir its hands in any new-windows crap. A lot of people
will say they never really noticed. That's evidence to how natural it is
to not open links in new windows.

Joined
Jun 26, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Open all anchor links in new window

I think, this post describes good about it and a perfect solution too!!!

praveenbattula.blogspot.com/2010/06/open-all-anchor-links-in-new-window.html