    target default to a new window.

    Thanks in advance,
    DaMoe

    DaMoe, Jul 6, 2003

  2. DaMoe

    spaghetti Guest

    "DaMoe" <> wrote in message
    news:nlXNa.42524$...
    > Instead of doing the code for each individual link ' target=_blank'

    inside
    > the ' a href ' tag. What is the correct way to make all links on my page
    > target default to a new window.

    <base target="_blank"> in your <head>. There are many reasons why you
    shouldn't do this, however... and it's downright annoying for most visitors.

    spaghetti, Jul 6, 2003

  3. DaMoe

    DaMoe Guest

    Hey spaghet, I see that you give ut a lot of great advice to posters, thats
    really cool, keep doin' what your do!!

    But why do you sat its annoying to most visitors. I just plan to use it on
    this links page (directory page) where I want to kep the page active while
    vistors see what the links have to offer without crossing out my site.
    Because I really want people to keep my site active on there browsers.
    What do you think?

    Oh, thanks for the info too,
    DaMoe

    DaMoe, Jul 6, 2003
  4. DaMoe

    spaghetti Guest

    "DaMoe" <> wrote in message
    > Hey spaghet, I see that you give ut a lot of great advice to posters,

    thats
    > really cool, keep doin' what your do!!
    >
    > But why do you sat its annoying to most visitors. I just plan to use it on
    > this links page (directory page) where I want to kep the page active while
    > vistors see what the links have to offer without crossing out my site.
    > Because I really want people to keep my site active on there browsers.
    > What do you think?

    Check out the links EightNineThree posted. Basically opening links in a new
    window is something the *user* should have control over. It's very simple,
    they hold down control or something or do a mouse-gesture (Opera) and boom,
    it's opened in a new window.

    But if you do it for them, it gets annoying because it fills their desktop
    up with clutter really fast, breaks the back button....

    The target="_blank" thing is being removed from newer versions of HTML...

    Visitors will come back to your site if it provides good content and a
    reason to go back. They *won't* go back if they feel it does annoying things
    and clutters up their screen.

    Almost all porn sites do the "open all links in a new window" thing... that
    should say something about why you shouldn't do it. :p

    spaghetti, Jul 6, 2003
  5. DaMoe

    Kris Guest

    In article
    <vOXNa.42556$>,
    "DaMoe" <> wrote:

    > But why do you sat its annoying to most visitors. I just plan to use it on
    > this links page (directory page) where I want to kep the page active while
    > vistors see what the links have to offer without crossing out my site.
    > Because I really want people to keep my site active on there browsers.

    What do your visitors want? Do you make the site for them or for
    yourself instead?

    Kris, Jul 6, 2003
  6. DaMoe

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete <> wrote:

    > In article <vOXNa.42556$>,
    > says...
    > > Hey spaghet, I see that you give ut a lot of great advice to posters, thats
    > > really cool, keep doin' what your do!!
    > >
    > > But why do you sat its annoying to most visitors. I just plan to use it on
    > > this links page (directory page) where I want to kep the page active while
    > > vistors see what the links have to offer without crossing out my site.
    > > Because I really want people to keep my site active on there browsers.
    > > What do you think?
    > >

    > I think most people 'get' the back button. If you open a new window,
    > you've broken that button.

    In support of your point, the most popular site of the past years,
    Google, does not stir its hands in any new-windows crap. A lot of people
    will say they never really noticed. That's evidence to how natural it is
    to not open links in new windows.

    Kris, Jul 6, 2003
  7. DaMoe

    praveenbattula

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Open all anchor links in new window

    I think, this post describes good about it and a perfect solution too!!!

    praveenbattula.blogspot.com/2010/06/open-all-anchor-links-in-new-window.html

    praveenbattula, Jun 26, 2010