    pages in a new window) it opens the pages in a new tab in the same popup
    window, which is very unusable.

    Daniele

    Ubi, Nov 25, 2007

  2. Ubi

    Ubi Guest

    > Is there some way to force firefox to open a new page in a new window and
    > not in a new tab of the same window?

    I mean, I know you can configure the _target behaviour in your browser to
    open the page in a new windows. But, of course, I would like to implement a
    solution that works in any case.

    Daniele

    Ubi, Nov 25, 2007

  3. Ubi wrote:

    > Is there some way to force firefox to open a new page in a new window
    > and not in a new tab of the same window?
    >
    > I have a small popup with an audio player and links for infos about
    > the songs. Those links have target _blank, but in Firefox (instead of
    > opening the info pages in a new window) it opens the pages in a new
    > tab in the same popup window, which is very unusable.

    Right-click link and choose "Open in New Window" ?

    Or look in Tools > Options > Tabs to make all links go to a new window
    (certainly not my preference).

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 25, 2007
  4. Ubi

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Ubi* wrote:
    >> Is there some way to force firefox to open a new page in a new window and
    >> not in a new tab of the same window?

    > I mean, I know you can configure the _target behaviour in your browser to
    > open the page in a new windows. But, of course, I would like to implement a
    > solution that works in any case.

    *I* decide how *I* like a new page (even a popup window) to be opended
    in *my* browser, even on your site. Don't try to run your visitors
    browsers for them, you may loose a lot of them if you do.

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Nov 25, 2007
  5. Ubi

    Ubi Guest

    > *I* decide how *I* like a new page (even a popup window) to be opended
    > in *my* browser, even on your site. Don't try to run your visitors
    > browsers for them, you may loose a lot of them if you do.

    I agree with you in principle.
    But there are special cases where something that in principle is correct
    becomes non-sense.
    This is my case of a small popup window with links.
    It's really non-sense to open 900px wide pages in a small pop-up. I think
    Firefox should have made an exception for popups windows.

    Daniele

    Ubi, Nov 25, 2007
  6. Ubi

    rf Guest

    "Ubi" <> wrote in message news:fickd2$nsj$...
    >> *I* decide how *I* like a new page (even a popup window) to be opended
    >> in *my* browser, even on your site. Don't try to run your visitors
    >> browsers for them, you may loose a lot of them if you do.

    > I agree with you in principle.
    > But there are special cases where something that in principle is correct
    > becomes non-sense.
    > This is my case of a small popup window with links.
    > It's really non-sense to open 900px wide pages in a small pop-up. I think
    > Firefox should have made an exception for popups windows.

    I think it is really nonsense to open a new window for any reason. If the
    information is so important then put it right there, on the page I am
    looking at.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 25, 2007
  7. Ubi

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ubi wrote:
    > Is there some way to force firefox to open a new page in a new window and
    > not in a new tab of the same window?
    >
    > I have a small popup with an audio player and links for infos about the
    > songs.
    > Those links have target _blank, but in Firefox (instead of opening the info
    > pages in a new window) it opens the pages in a new tab in the same popup
    > window, which is very unusable.

    There is no way you can override a user's settings in Firefox regarding
    handling of new windows opening. You've already gotten an earful about
    why it's undesirable so I'll leave that alone! ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Nov 26, 2007
  8. "Ubi" <> wrote in message news:ficici$h3b$...
    > Is there some way to force firefox to open a new page in a new window and
    > not in a new tab of the same window?
    >
    > I have a small popup with an audio player and links for infos about the
    > songs.
    > Those links have target _blank, but in Firefox (instead of opening the
    > info pages in a new window) it opens the pages in a new tab in the same
    > popup window, which is very unusable.
    >

    > Daniele

    Hi Daniele,

    Put this javascript in the <head> of your document...

    <!-- * Script from HTMLHelpCentral.com - visit for tutorials, scripts,
    helpful forums and more! * -->
    <script type="text/JavaScript" language="javascript">
    <!-- www.htmlhelpcentral.com
    function winBRopen(theURL, Name, popW, popH, scroll) { // V 1.0
    var winleft = (screen.width - popW) / 2;
    var winUp = (screen.height - popH) / 2;
    winProp =
    'width='+popW+',height='+popH+',left='+winleft+',top='+winUp+',scrollbars='+scroll+','
    Win = window.open(theURL, Name, winProp)
    if (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4){
    Win.window.focus();
    -->
    </script>

    If you want the user to be able to resize the popup window then substitute
    the appropriate line with...

    winProp =
    'width='+popW+',height='+popH+',left='+winleft+',top='+winUp+',scrollbars='+scroll+',resizable'

    Then in the <body> use this line as a template for a link...

    onClick="winBRopen('somepage.html','TITLE','320','256','yes');return false;"
    title="Click here to open window">CLICK</a>

    TITLE = The title of the popup window if none is specified in the popup
    document.
    320 = width of popup.
    256 = height of popup.
    yes = do you want scrollbars? (yes, no, auto).

    Hope this helps

    Andy

    Andrew Bailey, Nov 26, 2007
  9. Ubi

    FFMG Guest

    Ubi;105233 Wrote:
    > > *I* decide how *I* like a new page (even a popup window) to be opended
    > > in *my* browser, even on your site. Don't try to run your visitors
    > > browsers for them, you may loose a lot of them if you do.

    > I agree with you in principle.
    > But there are special cases where something that in principle is
    > correct
    > becomes non-sense.
    > This is my case of a small popup window with links.
    > It's really non-sense to open 900px wide pages in a small pop-up. I
    > think
    > Firefox should have made an exception for popups windows.
    >
    > Daniele

    Don't do it, think of another way of doing what you are trying to do.

    I know, you probably have a good reason for wanting to do what you want
    to do. But bad designers/people in the past have ruined any chance you
    have to convince us.

    Because of that most users will not like what you are trying to do and
    will close the popup/page. They will assume the worst.

    Note that some of the Javascript example will not work for some users,
    (and might even give them some obscure warnings that will scare them
    away from your site).

    FFMG

    --

    'webmaster forum' (http://www.httppoint.com) | 'Free Blogs'
    (http://www.journalhome.com/) | 'webmaster Directory'

    FFMG, Nov 26, 2007
  10. On Nov 25, 2:28 pm, "Ubi" <> wrote:
    > Is there some way to force firefox to open a new page in a new window and
    > not in a new tab of the same window?

    The only sure way I know of is to go to the visitor's home and hold a
    gun to his head telling then they must open it in a new window. And
    even then you will run into the occational person that would rather
    die than open a new window (I believe a few of the group's regulars
    would fit into that catagory)

    > I have a small popup with an audio player and links for infos about the
    > songs.
    > Those links have target _blank, but in Firefox (instead of opening the info
    > pages in a new window) it opens the pages in a new tab in the same popup
    > window, which is very unusable.

    Most FF users are big boys and girls. If they find your popup audio
    player unusable in a tab, they will open it in a new window.

    Travis Newbury, Nov 26, 2007
  11. On Nov 25, 3:02 pm, "Ubi" <> wrote:
    > > *I* decide how *I* like a new page...

    > I agree with you in principle.
    > But there are special cases where something that in principle is correct
    > becomes non-sense.

    That is for the visitor to decide.

    Travis Newbury, Nov 26, 2007
  12. Ubi

    john smith Guest

    hi well one thing that should work to fix yourproblem is using
    target=_new_window thatfor sure should forse evenfier fox toopen anew window
    it works on seeMonky which is bast off of fier fox hope that helps you

    john smith, Nov 29, 2007
  13. Ubi

    Ed Mullen Guest

    john smith wrote:
    > hi well one thing that should work to fix yourproblem is using
    > target=_new_window thatfor sure should forse evenfier fox toopen anew window
    > it works on seeMonky which is bast off of fier fox hope that helps you
    >> There is no way you can override a user's settings in Firefox regarding
    >> handling of new windows opening. You've already gotten an earful about
    >> why it's undesirable so I'll leave that alone! ;-)

    I beg to differ. SeaMonkey and Firefox both allow the user to force new
    windows to open in a tab and there's no HTML code that will over-ride that.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Nov 29, 2007
  14. Ubi

    Bergamot Guest

    john smith wrote:

    > it works on seeMonky which is bast off of fier fox

    You got that wrong, mate. Seamonkey is what was formerly known as the
    mozilla application suite under different management. Firefox is a
    spin-off of that same suite.

    They do use the same rendering engine, but Seamonkey was never based on
    Firefox.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Nov 29, 2007
  15. Ubi

    john smith Guest

    ok so i was rong about see monky bing bast off of fier fox.
    but i was not rong about the target=_new_window bing able to to over wride
    the tab setting cus i tested it on a testpage and onboth browsers it opend
    in anew window wheni clicked onthat link so there is a html code
    thatoverwrids the tab setting and that code is target=_new_window try it
    andyou see foryour self
    bast onfier fox

    john smith, Nov 30, 2007
  16. Ubi

    Ed Mullen Guest

    john smith wrote:
    > ok so i was rong about see monky bing bast off of fier fox.
    > but i was not rong about the target=_new_window bing able to to over wride
    > the tab setting cus i tested it on a testpage and onboth browsers it opend
    > in anew window wheni clicked onthat link so there is a html code
    > thatoverwrids the tab setting and that code is target=_new_window try it
    > andyou see foryour self
    > bast onfier fox

    No, you are not correct. See my other reply. If you disagree I invite
    you to write a page and post it online and I will gladly test my
    SeaMonkey and Firefox installations against it. And if you can figure
    out how to create a page that will over-ride my browser settings in this
    regard I will happily admit it.

    Until then, stop posting incorrect assertions. It's not helpful.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Nov 30, 2007
  17. Ubi

    john smith Guest

    sorry I apolagise for what i said before itturends it was only becuse the
    the way mycoppysof fier and fox and see monky were set up to act is why it
    worked for me so i was totly rong so igess thereisno way inless of corse
    likemethepersonhas fier fox set to openwindows instedof tabs

    john smith, Nov 30, 2007
  18. Ubi

    dorayme Guest

    In article <fio696$3gl$>,
    "john smith" <> wrote:

    > sorry I apolagise for what i said before itturends it was only becuse the
    > the way mycoppysof fier and fox and see monky were set up to act is why it
    > worked for me so i was totly rong so igess thereisno way inless of corse
    > likemethepersonhas fier fox set to openwindows instedof tabs

    I can't work out whether it would be more difficult to write like
    this deliberately or by accident.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 30, 2007
  19. Ubi

    Ed Mullen Guest

    john smith wrote:
    > sorry I apolagise for what i said before itturends it was only becuse the
    > the way mycoppysof fier and fox and see monky were set up to act is why it
    > worked for me so i was totly rong so igess thereisno way inless of corse
    > likemethepersonhas fier fox set to openwindows instedof tabs

    There is no way. Period. No "inless", no unless, no nothing, it cannot
    be done. Period!

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Nov 30, 2007
  20. Ubi

    FFMG Guest

    dorayme;106083 Wrote:
    > In article <fio696$3gl$>,
    > "john smith" <> wrote:
    >
    > > sorry I apolagise for what i said before itturends it was only

    > becuse the
    > > the way mycoppysof fier and fox and see monky were set up to act is

    > why it
    > > worked for me so i was totly rong so igess thereisno way inless of

    > corse
    > > likemethepersonhas fier fox set to openwindows instedof tabs

    > I can't work out whether it would be more difficult to write like
    > this deliberately or by accident.

    Either way, it is mildly annoying.

    FFMG

    FFMG, Nov 30, 2007