no target="_blank"

Paul Watt

Hi guys,

So the target element has been retired in XHTML strict. How do you get a
page to open in a new window without using Javascript?

Els

Paul said:
Hi guys,

So the target element has been retired in XHTML strict. How do you get a
page to open in a new window without using Javascript?

tab or page, unless you have a Mac, then you'll need to do something
else, but I don't know what exactly">link to page</a> ;-)

Travis Newbury

Paul said:
So the target element has been retired in XHTML strict. How do you get a
page to open in a new window without using Javascript?

Well conventional wisdom says just don't open a new window. But I
seriously doubt any of the browsers will stop the functionality of
using target in the near future (if they ever stop supporting it at
all)

Martin Jay

Use HTML 4.01 strict? I mean, I almost don't get the interest in using
XHTML.

It's been retired in HTML 4.01 Strict too. :)

If Jeffrey wants it to validate correctly he'll have to use HTML 4.01
Transitional.

Edwin van der Vaart

Els said:
tab or page, unless you have a Mac, then you'll need to do something
else, but I don't know what exactly">link to page</a> ;-)
Why not like this
title="Please right-click and choose open in new tab or page, if you
have javascript disabled. Unless you have a Mac, then use js.">link to
page</a>

The js goes
var newWindow
function makeNewWindow1() {
newWindow =
window.open("page.html","sub","toolbar=yes,location=yes,resizable=yes,status=yes,scrollbars=yes,menubar=yes,personalbar=yes,widht=800px,height=433px")
Edwin van der Vaart
http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
24help.info and issociate.de to duplicate this post.

Edwin van der Vaart

Martin said:
It's been retired in HTML 4.01 Strict too. :)

If Jeffrey wants it to validate correctly he'll have to use HTML 4.01
Transitional.
Or use a javascript :0)
--
Edwin van der Vaart
http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
24help.info and issociate.de to duplicate this post.

Alan J. Flavell

So the target element has been retired in XHTML strict.

Presentational details had been "retired" (as you put it) already with
HTML/4 Strict. XHTML/1.0 Strict is only a re-working of HTML/4.01
into an XML-based formulation.

The fact that you're asking this question at all suggests that you
haven't quite grasped the point of "Strict" yet. (Quite apart from
having missed the last 1042 times this question was asked - and given
a similar dusty answer).
How do you get a page to open in a new window

You don't...
without using Javascript?

Even *with* JS, it isn't going to make any difference in quite a range
of browsing situations. Why do you suppose, as author, you have any
right to impose new windows on readers?

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

Paul said:
Hi guys,

So the target element has been retired in XHTML strict. How do you
get a page to open in a new window without using Javascript?

If you absolutely need to open the URL in a new window, try using XHTML
Frameset or XHTML Transitional. Otherwise, just let the user choose
him/herself what to do with the link.

Jake

In message said:
[Snip]
Why do you suppose, as author, you have any
right to impose new windows on readers?
Maybe because he's the ............................... author ?

regards.

Jim Moe

Edwin said:
Why not like this
He quite explicitly asked about a way that does not use Javascript.

Rob Stampfli

Maybe because he's the ............................... author ?

Precisely. Today, "target=_blank" is at best suggestive.
Modern browsers allow the user the option of determining
what really happens when they encounter it. I fail to
see why this attribute drives some people (including those
who write the HTML specs) bonkers. It it is the primary
reason I find myself falling back from HTML 4.01 "strict"
to "transitional".

Rob

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Paul Watt"
Hi guys,

So the target element has been retired in XHTML strict. How do you get a
page to open in a new window without using Javascript?

I believe the w3c removed the target attribute from strict xhtml/html
specifically to dissaude authors from triggering client browsers to open
new windows unawares. So if you _really_ want to employ a new window, you
probably _should_ use javascript (with appropriate fallback) thereby
allowing new-window-haters a common method to avoid them.