    --
    Paul G
    Software engineer.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Oct 24, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    Actually that is an error that generally displayed in a browser.

    Not when "creating" a web application. Do you mean when "running" a web
    application?

    Jeff

    Jeff Dillon, Oct 25, 2006

  3. Hi thanks for the response. When I try to create a new web application (I
    think when it tries to create the virtual directory) or if I try to run an
    existing web application through the VS.net IDE from both debug and non debug
    modes. I also tried re-installing framework 1.1, also tried changing
    machine to system in the machine.config file. In addition changed
    permissions to the ASPNET user but it did not seem to help.
    --
    Paul G
    Software engineer.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Oct 25, 2006
  4. re:
    > also tried changing machine to system in the machine.config file.
    > In addition changed permissions to the ASPNET user but it did not seem to help.

    Having done that is probably what's causing the error.

    Changing the permissions for the ASPNET user does zilch
    if you changed the ASP.NET process identity to SYSTEM.

    ASP.NET 1.1 is configured to use the ASPNET account
    *when the configured process account is the "machine" account*.
    ( But not when the configured process accoount is the SYSTEM account... )

    You are probably being denied access to a critical resource
    which the account which ASP.NET runs as needs.

    Please review this article :

    "How To: Create a Custom Account to Run ASP.NET 1.1"
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/secnetht01.asp
    ....and follow the instructions in it.

    Basically, you'll need to change the process account back to "machine",
    and make sure that the ASPNET account has the indicated permissions
    to the folders listed in "Table 1. Required NTFS permissions".

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Oct 25, 2006
  5. ok thanks for the information. I already changed it back to machine in the
    machine.config file. Will take a look at the provided link.
    --
    Paul G
    Software engineer.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Oct 25, 2006