http error 500

Steve House

What does it mean in visual studio 2003 when I try to create an asp web app
and I get http error 500? Is there some permission I need to give my local
site. Everything seems to be working on my client's web site and I have the
most recent sharepoint files running.

Thanks in advance,

Steve House
(e-mail address removed)

Steve Lutz

Steve,

Need more information. Did you check the error-log on that computer, check
for IIS errors, generally, those will help. Also check out the weblog, that
may help. What OS? Does the default website work that is installed when IIS
is installed? Are there other sites using .net that work on that machine,
etc.

Steve

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Steve's inputs.

Hi Steve,

As Steve has mentioned, we need some further info on troubleshooting this.
Anyway, 500 error is usually caused by something concerned with IIS. Is the
problem exsiting for a long time or just occur recently? If just recently,
have you done any changes on your machine?
Also, is there any existing asp.net projects on your machine and can you
open them correctly in VS.NET and run them?

In addition, if convenient, I suggest you also provide us the IIS log which
contains the info when you try creating asp.net web application in VS.NET.
That can also provide some clues.

Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Steve House

I obviated the whole problem by reinstalling VS2003 on my machine. I
thought there must be some general permission problem to look for since it
appeared to not be able to create a subsite from VS2003.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup Steve,

Glad that you've fixed the problem yourself.
Have a good day!