Httpmodules, Sub-Applications and Clear

Markus Kling

Hi,

I have a web application that has two sub-applications. The root application
defines two httpModules which shall not be loaded for the subapplications. I
tried to achieve this by adding

<httpmodules>
<clear />
</httpmodules>

within the web.config file of the sub-applications.

My problem is that the compiler stil tries to load the referenced assemblies
and states them (correctly) as missing.

What did I miss?

Thanks
Markus

Juan T. Llibre

<clear /> removes HttpModule mappings from an application.

<remove name=...> removes the HttpModule class from an application.

<httpModules>
<add type="classname,assemblyname" name="modulename"/>
<remove name="modulename"/>
<clear/>
</httpModules>

Markus Kling

Hi Juan,

that's exactly what I did!!

wwwroot\web.config
<httpModules>
<add type="NK.Utils.LogInitializer,NK.Utils" name="LogInitializer" />
<add type="awisto.Web.UrlRewrite.HttpModule,awisto.Web.UrlRewrite"
name="UrlRewrite" />
</httpModules>

wwwroot\subapp\web.config
<httpmodules>
<clear />
</httpmodules>

This results in a Pre-bin failure for the NK.Utils dll within the
"wwwroot\subapp" application. That's correct since the DLL is not in the
wwwroot\subapp\bin directory.

My question was why it is not removed!!

Thanks again,
Markus

Juan T. Llibre

Doesn't, in wwwroot\subapp\web.config :

<httpModules>
<remove name="LogInitializer"/>
<remove name="UrlRewrite"/>
<clear />
</httpModules>

work ?

Juan T. Llibre

Hi, Mark.

OK, from your post it wasn't clear whether you were removing
the modules by using <remove name="LogInitializer"/> and
<remove name="UrlRewrite"/> since you only included <clear />
in your reply.

If that's the case, I'd bug it at the Feedback Center :

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/

You'll need a Passport account to be able to file bug reports there.

Markus Kling

Just to be clear. The issues are for .Net 1.2. Haven't crosschecked with
..Net 2.0 runtime.

Markus