HTTPS pages: How to get rid of secure/nonsecure message?

VB Programmer

I created an ASP.NET website and recently got a secure certificate.
Whenever I visit any of the pages IE says

"This page contains both secure and nonsecure items. Do you want to display
the nonsecure items?"

What is considered secure and nonsecure? As the developer how can I create
the pages so this message doesn't appear?

Thanks!

David Young

check your urls if you are using absolute urls. Some of them apparently
point to https while some point to http.

You can also get this message based on IIS congiurations. If your content
is in a virtual directory where ssl is enabled, but your images are in a
directory where ssl is not enabled, then you'll get this message as well.

VB Programmer

Thanks for the ideas.

EVERYTHING is relative path, such as MyPage.aspx, or Secured/MyPage.aspx.
There are NO full pathed URLs.

Also, the whole directory, including the images dir, has ssl enabled.

Any ideas?

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Are you using smartnavigation, validation or anything that might be looking
for a script file outside of SSL?

Just checking.

VB Programmer

Good point. I'll double check.

It IS interesting though that when it asks me if I want to display
NON-secure items, if I say No, the page looks exactly the same. Even on
pages that I'm sure doesn't have validation, smartnav, etc...

Make sense?

VB Programmer

I've determined that it's probably the Flash header on each page. I
reference an http address for MACROMEDIA.

But, in this case don't I have to?

Here's my actual HTML...

<OBJECT id="2finance_2"
codeBase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0"
height="229" width="760" align="middle"
classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
VIEWASTEXT>
<PARAM NAME="_cx" VALUE="20108">
<PARAM NAME="_cy" VALUE="6059">
<PARAM NAME="FlashVars" VALUE="">
<PARAM NAME="Movie" VALUE="2finance_2.swf">
<PARAM NAME="Src" VALUE="2finance_2.swf">
<PARAM NAME="WMode" VALUE="Window">
<PARAM NAME="Play" VALUE="0">
<PARAM NAME="Loop" VALUE="-1">
<PARAM NAME="Quality" VALUE="High">
<PARAM NAME="SAlign" VALUE="">
<PARAM NAME="Menu" VALUE="-1">
<PARAM NAME="Base" VALUE="">
<PARAM NAME="AllowScriptAccess" VALUE="sameDomain">
<PARAM NAME="Scale" VALUE="ShowAll">
<PARAM NAME="DeviceFont" VALUE="0">
<PARAM NAME="EmbedMovie" VALUE="0">
<PARAM NAME="BGColor" VALUE="FFFFFF">
<PARAM NAME="SWRemote" VALUE="">
<PARAM NAME="MovieData" VALUE="">
<PARAM NAME="SeamlessTabbing" VALUE="1">
<embed src="2finance_2.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="760"
height="229" name="2finance_2"
align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
</OBJECT>