    Any ideas/recommendations for a free IDE for Python
    Thanks
    Dont

    dont bother, Apr 30, 2004

  2. dont bother

    Larry Bates Guest

    Take a look at www.activestate.com for their products.
    Some are free, some are charge items.

    Also take a look at:

    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-pide/

    many products reviewed/listed here.

    Larry Bates
    Syscon, Inc.

    Larry Bates, May 1, 2004

  3. dont bother

    Nuff Said Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:17:32 -0700, dont bother wrote:
    > Is there any good IDE for Python. I checked on
    > www.python.org and found some. Installed bluefish but
    > to my surprise its just an editor. I guess it cannot
    > even compile my code in python or maybe I am wrong.

    Why an IDE? Python is - IMO - (one of) THE languages, where
    a good editor (tabs2spaces, comment blocks, select encoding,
    syntax highlighting, auto-indentation, scriptable ...) is all
    you really need.

    (Bluefish ain't the editor of your choice here; write your own
    from scrap or write one using Scintilla; resp. use SciTE with
    a good customization file; or go for (X)Emacs resp. Vim.)

    HTH, Nuff.

    Nuff Said, May 1, 2004

    Try eric3 at http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html

    --

    Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath,
    Dept. Computing and Information Science,

    Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath, May 1, 2004
  5. dont bother

    Nuff Said Guest

    On Sat, 01 May 2004 01:10:51 +0000, Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath wrote:

    > Nuff Said wrote:
    >> Why an IDE? Python is - IMO - (one of) THE languages, where
    >> a good editor (tabs2spaces, comment blocks, select encoding,
    >> syntax highlighting, auto-indentation, scriptable ...) is all
    >> you really need.
    >>
    >> (Bluefish ain't the editor of your choice here; write your own
    >> from scrap or write one using Scintilla; resp. use SciTE with
    >> a good customization file; or go for (X)Emacs resp. Vim.)

    > Try eric3 at http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html

    Why? If you are into Qt, it might be a good choice (but if you
    are not, eric3 is a little bit *too* Qt-centric, IMHO). There
    are a lot of solutions for special Python/GUI combinations, but
    none of them seems to be the *editor of your choice* if you are
    not yet restricted to one GUI solution.

    Nuff.

    Nuff Said, May 1, 2004
  6. dont bother

    Washu Guest

    Nuff Said wrote:

    > Why an IDE? Python is - IMO - (one of) THE languages, where
    > a good editor (tabs2spaces, comment blocks, select encoding,
    > syntax highlighting, auto-indentation, scriptable ...) is all
    > you really need.

    I personally like the debugging capabilities of a good IDE, specifically the
    ability to watch a variable as you step through it. I know you can perform
    the same thing through debugging statements but it's not as slick.

    The IDE of my choice for debugging purpose is Komodo from Activestate. For
    writing the scripts, I tend to like Glimmer, although most modern editors
    have some type of scripting language hightlighting scheme.

    Washu, May 1, 2004
  7. dont bother wrote:
    > Hi Guys:
    > Is there any good IDE for Python. I checked on
    > www.python.org and found some. Installed bluefish but
    > to my surprise its just an editor. I guess it cannot
    > even compile my code in python or maybe I am wrong.
    > Any ideas/recommendations for a free IDE for Python
    > Thanks
    > Dont

    emacs + python-mode + (ECB / speedbar/ whatever you like) is a perfect
    solution - <troll>as usual, should I say</troll>

    Bruno

    Bruno Desthuilliers, May 1, 2004
  8. dont bother

    bobb Guest

    "Washu" <> wrote in message
    > Nuff Said wrote:
    >
    > > Why an IDE? Python is - IMO - (one of) THE languages, where
    > > a good editor (tabs2spaces, comment blocks, select encoding,
    > > syntax highlighting, auto-indentation, scriptable ...) is all
    > > you really need.

    > I personally like the debugging capabilities of a good IDE, specifically

    the
    > ability to watch a variable as you step through it. I know you can

    perform
    > the same thing through debugging statements but it's not as slick.

    IMO i like the auto-complete functions of an ide.

    bobb, May 1, 2004
  9. dont bother

    Robert Guest

    dont bother wrote:
    > Hi Guys:
    > Is there any good IDE for Python. I checked on
    > www.python.org and found some. Installed bluefish but
    > to my surprise its just an editor. I guess it cannot
    > even compile my code in python or maybe I am wrong.
    > Any ideas/recommendations for a free IDE for Python
    > Thanks
    > Dont

    Try SciTE...it's simple and easy to use.

    Robert, May 3, 2004
  10. dont bother

    Fernando Guest

    dont bother wrote:

    > Hi Guys:
    > Is there any good IDE for Python. I checked on
    > www.python.org and found some. Installed bluefish but
    > to my surprise its just an editor. I guess it cannot
    > even compile my code in python or maybe I am wrong.
    > Any ideas/recommendations for a free IDE for Python
    > Thanks
    > Dont

    Hi there,
    check this one out: