IDE for Python

dont bother

Hi Guys:
Is there any good IDE for Python. I checked on
www.python.org and found some. Installed bluefish but
to my surprise its just an editor. I guess it cannot
even compile my code in python or maybe I am wrong.
Any ideas/recommendations for a free IDE for Python
Thanks
Dont

Nuff Said

Is there any good IDE for Python. I checked on
www.python.org and found some. Installed bluefish but
to my surprise its just an editor. I guess it cannot
even compile my code in python or maybe I am wrong.

Why an IDE? Python is - IMO - (one of) THE languages, where
a good editor (tabs2spaces, comment blocks, select encoding,
syntax highlighting, auto-indentation, scriptable ...) is all
you really need.

(Bluefish ain't the editor of your choice here; write your own
from scrap or write one using Scintilla; resp. use SciTE with
a good customization file; or go for (X)Emacs resp. Vim.)

HTH, Nuff.

Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath

Try eric3 at http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html

--

Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath,
Dept. Computing and Information Science,

Washu

Nuff said:
Why an IDE? Python is - IMO - (one of) THE languages, where
a good editor (tabs2spaces, comment blocks, select encoding,
syntax highlighting, auto-indentation, scriptable ...) is all
you really need.

I personally like the debugging capabilities of a good IDE, specifically the
ability to watch a variable as you step through it. I know you can perform
the same thing through debugging statements but it's not as slick.

The IDE of my choice for debugging purpose is Komodo from Activestate. For
writing the scripts, I tend to like Glimmer, although most modern editors
have some type of scripting language hightlighting scheme.

Bruno Desthuilliers

dont said:
Hi Guys:
Is there any good IDE for Python. I checked on
www.python.org and found some. Installed bluefish but
to my surprise its just an editor. I guess it cannot
even compile my code in python or maybe I am wrong.
Any ideas/recommendations for a free IDE for Python
Thanks
Dont

emacs + python-mode + (ECB / speedbar/ whatever you like) is a perfect
solution - <troll>as usual, should I say</troll>

Bruno

bobb

Washu said:
I personally like the debugging capabilities of a good IDE, specifically the
ability to watch a variable as you step through it. I know you can perform
the same thing through debugging statements but it's not as slick.
IMO i like the auto-complete functions of an ide.

Robert

dont said:
Hi Guys:
Is there any good IDE for Python. I checked on
www.python.org and found some. Installed bluefish but
to my surprise its just an editor. I guess it cannot
even compile my code in python or maybe I am wrong.
Any ideas/recommendations for a free IDE for Python
Thanks
Dont
Try SciTE...it's simple and easy to use.

Fernando

dont said:
Hi Guys:
Is there any good IDE for Python. I checked on
www.python.org and found some. Installed bluefish but
to my surprise its just an editor. I guess it cannot
even compile my code in python or maybe I am wrong.
Any ideas/recommendations for a free IDE for Python
Thanks
Dont

Hi there,
check this one out: