IDE recommendation?

phaedrus

Hi all,

I've been struggling along with just the Linux editing utility nano in
conjunction with gcc. It's fine for just a few pages of code, but
lately I've been trying to examine how more complex open source
programs work and hack around with them. Can anyone recommend a
suitable IDE for a serious hobbyist? I don't need or wish to write
anything for Windows platforms.

THanks.

Seebs

I've been struggling along with just the Linux editing utility nano in
conjunction with gcc. It's fine for just a few pages of code, but
lately I've been trying to examine how more complex open source
programs work and hack around with them. Can anyone recommend a
suitable IDE for a serious hobbyist? I don't need or wish to write
anything for Windows platforms.

I've never found an IDE I liked as much as I liked a good editor and
a decent make utility. I just use vi and make still.

-s

jacob navia

phaedrus a écrit :
Hi all,

I've been struggling along with just the Linux editing utility nano in
conjunction with gcc. It's fine for just a few pages of code, but
lately I've been trying to examine how more complex open source
programs work and hack around with them. Can anyone recommend a
suitable IDE for a serious hobbyist? I don't need or wish to write
anything for Windows platforms.

THanks.

There aren't very good IDEs under linux. Eclipse is the only
one that seems to work but it is VERY heavy (written in Java)
and takes forever to load. But it seemed to work when I used
it.

Most of the others are completely crap. Go to definition is absent,
debugger crashes, etc etc. There isn't any other debugger than GDB
anyway: all use gdb but most limit the gdb commands you can
pass to gdb, etc.

Happily the source code runs under windows, so I use Microsoft
compiler's IDE to develop and gdb/vi under linux. (It is a huge
C++ code base)

neeraj

Hi all,

I've been struggling along with just the Linux editing utility nano in
conjunction with gcc. It's fine for just a few pages of code, but
lately I've been trying to examine how more complex open source
programs work and hack around with them. Can anyone recommend a
suitable IDE for a serious hobbyist? I don't need or wish to write
anything for Windows platforms.

THanks.

hi,
if you are using ubuntu , just install "wine" a utility which can
easily downloaded by synaptic packet manager and u can easily work on
source insight.

and Eclipse might be helpful.

hope it helps

Beej Jorgensen

Seebs said:
I've never found an IDE I liked as much as I liked a good editor and
a decent make utility. I just use vi and make still.

Following up on this, if you use vim, it has a number of features that
make things easier for C coders, such as ability to make from within vim
and jump around to the various errors.

I do know a number of people who like Eclipse, and if I had to use an
IDE, that's probably what I'd look at. As it is, I use (and am also
very happy with) a... um... Disintegrated Development Environment of
gvim, make, and gdb (or ddd).

-Beej

Keith Thompson

Seebs said:
I've never found an IDE I liked as much as I liked a good editor and
a decent make utility. I just use vi and make still.

And a lot of programmers prefer emacs over vi. (Let's not have an
emacs/vi war here, ok? I'm just mentioning it.)

Donkey Hottie

I do know a number of people who like Eclipse, and if I had to use an
IDE, that's probably what I'd look at. As it is, I use (and am also
very happy with) a... um... Disintegrated Development Environment of
gvim, make, and gdb (or ddd).

Netbeans also has great C/C++ support in it. I can even compile remotely
via ssh (e.g. from Windows to Linux). Has code completion & such.

gwowen

Hi all,

I've been struggling along with just the Linux editing utility nano in
conjunction with gcc. It's fine for just a few pages of code, but
lately I've been trying to examine how more complex open source
programs work and hack around with them. Can anyone recommend a
suitable IDE for a serious hobbyist? I don't need or wish to write
anything for Windows platforms.

THanks.

I use Emacs, which enables me to run compilations as processes inside
the editor, and jump to the code that produces errors/warnings. If
you want something that is an IDE rather than an editor with lisp
magic, I have heard good things from co-workers about Code::Blocks[0]
which has autocompletion, jump-to-symbol-definition/declaration etc.

[0] http://www.codeblocks.org/features

Nick Keighley

I've never found an IDE I liked as much as I liked a good editor and
a decent make utility.

with you there on the editor!

 I just use vi and make still.

ah! Our definitions of "good" are much at variance

vi vi vi the editor of the beast

Nick Keighley

phaedrus a écrit :

There aren't very good IDEs under linux. Eclipse is the only
one that seems to work but it is VERY heavy (written in Java)
and takes forever to load. But it seemed to work when I used
it.

Most of the others are completely crap. Go to definition is absent,
debugger crashes, etc etc. There isn't any other debugger than GDB
anyway: all use gdb but most limit the gdb commands you can
pass to gdb, etc.

whilst I haven't found a decent Unix IDE I've used ddd as a graphical
front end to gdb and that seems quite nice.
Happily the source code runs under windows, so I use Microsoft
compiler's IDE to develop and gdb/vi under linux. (It is a huge
C++ code base)

I can't survive without a decent graphical text editor (exposure to
Macs at an impressionable age). Unix has always been crap in this
regard. I currently use Kate if I have a small edit to do and FTP it
to a user friendly system (Windows) if I'm doing a large edit. Windows
you're just spoilt for choice. I use ConTEXT but Visual Studio is
adequate, even emacs can be coerced into being ok-ish. I forget the
magic but it's not hard to find.

Nick Keighley

I use Emacs, which enables me to run compilations as processes inside
the editor, and jump to the code that produces errors/warnings.

emacs: an operating system let down by a poor editor

mathog

Can anyone recommend a
suitable IDE for a serious hobbyist?

Since this thread has degenerated into a "what's your favorite
programming editor" fest, nedit bears mentioning.
It is a graphical editor, computer language aware (highlights
keywords, finds matching braces,
and the like) and has been around for so long that it is largely bug
free. I especially like the way it allows
rectangular text regions to be cut, pasted, or dragged, which saves a
huge amount of time when rearranging text set out in a 2D array, for
instance, in the initialization of structures.

www.nedit.org

Also available as a package for most unix/linux OS's.

It is not an IDE itself, although I vaguely recall it being integrated
into a Sun supplied Solaris IDE at one point.

SciTE is another editor designed along similar lines.

Regards,

David Mathog