IDLE Problems - Subprocesses Under Windows

Discussion in 'Python' started by Fuzzyman, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman Guest

    First of all a thanks to the guys at who helped me get
    this far - when all I had was email access from a PocketPC !

    I had problems using IDLE for editing modules in my code..... the only
    way I could find of forcing IDLE to re-import edited modules was to
    exit my main program and reload it... (Short of adding the location of
    my source code to the PYTHONPATH every time)....

    I used the windows installer to install Python and IDLE... by default
    it launches it with '-n' which starts IDLE *without* a subprocess....

    I've edited it now and have *two* file associations - one to edit a
    file *with* subrocess and one *without*.

    This is because if I select 'edit with IDLE' it always opens a shell
    window.... if it tries to open a *second* shell with a subprocess then
    it hangs at that stage and I have to kill the process....

    It obviously works fine if I remember to open the second file from
    within IDLE. I looks like I can have several versions of IDLE without
    subrocesses happily co-existing with one shell with a subprocess.

    Is this a known limitation with IDLE under windoze in it's correct
    incarnation ? - or is there something weird about my system (entirely
    possible)....

    Fuzzy
    Fuzzyman, Dec 22, 2003