IE7 comments?

Stan McCann

kchayka said:
Ish. I can't believe so many people commented on how "great" it
looks. As for usability, it looks like a disaster for those of us
who don't use a mouse. :-(

From what I've read about the new office, it sounds like my next office
software upgrade will be to OpenOffice. I haven't seen it but it
sounds awful. I like menus and toolbars to stay static so I know where
to find things. I don't want everything moving around context
sensitive. And from what I've read, there is no option for "old
style."

Alan J. Flavell

Ish. I can't believe so many people commented on how "great" it
looks. As for usability, it looks like a disaster for those of us
who don't use a mouse. :-(

It's supposed to be a user interface, not a work of art; so I'm not
sure why people should be so enthusiastic about its "great" looks.

The only real user-interface upgrade that I want to see in MS Word is
to rip those direct-styling buttons (bold, italic, font/size and
stuff) out of the standard user interface, and hide them away in some
obscure advanced-users menu where we hope naive users won't find them;
guiding users to the application of proper Styles against an
appropriate style template.

kchayka

Stan said:
From what I've read about the new office, it sounds like my next office
software upgrade will be to OpenOffice.

I use both OO and MS Office. I would use OO exclusively, but there are
some things it just doesn't do well, like macros. The latest release of
OO crashes on me a fair bit, too. :( It's not quite ready to totally
replace MSO, at least not for me.

OO is slowly improving, though, except for its documentation - that's lousy.

Are we off topic, or what? :)

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, kchayka
<[email protected]> declared in alt.html:

[http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2006/03/09/547281.aspx]
Ish. I can't believe so many people commented on how "great" it looks.

My thoughts exactly. Can you imagine the amount of retraining that will
be required?
As for usability, it looks like a disaster for those of us who don't use
a mouse. :-(

It'll be bad enough for those who *do* use a mouse! I have a feeling
alternatives such as OpenOffice will suddenly gain a lot of market
share.