IFRAME - Refresh Table on Parent Window - maintain IFRAME State

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Scott, Apr 12, 2004.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    I have an IFRAME that is calling a stored procedure - that once completed I
    need to have do a "refresh" on the PARENT window that will then call another
    stored procedure to refresh a table with a result set. My problem is, I
    need to keep the IFRAME at its current state. Any ideas? For example:

    In the IFRAME, I would have a page that would allow the user to key in a
    payment for an account, apply the payment them the page passes the payment
    to a SQL Server stored procedure to insert the payment and other account
    information into a table in the database. On the PARENT page, there is a
    table that is keeping a "LIST" of all payments that the users has made on
    all their accounts - could be one or many - evertime the user applys the
    paymen in the IFRAME window, I need the PARENT window refreshed so that the
    stored procedure in that page can be called to load the table that displays
    the payments that have already been applied, but I cannot have the current
    state of the IFRAME (payment window) changed - must stay the same - Make
    sense? Just that table that lists the payments is all I need updated.
    Right now I can get the PARTENT page to update ever xxxx number of seconds,
    but that's not what I want, or I can get the PARENT page to update, but the
    IFRAME goes back to its orginal state (information asp page), cannot get it
    to maintain the payment window state.

    Thanks in advance for the help.

    Scott, Apr 12, 2004

  2. > stored procedure to refresh a table with a result set. My problem is, I
    > need to keep the IFRAME at its current state. Any ideas?

    No, can't be done. You would have to refresh the parent page and pass
    parameters that the page could then pass to the IFRAME, to return the IFRAME
    to the same state.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Apr 12, 2004

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Is there a way to check the force the src of the IFRAME when the PARENT page
    is loaded? Say when the page if first loaded check to see if the src is
    "null" or something if it is force the src to be the "message" asp page if
    not force the src to be the "payment" asp page? If so how would I do that?

    Scott, Apr 12, 2004
  4. Well, when you initially call the ASP page, don't have a specific argument
    in the querystring. When you refresh it from the IFRAME, call
    yourpage.asp?checktheforcethesrc=1 and yourpage.asp can have appropriate
    logic.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "check the force the src" but you can
    certainly differentiate between initial load and refresh by adding
    parameters to the querystring.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Apr 12, 2004
  5. Scott

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hi Scott,

    Regarding the issue, can you consider also puting the Payment table in
    Parent page in a Iframe? In this way, you may only need to update this
    frame.

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    [MSFT], Apr 13, 2004
  6. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Never thought about that - How would I go about loading it from the PARENT
    Page or from the IFRAME? I like that idea. Gives me more control

    Scott, Apr 13, 2004
  7. Scott

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hi Scott,

    I think you may create a single web page for all payments table and embed
    it in a iframe element. To refersh such a sub page, the script is like:

    window.frames("IFrm").location = vLocation

    [MSFT], Apr 14, 2004