iframe > remote url > load in new window

Blinky the Shark

Tim said:
In another ng thread, I used the word "popup" to refer to what you get
thought I meant a separate window. Now you're telling me off again.

No, I was asking a question.
I wish people could make their minds up.

The only mind makeup I need to ask a question is curiosity. :)
No, it was always a separate window.
Oh.

My site is a private engineering site for our engineers, our NOC, and
selected customer engineers. But I have seen this "help in a separate
window" concept employed by many commercial sites. To me it makes sense,

I'll assume from the above that you do mean "window" this time.
because it doesn't (by opening a new tab) distract from the original
window, which the user didn't open for fun, but because they want to
refer to the information in question. This information is dense, but as
experts they don't care about that - but they may need a bit of help
from time to time.

I think I do like the idea of a separate window for a help system that
one might want visible along with whatever I asked for help about.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing
in
Weird! My Firefox preferences seem to match those of my colleagues FF
preferences, but her browser displays the link within a new window as
it is meant to.

What is the particular setting I should be looking for? And why is
_blank evil? What should I use instead?

One of the problems with _blank is it opens a new window each time, so
if you have 2 _blanks, you have two windows. If you browser gets
hijacked, and lots of porn opens up, it's the use of _blank.

Alternatively, once you name a window, you can reuse it again. So if
you have a window called help, anything with target="help" will open in
the "help" window, already defined. Of course, you also have to be
careful with this, as you might not want to overwrite that "help"
window.

Personally, I prefer a small pop-up window, or even better, a little CSS
box with the "help" in it.

John Hosking

Adrienne said:
One of the problems with _blank is it opens a new window each time, so
if you have 2 _blanks, you have two windows. If you browser gets
hijacked, and lots of porn opens up, it's the use of _blank.

Unless it's not, and the pr0n windows are all JavaScript creatures. Or
did you mean something else by "hijacked"?

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed John Hosking
Unless it's not, and the pr0n windows are all JavaScript creatures. Or
did you mean something else by "hijacked"?

I'm talking about the home page being hijacked by a virus or spyware.