Iframes and multiple targets

Discussion in 'HTML' started by where am i, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. where am i

    where am i Guest

    Hello all,
    I have been dabbling here and there with html for a while now and a friend
    asked me to build her a website... as part of this project diffrent artists
    are putting there work on the site... here is my scenario:

    i want to have one anchor load multiple iframes example:
    a thumbnail.jpeg would load the full size picture in one iframe while
    page

    after googling about a bit i have found only javascript answers and i do not
    want to use javascript for such an important function in the site (some
    users have it disabled and it would therefore be rendered useless)

    i would think it would be a fairly simple php snippet of code i could load
    onto the page that would handle this function and since php is server-side i
    would not have issues regarding users not being able to see my information

    so in can anyone do one of the following:
    1) supply me with a php code snippet that would handle this function or a
    link somewhere that would help me (google is giving me weird information
    when i search it)

    2) offer a better solution (the web server i am going to use offers php cgi
    perl and most server side scripting methods)
    where am i, Nov 19, 2003

  2. where am i

    m Guest

    where am i wrote:
    > Hello all,
    > I have been dabbling here and there with html for a while now and a friend
    > asked me to build her a website... as part of this project diffrent artists
    > are putting there work on the site... here is my scenario:
    >
    > i want to have one anchor load multiple iframes example:
    > a thumbnail.jpeg would load the full size picture in one iframe while
    > page
    >
    > after googling about a bit i have found only javascript answers and i do not
    > want to use javascript for such an important function in the site (some
    > users have it disabled and it would therefore be rendered useless)
    >
    > i would think it would be a fairly simple php snippet of code i could load
    > onto the page that would handle this function and since php is server-side i
    > would not have issues regarding users not being able to see my information
    >
    > so in can anyone do one of the following:
    > 1) supply me with a php code snippet that would handle this function or a
    > link somewhere that would help me (google is giving me weird information
    > when i search it)
    >
    > 2) offer a better solution (the web server i am going to use offers php cgi
    > perl and most server side scripting methods)

    If you're using server side code to load the new material, there
    is no reason to use an iframe at all. You just use divs, setting
    their position and overflow properties in CSS. Overflow can be
    set to auto, hidden, scroll, or visible. You'll want 'scroll' if you
    want the div to work like an iframe.

    Whatever language you're using, just output the <div
    id="iframeLookinDude">...</div> (use id or class)around the
    text or image (...) to be sent.

    This will create markup that is more accessible and that degrades
    more gracefully than using an iframe. The only use for iframes is
    to let HTML load foreign files. A server side program has no
    trouble with this.
    --
    Cheers, m at http://www.mbstevens.com/
    m, Nov 19, 2003

  3. where am i

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <LgJub.36274$>,
    says...
    > Hello all,
    > I have been dabbling here and there with html for a while now and a friend
    > asked me to build her a website... as part of this project diffrent artists
    > are putting there work on the site... here is my scenario....

    This topic is covered once a week. Search this forum in google for
    iframes and you will be rewarded with a plethora of threads.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Nov 19, 2003
  4. where am i

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    m wrote:
    > where am i wrote:
    >> i want to have one anchor load multiple iframes example:

    > If you're using server side code to load the new material, there
    > is no reason to use an iframe at all. You just use divs, setting
    > their position and overflow properties in CSS. Overflow can be
    > set to auto, hidden, scroll, or visible. You'll want 'scroll' if you
    > want the div to work like an iframe.

    Well, you can do a lot of nice things with scrollable div's
    Like (alternative for frames): http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/album/div.php
    or (fixed menu) http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/fixed_menu.htm

    In an earlier thread (What is the best web site layout?; ) however kchayka
    pointed me to the following:

    "I would be very wary of using scrolling divs, though. They are
    really hard to navigate for keyboard users. Page up/down and arrow
    keys, which I use to scroll, are useless on this page so much of it
    is inaccessible without a mouse/click. I hear scroll wheels don't
    work so well with these, either."

    Regards, Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Nov 20, 2003
  5. where am i

    m Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > m wrote:
    >
    >>where am i wrote:
    >>
    >>>i want to have one anchor load multiple iframes example:

    >>If you're using server side code to load the new material, there
    >>is no reason to use an iframe at all. You just use divs, setting
    >>their position and overflow properties in CSS. Overflow can be
    >>set to auto, hidden, scroll, or visible. You'll want 'scroll' if you
    >>want the div to work like an iframe.

    > Well, you can do a lot of nice things with scrollable div's
    > Like (alternative for frames): http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/album/div.php
    > or (fixed menu) http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/fixed_menu.htm
    >
    > In an earlier thread (What is the best web site layout?; ) however kchayka
    > pointed me to the following:
    >
    > "I would be very wary of using scrolling divs, though. They are
    > really hard to navigate for keyboard users. Page up/down and arrow
    > keys, which I use to scroll, are useless on this page so much of it
    > is inaccessible without a mouse/click. I hear scroll wheels don't
    > work so well with these, either."
    >
    > Regards, Nico

    Actually I agree with that. The op wanted to
    generate iframes, & I thought this would
    certainly be better than that. But anything that
    hides things on a page is going to present problems
    for some people, and it would be better if
    the page was designed another way.

    --
    Cheers, m
    m, Nov 20, 2003