IFRAMES?

Jeff Thies

I'd like to insert a random image *with* a caption and credit.

If this was just an image, I would just print the image content-type
and then the image. Adding the text adds problems.

So, I'm thinking of using an iframe with some fallback. Near as I can
tell IFRAMES are widely supported in modern browsers.

Does the iframe have to have a width specified? The images may vary in
width.

Can this be done with an object also?

Alternatives other than making this a server page or shtml?

Sorry for the Google post, no usenet server on this machine.

Jeff

Steve R.

Jeff Thies wrote in message ...
If this was just an image, I would just print the image content-type
and then the image. Adding the text adds problems.

If you wished you could add the text onto the image, using 'Photoshop' or
similar. Only 'problem' is that the text would be at a fixed size and not
able to be enlarged for those with poorer eyesight.
So, I'm thinking of using an iframe with some fallback. Near as I can
tell IFRAMES are widely supported in modern browsers.

99% of all users, but probably only about 50% of this group.
Does the iframe have to have a width specified?

Yes and height too.
The images may vary in width.

Then you'd have a border around some of them, but would that bother you?
Sorry for the Google post, no usenet server on this machine.

I'll guess you'll have to wait a day to see the replies then ?

Jeff Thies

If this was just an image, I would just print the image content-type
If you wished you could add the text onto the image, using 'Photoshop' or
similar.

Yeah, I can do this server side but it would mean resaving a jpeg with the
text included. Not worth the trouble I think.
Only 'problem' is that the text would be at a fixed size and not
able to be enlarged for those with poorer eyesight.

99% of all users, but probably only about 50% of this group.

Now, that's funny!
Yes and height too.

I was afraid of that. Same with object I assume?

I think I'm going to use a javascript "include" with an alternative image in
noscript tags for the 50% of the readers of this group with javascript
turned off. I'll be sure to use alt tags for the other 50% who browse with
images turned off.
Then you'd have a border around some of them, but would that bother you?

I'll guess you'll have to wait a day to see the replies then ?
Yes, I hadn't gone home!

Cheers,
Jeff

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept said:
I think I'm going to use a javascript "include" with an alternative
image in noscript tags for the 50% of the readers of this group with
javascript turned off. I'll be sure to use alt tags for the other 50%
who browse with images turned off.

It's not just users with images turned off who need alt text for your
images. It is also for the visually impaired who would never actually be
able to see your images. That is why we provide alternative text for our
images, or other non text items.

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

Jeff Thies

I think I'm going to use a javascript "include" with an alternative
It's not just users with images turned off who need alt text for your
images. It is also for the visually impaired who would never actually be
able to see your images. That is why we provide alternative text for our
images, or other non text items.

Actually it's a photography page and I've fallen into the habit (well the
server does) of using the picture title (not the image source) for the alt
text. If a picture is worth a thousand words, I wonder how many the alt
deserves...

Point taken though!

Jeff

Richard

Jeff said:
I'd like to insert a random image *with* a caption and credit.
If this was just an image, I would just print the image content-type
and then the image. Adding the text adds problems.
So, I'm thinking of using an iframe with some fallback. Near as I can
tell IFRAMES are widely supported in modern browsers.
Does the iframe have to have a width specified? The images may vary in
width.
Can this be done with an object also?
Alternatives other than making this a server page or shtml?
Sorry for the Google post, no usenet server on this machine.

What's wrong with using a "scrolling division"?

Of course it would be better to use a class than inline.