    Alternatives other than making this a server page or shtml?

    Sorry for the Google post, no usenet server on this machine.

    Jeff
    Jeff Thies, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Jeff Thies

    Steve R. Guest

    Jeff Thies wrote in message ...
    > If this was just an image, I would just print the image content-type
    > and then the image. Adding the text adds problems.

    If you wished you could add the text onto the image, using 'Photoshop' or
    similar. Only 'problem' is that the text would be at a fixed size and not
    able to be enlarged for those with poorer eyesight.

    > So, I'm thinking of using an iframe with some fallback. Near as I can
    > tell IFRAMES are widely supported in modern browsers.

    99% of all users, but probably only about 50% of this group.

    > Does the iframe have to have a width specified?

    Yes and height too.

    > The images may vary in width.

    Then you'd have a border around some of them, but would that bother you?

    > Sorry for the Google post, no usenet server on this machine.

    I'll guess you'll have to wait a day to see the replies then ?
    Steve R., Feb 1, 2004

  3. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    > > If this was just an image, I would just print the image content-type
    > > and then the image. Adding the text adds problems.

    > If you wished you could add the text onto the image, using 'Photoshop' or
    > similar.

    Yeah, I can do this server side but it would mean resaving a jpeg with the
    text included. Not worth the trouble I think.

    >Only 'problem' is that the text would be at a fixed size and not
    > able to be enlarged for those with poorer eyesight.
    >
    > > So, I'm thinking of using an iframe with some fallback. Near as I can
    > > tell IFRAMES are widely supported in modern browsers.

    > 99% of all users, but probably only about 50% of this group.

    Now, that's funny!

    > > Does the iframe have to have a width specified?

    > Yes and height too.

    I was afraid of that. Same with object I assume?

    I think I'm going to use a javascript "include" with an alternative image in
    noscript tags for the 50% of the readers of this group with javascript
    turned off. I'll be sure to use alt tags for the other 50% who browse with
    images turned off.

    > > The images may vary in width.

    > Then you'd have a border around some of them, but would that bother you?
    >
    > > Sorry for the Google post, no usenet server on this machine.

    > I'll guess you'll have to wait a day to see the replies then ?

    Yes, I hadn't gone home!

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Feb 1, 2004
  4. While the city slept, Jeff Thies <> feverishly typed:

    > I think I'm going to use a javascript "include" with an alternative
    > image in noscript tags for the 50% of the readers of this group with
    > javascript turned off. I'll be sure to use alt tags for the other 50%
    > who browse with images turned off.

    It's not just users with images turned off who need alt text for your
    images. It is also for the visually impaired who would never actually be
    able to see your images. That is why we provide alternative text for our
    images, or other non text items.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    nice.guy.nige, Feb 1, 2004
  5. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    > > I think I'm going to use a javascript "include" with an alternative
    > > image in noscript tags for the 50% of the readers of this group with
    > > javascript turned off. I'll be sure to use alt tags for the other 50%
    > > who browse with images turned off.

    > It's not just users with images turned off who need alt text for your
    > images. It is also for the visually impaired who would never actually be
    > able to see your images. That is why we provide alternative text for our
    > images, or other non text items.

    Actually it's a photography page and I've fallen into the habit (well the
    server does) of using the picture title (not the image source) for the alt
    text. If a picture is worth a thousand words, I wonder how many the alt
    deserves...

    Point taken though!

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Jeff Thies

    Richard Guest

    Jeff Thies wrote:

    > I'd like to insert a random image *with* a caption and credit.

    > If this was just an image, I would just print the image content-type
    > and then the image. Adding the text adds problems.

    > So, I'm thinking of using an iframe with some fallback. Near as I can
    > tell IFRAMES are widely supported in modern browsers.

    > Does the iframe have to have a width specified? The images may vary in
    > width.

    > Can this be done with an object also?

    > Alternatives other than making this a server page or shtml?

    > Sorry for the Google post, no usenet server on this machine.

    > Jeff

    What's wrong with using a "scrolling division"?

    Of course it would be better to use a class than inline.
    Richard, Feb 2, 2004