IIS migration

genghiz

Hello friends;

I need to migrate IIS from an old server running Windows Server 2000 to a
new server running Windows Server 2003. What is the best way to approach
migration without any issues. If you know a good online source please
provide me the details.

Thanks.

Jon Wallace

Hi

I did this a while back although it was 2003 to 2008. Unless you have made
any special changes to your server for example increasing the upload limits
for data transfere or such then it should just be a matter of copying your
sites over, creating the relevent applications / sites on the new server and
upating any DNS references / IP addresses etc...

Basically, ensure the 2003 server has all the same components as the 2000
server, don't forget that 2003 is more secure so ASP for example is optional
and things like that.

If your 2000 server is a generic build with generic sites then migration is
very straight forward.

Regards,
Jon

www.insidetheregistry.com

Adrienne Boswell

I did this a while back although it was 2003 to 2008. Unless you have
made any special changes to your server for example increasing the
upload limits for data transfere or such then it should just be a
matter of copying your sites over, creating the relevent applications
/ sites on the new server and upating any DNS references / IP
addresses etc...

I'm surprised since Microsoft is so into "wizards" that it doesn't have
an IIS migtration tool, something that produces XML that can be read by
another server. I'm sure this is something that happens quite
frequently - server is dying so you have to move all of its information
to a new server. I had to do that when I had reformat a 2000 server and
install a new 2003 OS. Luckily, I only had one site to migrate, and had
taken screenshots of all the settings that I could call up on another
machine if I got stuck.

To the OP, take screen shots!

Adrienne Boswell

Well, I guess if you don't spell-check your search terms, you might
not ever get this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2aefc3e4- ce97-
4f25-ace6-127f933a6cd2&displaylang=en

Which is not to say that the MT is a do-it-all solution, but claiming
it doesn't exist is ridiculous.

Didn't know about that at the time, good to know, although it does seem
to have a lot of limitations.

<trim remaining signature>

You know, it would also be nice if you could fix your signature; two
dashes, a space and a carriage return. That will enable compliant news
readers to automatically trim your signature.

genghiz

Jon and Sanford muchos gracias.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e4-ce97-4f25-ace6-127f933a6cd2&displaylang=en

Which is not to say that the MT is a do-it-all solution, but claiming it
doesn't exist is ridiculous.

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of