    migration without any issues. If you know a good online source please
    provide me the details.

    Thanks.

    genghiz, Mar 31, 2009

  2. genghiz

    Jon Wallace Guest

    Hi

    I did this a while back although it was 2003 to 2008. Unless you have made
    any special changes to your server for example increasing the upload limits
    for data transfere or such then it should just be a matter of copying your
    sites over, creating the relevent applications / sites on the new server and
    upating any DNS references / IP addresses etc...

    Basically, ensure the 2003 server has all the same components as the 2000
    server, don't forget that 2003 is more secure so ASP for example is optional
    and things like that.

    If your 2000 server is a generic build with generic sites then migration is
    very straight forward.

    Regards,
    Jon

    www.insidetheregistry.com

    ---

    Jon Wallace, Apr 1, 2009

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jon Wallace"
    <> writing in

    > I did this a while back although it was 2003 to 2008. Unless you have
    > made any special changes to your server for example increasing the
    > upload limits for data transfere or such then it should just be a
    > matter of copying your sites over, creating the relevent applications
    > / sites on the new server and upating any DNS references / IP
    > addresses etc...

    I'm surprised since Microsoft is so into "wizards" that it doesn't have
    an IIS migtration tool, something that produces XML that can be read by
    another server. I'm sure this is something that happens quite
    frequently - server is dying so you have to move all of its information
    to a new server. I had to do that when I had reformat a 2000 server and
    install a new 2003 OS. Luckily, I only had one site to migrate, and had
    taken screenshots of all the settings that I could call up on another
    machine if I got stuck.

    To the OP, take screen shots!

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 2, 2009
  4. > I'm surprised since Microsoft is so into "wizards" that it doesn't have
    > an IIS migtration tool...

    Well, I guess if you don't spell-check your search terms, you might not
    ever get this:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e4-ce97-4f25-ace6-127f933a6cd2&displaylang=en

    Which is not to say that the MT is a do-it-all solution, but claiming it
    doesn't exist is ridiculous.

    --Sandy

    ------------------------------------
    Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
    Broadleaf Systems, a division of
    Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
    ------------------------------------

    Sanford Whiteman, Apr 2, 2009
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Sanford Whiteman"
    <> writing in

    >> I'm surprised since Microsoft is so into "wizards" that it doesn't
    >> have an IIS migtration tool...

    > Well, I guess if you don't spell-check your search terms, you might
    > not ever get this:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2aefc3e4-

    ce97-
    > 4f25-ace6-127f933a6cd2&displaylang=en
    >
    > Which is not to say that the MT is a do-it-all solution, but claiming
    > it doesn't exist is ridiculous.

    Didn't know about that at the time, good to know, although it does seem
    to have a lot of limitations.

    > --Sandy

    <trim remaining signature>

    You know, it would also be nice if you could fix your signature; two
    dashes, a space and a carriage return. That will enable compliant news
    readers to automatically trim your signature.

    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 2, 2009
  6. genghiz

    genghiz Guest

    Jon and Sanford muchos gracias.