Event ID: 100
Date: 7/18/2004
Time: 10:59:33 PM
User: N/A
Computer: CAMPBELL-NORTH
The server was unable to logon the Windows NT account
'IUSR_CAMPBELL-NORTH' due to the following error: The specified module
could not be found. The data is the error code.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the
Microsoft Online Support site located at:

Data:
0000: 7e 00 00 00

In other words, the service "W3SVC" failed here.

Do you know of anything I can do to debug this further?

I am running IIS 5.0.

When I try to make a Web project, I get the following box, which backs
up my issue here:
The Web server reported the following error when attempting to
create or open the Web project located at the following URL:
'http://localhost/Sample', 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'.

Any clues, anyone?

- Jim

Jim Campbell

I just found out that if I turn off the anonymous access to the web
site, everything works. In other words, do I have to do something
different to allow anonymous users to access my web site?

- Jim

Mike Smith

do u have an anonymous user account created on the machine itself ?
'IUSR_CAMPBELL-NORTH' ? thats what the anoymous user will be loged on as
i guess cause u "hacked" the iis onto xp home , XP wouldnt create this
account by itself ?

Lau Lei Cheong

Yes, just create the account and add it to the "Guests" group(it'll raise
security issue if you set it to normal "Users" group)

Jim Campbell

I had tried adding the "IUSR_CAMPBELL-NORTH" user in the "User Accounts"
screen, but the system complained there already was such a user, even
though there was no such user listed. I imagine that screen shows only
login users. Is there any way to show the "non-login" users and
associated permissions?

- Jim

Mike Smith

not sure on that on win XP home.. but in XP Pro under computer management u
can see all users created.. well since it said that the user was already
created, did u check that your inetpub\wwwroot folder (i.e Localhost) has
permission for the IUSR_CAMPBELL-NORTH account to access it ?

could that be why when u remove anonymous access the system lets u see
localhost ?

Lau Lei Cheong

Try check in the "Local Security Policy Editor" to see if
"IUSR_CAMPBELL-NORTH" appears in the following categories:
1) Access this computer from the network
2) Adjust memory quota for a process
3) Login as a batch job
4) Replace a process level token