Image file handles left open by aspnet_wp when serving up pages

Mike Kiefer

I am having problems with image file handles being left open after web pages
are served up from an ASP.NET application.

Here is the scenario:
I have a simple store front which displays image files for each store based
on search results. Multiple copies of the same image may be displayed on the
same page (using standard IMG tags) and the images may be either GIFs or
JPEGs. Another section of the web site allows the store administrator to
upload / change the images for that store. However, once the image for a
given store is loaded as part of search results, the file is always locked
so the administrator cannot delete or change the image file. By using
SysInternal's Process Viewer I can see that handles to the image files are
left open by the aspnet_wp.exe process after performing a search.

Why are these files not being closed, preventing the admin from updating the
store's image?

As a side note: none of the image files are touched by the application code
itself except through the administration page and this part works fine. From
the catalog search results page, the images are only accessed once the
response stream is passed to the browser. I confirmed this by using the
SysInternals File Monitor while stepping through my code.

Mike Kiefer

Never mind this question -- the problem was with a 3rd party custom control
opening and not properly closing the image file.

Mike