Image manipulation library under a GPL-compatible license?

Leif K-Brooks

I need to do some simple image editing (pretty much just scaling) in a
GPLed program. Unfortunatly, both of the Python libraries for image
editing that I found (gdmodule and PIL) are under the GPL-incompatible
original BSD license. Is there another library under a friendlier library?

Jarek Zgoda

Leif said:
I need to do some simple image editing (pretty much just scaling) in a
GPLed program. Unfortunatly, both of the Python libraries for image
editing that I found (gdmodule and PIL) are under the GPL-incompatible
original BSD license. Is there another library under a friendlier library?

Use os.system() with convert from ImageMagick package. See man 1 convert
for explanation of convert use.

Fredrik Lundh

Leif K-Brooks said:
I need to do some simple image editing (pretty much just scaling) in a
GPLed program. Unfortunatly, both of the Python libraries for image
editing that I found (gdmodule and PIL) are under the GPL-incompatible
original BSD license. Is there another library under a friendlier library?

sorry, but you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking
about. PIL uses the original Python license, about which FSF
has the following to say:

This is a free software license and is compatible
with the GNU GPL.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

and before you spread more license FUD, maybe you should
learn why the *original* BSD license is not considered to be
GNU-compatible:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html

</F>

Istvan Albert

Leif said:
I need to do some simple image editing (pretty much just scaling) in a
GPLed program. Unfortunatly, both of the Python libraries for image
editing that I found (gdmodule and PIL) are under the GPL-incompatible
original BSD license. Is there another library under a friendlier library?

heh, GPL is a lot less "friendly" than the Python license.

Here is the python license:

"The gist of it is that Python is absolutely free, even for commercial
use (including resale). There is no GNU-like "copyleft" restriction."

http://www.python.org/doc/Copyright.html

now what part of this is givin you trouble?

Istvan.

Leif K-Brooks

Fredrik said:
sorry, but you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking
about. PIL uses the original Python license, about which FSF
has the following to say: <snip>

Sorry, you're right. For some reason, I got "the name of Secret Labs AB
or the author not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to
distribution of the software without specific, written prior permission"
with the obnoxious BSD advertising clause. Please disregard anything
else I say, because I've probably done way too litle research.