INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882:2003 vs INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882:1998

Discussion in 'C++' started by Alexei Polkhanov, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. Hello everybody!
    I was looking for PDf version of ISO C++ standard on several websites and I found
    few documents. one here: http://www.techstreet.com/cgi-bin/detail?product_id=49964
    and it is named "INCITS-Adopted ISO/IEC Standard" and it tells me that this
    version of standard was replaced by another review from year 2003.

    I have my copy I purchased from same website many years ago and it says
    ISO/IEC 14882-1998(E). Version from 2003 is different, in fact it is
    786 pages instead of 732 pages for 1998 year version.

    Does anyone now what is new in ISO C++ since 1998 ? Just curios if it is worth
    to bye yr 2003 version to find out what new in those 54 pages ?

    Just wondering if hash_map<> finally made it to standard ?

    Cheers,
    ---
    Alexei Polkhanov
    Sr. Consultant/Software Systems Analyst
    Tel: (604) 719-2515
    E-mail:
    http://www.monteaureus.com/
    Alexei Polkhanov, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Alexander Terekhov, Apr 24, 2004

  3. Alexei Polkhanov

    Walter Tross Guest

    Walter Tross, Apr 25, 2004
  4. "Alexei Polkhanov" <> wrote in message
    > Hello everybody!
    > I was looking for PDf version of ISO C++ standard on several websites and

    I found
    > few documents. one here:

    http://www.techstreet.com/cgi-bin/detail?product_id=49964
    > and it is named "INCITS-Adopted ISO/IEC Standard" and it tells me that

    this
    > version of standard was replaced by another review from year 2003.
    >
    > I have my copy I purchased from same website many years ago and it says
    > ISO/IEC 14882-1998(E). Version from 2003 is different, in fact it is
    > 786 pages instead of 732 pages for 1998 year version.
    >
    > Does anyone now what is new in ISO C++ since 1998 ? Just curios if it is

    worth
    > to bye yr 2003 version to find out what new in those 54 pages ?
    >
    > Just wondering if hash_map<> finally made it to standard ?

    2003 is a "bug fix". It has nothing new, only cleared certain implementation
    issues. The upcoming major revision of the standard is still under
    consideration and is cutely called "C++0x" in the community.

    Ioannis Vranos
    Ioannis Vranos, Apr 25, 2004
  5. Alexei Polkhanov

    JKop Guest

    Just download it from somewhere else, I did. Paying for the C++
    Standard is like paying to go for a walk. If I _did_ have the money,
    then I'd make a _voluntary_ contribution, but charging for the C++
    Standard is extortion.
    JKop, Apr 25, 2004
  6. Alexei Polkhanov

    P.J. Plauger Guest

    "JKop" <> wrote in message

    > Just download it from somewhere else, I did. Paying for the C++
    > Standard is like paying to go for a walk.

    You've obviously never played golf.

    > If I _did_ have the money,
    > then I'd make a _voluntary_ contribution, but charging for the C++
    > Standard is extortion.

    From each according to his inclination? To each according to his
    coercive power? I think you've delineated the Twenty-first Century
    version of communism.

    P.J. Plauger
    Dinkumware, Ltd.
    http://www.dinkumware.com
    P.J. Plauger, Apr 25, 2004
  7. Alexei Polkhanov

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    JKop wrote:
    > Just download it from somewhere else, I did. Paying for the C++
    > Standard is like paying to go for a walk. If I _did_ have the money,
    > then I'd make a _voluntary_ contribution, but charging for the C++
    > Standard is extortion.

    Do you steal other things you can't afford, too?
    Jeff Schwab, Apr 25, 2004
  8. Alexei Polkhanov

    JKop Guest

    Jeff Schwab posted:

    > JKop wrote:
    >> Just download it from somewhere else, I did. Paying for the C++
    >> Standard is like paying to go for a walk. If I _did_ have the

    money,
    >> then I'd make a _voluntary_ contribution, but charging for the C++
    >> Standard is extortion.

    > Do you steal other things you can't afford, too?

    Yes.

    Why? Are _you_ too proud to? I've had numerous versions of Visual
    Studio, none of them paid for.

    -JKop
    JKop, Apr 25, 2004
  9. Alexei Polkhanov

    Walter Tross Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:16:47 GMT, JKop <> wrote:

    >Jeff Schwab posted:
    >
    >> JKop wrote:
    >>> Just download it from somewhere else, I did. Paying for the C++
    >>> Standard is like paying to go for a walk. If I _did_ have the

    >money,
    >>> then I'd make a _voluntary_ contribution, but charging for the C++
    >>> Standard is extortion.

    >> Do you steal other things you can't afford, too?
    >>

    >Yes.
    >

    >Why? Are _you_ too proud to? I've had numerous versions of Visual
    >Studio, none of them paid for.
    >

    >-JKop

    May I answer for Jeff? It's not a matter of being proud, it's a matter
    of being HONEST, which is something anybody can afford, if he can
    afford reading this newsgroup, at least. Remember that there are lots
    of alternatives which are FREE. If you don't understand why being
    honest has advantages, try to focus your attention on all those times
    you treat somebody in a way you wouln't like to be treated yourself.
    Sorry for being OT
    Walter Tross, Apr 25, 2004
  10. Alexei Polkhanov

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    Walter Tross wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:16:47 GMT, JKop <> wrote:
    >

    >>Jeff Schwab posted:

    >>money,

    >>>Do you steal other things you can't afford, too?
    >>>

    >>Yes.
    >>

    >>Why? Are _you_ too proud to? I've had numerous versions of Visual
    >>Studio, none of them paid for.
    >>

    >>-JKop

    > May I answer for Jeff? It's not a matter of being proud, it's a matter
    > of being HONEST, which is something anybody can afford, if he can
    > afford reading this newsgroup, at least. Remember that there are lots
    > of alternatives which are FREE. If you don't understand why being
    > honest has advantages, try to focus your attention on all those times
    > you treat somebody in a way you wouln't like to be treated yourself.
    > Sorry for being OT

    I agree. Having some sense of morality does not mean one is "too proud."
    Jeff Schwab, Apr 25, 2004
  11. "JKop" <> wrote
    > Jeff Schwab posted:
    >
    > > JKop wrote:
    > >> Just download it from somewhere else, I did. Paying for the C++
    > >> Standard is like paying to go for a walk. If I _did_ have the

    > money,
    > >> then I'd make a _voluntary_ contribution, but charging for the C++
    > >> Standard is extortion.

    > > Do you steal other things you can't afford, too?
    > >

    > Yes.
    >

    > Why? Are _you_ too proud to? I've had numerous versions of Visual
    > Studio, none of them paid for.

    And with this, you join the killfile. Some people believe in reforming thieves;
    I believe in ostracizing them.

    Claudio Puviani
    Claudio Puviani, Apr 25, 2004
  12. Alexei Polkhanov

    JKop Guest

    Walter Tross posted:

    > If you don't understand why being honest has advantages, try to focus
    > your attention on all those times you treat somebody in a way you
    > wouln't like to be treated yourself. Sorry for being OT

    In Irish, we have a saying:

    Bó le Bata, Capall le Ceansacht

    A cow with a stick, a horse with kindness

    If you want a cow to do something for you, then use a stick. If you want a
    horse to do something for you, then use kindness. Switch them around - now
    the cow ignores you, meanwhile the horse has a "fight or flight" response,
    which 99 times out of 100 will result in you getting an almighty kick.

    Moral of the story: Think twice before you adopt the attitude of treating
    others how you would like to be treated, it may differ from how _they_ would
    like to be treated.

    Long story short: if I can't afford food, I will not hesitate to rob it. Or
    should I just take it like a man and starve with dignity?

    The ridiculous prices of education, and even software development packages,
    just adds to the poverty trap. If you're born into poverty and you want out,
    maybe education will work for you. But what if you can't afford it?

    The C++ Standard is not a luxury, it is a basic supplement. I will not pay
    for it.
    JKop, Apr 25, 2004