input element borders in Safari

ojorus

Hi;
I'm struggeling with a strange Safari-problem, and wonder if anyone have a
solution on it:

I have an input-element (ex a text field), and I want it to be completely
invisible. That is no problem in IE, Firefox, Opera etc, but in Safari I
have not managed it so far. Anyone having a solution?

regards
ojorus

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit ojorus:
I have an input-element (ex a text field), and I want it to be
completely invisible.

<input type="hidden">

It's difficult to guess whether that's what you really need, but it surely
makes an input element invisible.

(Well, on some browsers it may oddly affect vertical spacing in special
circumstances, and clever users have their ways of making invisible things
visible, but the former can be prevented by simple testing and tuning and
the latter is inevitable anyway.)

ojorus

Hi! Thanks for your reply.
However, this is not what I am looking for. A "hidden" field would not be
possible to write anything into.

What I want is to place f.eks <input type="text"> on top of some graphic or
background color, without seeing the borders of the input element. This code
works fine in IE, Firefox, Opera, but in Safari you will se the borders of
the element, which I want to get rid of. Is that possible?

<input type="text" name="email" border="0" valign="center" value=""
style="height: 16px; width: 190px; border:none; border-color:#FFFFFF;
border-style:hidden; outline-style:hidden; border: 0px; margin:0px;
padding:0px " />

http://www.ojorus.net/test/test2.html

Bergamot

ojorus said:
I have an input-element (ex a text field), and I want it to be completely
invisible. That is no problem in IE, Firefox, Opera etc, but in Safari I
have not managed it so far. Anyone having a solution?

Safari has very limited styling of form elements. You cannot make it do
what it does not support. Accept it and move on.

Adrienne Boswell

Hi! Thanks for your reply.
However, this is not what I am looking for. A "hidden" field would not
be possible to write anything into.

Please don't top post.

If the user cannot see the "hidden" input element, how is anything going
to get written to it?

If you want to pass information from one form to another, you can do so
using the hidden input element, eg.
<input type="hidden" name="blah" value="<%=request.form("blah")%>"> or
<input type="hidden" name="blah" value="<%=request.querystring

If you want the user to see the element, but not be able to write to it,
you can use the readonly attribute (although it seems I read somewhere
that doesn't always work). eg:
<input type="text" name="blah" value="Something you don't want changed"
readonly>