Inserting a value into word doc

Flurry

Hello

I have a simple problem but I think the solution might be tricky...

I have a word document on the server which people can download.
However, what I would like is to use asp.net to insert a unique serial
number into the word document before it is downloaded. So I need some
way to insert a value into the word document. Is there a simple way of
doing this???

Many thanks....

Flurry

John Timney \(MVP\)

There will likely be performance issues if your doing it ona web server as
Office typically doesn't thread well. What I've done in the past is create
a queuing mechanim to deal with the files individually, but that involved
posting a link to people to enable them to download the file after I'd had
done stuff with it. It got round any licening issues as I was only running
a single instance at any one time.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)

http://www.johntimney.com
Eliyahu Goldin said:
Ken,

Just wondering if there are licensing issues involved.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

Ken Cox said:
Hi Flurry,

You can do this, but you need Visual Studio Tools for Office to modify
the file's content.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/tool/vsto/default.aspx

You'd be best to ask in the VSTO newsgroup

microsoft.public.vsnet.vstools.office

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Flurry said:
Hello

I have a simple problem but I think the solution might be tricky...

I have a word document on the server which people can download.
However, what I would like is to use asp.net to insert a unique serial
number into the word document before it is downloaded. So I need some
way to insert a value into the word document. Is there a simple way of
doing this???

Many thanks....

Flurry

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Yup, VSTO isn't free - it's an add-on to Visual Studio. After that, there
are some runtime redistributables that are required but free to Office
users.

I found the technology very appealing until it came to deployment on the
Internet until I hit a showstopper:

http://weblogs.asp.net/kencox/archi...tment-with-VSTO-2005-Internet-Deployment.aspx

Flurry said:
Hello

I have a simple problem but I think the solution might be tricky...

I have a word document on the server which people can download.
However, what I would like is to use asp.net to insert a unique serial
number into the word document before it is downloaded. So I need some
way to insert a value into the word document. Is there a simple way of
doing this???

Many thanks....

Flurry

Eliyahu Goldin

Flurry said:
Hello

I have a simple problem but I think the solution might be tricky...

I have a word document on the server which people can download.
However, what I would like is to use asp.net to insert a unique serial
number into the word document before it is downloaded. So I need some
way to insert a value into the word document. Is there a simple way of
doing this???

Many thanks....

Flurry

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi John,

Keep in mind that VSTO exposes the ServerDocument object that doesn't
require the Word to be on the Web server at all.

Ken

Ken Cox said:
[...]

I was more alluding to only using Office on the webserver Ken and the
problems it can create if Eliyahu decided not to use VSTO.

--
Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com

Eliyahu Goldin said:
Ken,

Just wondering if there are licensing issues involved.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]