    2.3? Should I? If so, how can I? If not,what are the problems, if
    any, of having both.

    Thank you for your help.

    Bill, Jan 17, 2005

  2. "Bill" <> wrote:

    > 2. I looked in the package editor and there was no way to uninstall
    > 2.3? Should I? If so, how can I? If not,what are the problems, if
    > any, of having both.

    if your OS comes with Python, there's a certain chance that it includes
    utilities that rely on a specific Python version. removing or replacing that
    version is usually a rather bad idea.

    having multiple Python installations on a machine is usually no problem
    at all.

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Jan 17, 2005

  3. Bill

    rbt Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > I have less than a week experience on linux, so I am a new newbie.
    > Python 2.3 came preinstalled. I installed version 2.4. All seemed to
    > go well except it installed to usr/local?
    >
    > 1. Was it wrong to install when logged in as 'root'? Does it make a
    > difference?
    >
    > 2. I looked in the package editor and there was no way to uninstall
    > 2.3? Should I? If so, how can I? If not,what are the problems, if
    > any, of having both.
    >
    > Thank you for your help.

    Bill,

    /usr/local is the path on Unix systems where add-on software is
    traditionally installed. RH used to use Python heavily for many aspects
    of their RHL distribution. I suspect they still do this with Fedora.
    This is probably why the version of Python that came with Fedore cannot
    be removed (at least not easily).

    It's OK to have the RH version and the latest Python.org version
    installed. You'll just have to specify the path to the version you wish
    to use when running your scripts like this:

    /usr/local/python <name_of_script.py>

    There are some more advanced things you could do and I suspect others
    will give you better advice. But all in all, you're OK.

    Have fun.

    rbt, Jan 17, 2005