Installing DBD::Sybase on MAC

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Vijoy Varghese, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. Hello Group,

    I want to access a MSSQL database(on WIN-NT) from my MAC.
    After some googling I found that for this I have to install
    DBD:Sybase. But before that I need to install the 'Sybase OpenClient
    Libraries' and then edit the SYBASE variablein CONFIG file of
    DBD:Sybase installation so that it points to the 'Sybase OpenClient
    Libraries'.
    So first of all I had to install the OpenClient libraries, for this
    after some googling i found that I can get it from
    http://linux.sybase.com. But with my little knowledge about Sybase, I
    was lost in that webpage and confused about what to download.

    Then again some googling and found this link
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue18/sybase.html, even though it is a
    bit aged page(most links are broken), I got the name
    'ctlib-linux-elf.tar.gz'. Did some googling on that name and found
    this link
    URL http://ring.csi.ad.jp/archives/net/www/php/extra/ctlib-linux-elf.tar.gz,
    the file is that of 1997. I extracted the contents to /usr/local
    Everything fine upto this...

    Then I tried to install DBD::Sybase
    Edited the SYBASE variable in CONFIG to '/usr/local/sybase' and then
    ran perl Makefile.PL
    This is what I got as output

    ##### Start ###########
    [diffe:Documents/vijoy/DBD-Sybase-1.01] admin# perl Makefile.PL
    Sybase OpenClient 10.0.3 found.
    The DBD::Sybase module need access to a Sybase server to run the
    tests.
    To clear an entry please enter 'undef'
    Sybase server to use (default: troll): undef
    User ID to log in to Sybase (default: sa): undef
    Password (default: undef): undef
    Sybase database to use on undef (default: undef): undef
    Checking if your kit is complete...
    Looks good
    Note (probably harmless): No library found for -ldl
    Multiple copies of Driver.xst found in: /Library/Perl/darwin/auto/DBI
    /Library/Perl/darwin/auto/DBI at Makefile.PL line 55
    Using DBI 1.37 installed in /Library/Perl/darwin/auto/DBI
    Writing Makefile for DBD::Sybase
    ###### End ###########

    About multiple copis of Driver.xst, I can see only one copy out there.
    Contents of /Library/Perl/darwin/auto/DBI
    #### Start ####
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 1976 Jul 1 12:55 .packlist
    -r--r--r-- 1 root admin 0 Jul 1 12:55 DBI.bs
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 root admin 93680 Jul 1 12:55 DBI.bundle
    -r--r--r-- 1 root admin 18391 May 13 06:54 DBIXS.h
    -r--r--r-- 1 root admin 15513 May 13 07:00 Driver.xst
    -r--r--r-- 1 root admin 3254 Sep 13 2002 Driver_xst.h
    -r--r--r-- 1 root admin 2531 Feb 26 2003 dbd_xsh.h
    -r--r--r-- 1 root admin 3475 Feb 6 2002 dbi_sql.h
    -r--r--r-- 1 root admin 14789 Jul 15 2002 dbipport.h
    #### End ####

    So I thought this is some 'harmless' error and continued with the
    installation.
    Next was 'make', and I got this
    #### Start ####
    [thediffe:Documents/vijoy/DBD-Sybase-1.01] admin# make
    cp dbd-sybase.pod blib/lib/DBD/dbd-sybase.pod
    cp Sybase.pm blib/lib/DBD/Sybase.pm
    /usr/bin/perl -p -e "s/~DRIVER~/Sybase/g" <
    /Library/Perl/darwin/auto/DBI/Driver.xst > Sybase.xsi
    /usr/bin/perl /Library/Perl/ExtUtils/xsubpp -typemap
    /Library/Perl/ExtUtils/typemap Sybase.xs > Sybase.xsc && mv
    Sybase.xsc Sybase.c
    cc -c -I/usr/local/sybase/include -I/Library/Perl/darwin/auto/DBI
    -pipe -fno-common -no-cpp-precomp -fno-strict-aliasing -O3
    -DVERSION=\"1.01\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.01\"
    "-I/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE" Sybase.c
    cc -c -I/usr/local/sybase/include -I/Library/Perl/darwin/auto/DBI
    -pipe -fno-common -no-cpp-precomp -fno-strict-aliasing -O3
    -DVERSION=\"1.01\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.01\"
    "-I/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE" dbdimp.c
    Running Mkbootstrap for DBD::Sybase ()
    chmod 644 Sybase.bs
    rm -f blib/arch/auto/DBD/Sybase/Sybase.bundle
    LD_RUN_PATH="/usr/local/sybase/lib:/usr/lib" cc
    -L/usr/local/sybase/lib -flat_namespace -bundle -undefined suppress
    Sybase.o dbdimp.o -o blib/arch/auto/DBD/Sybase/Sybase.bundle
    -L/usr/local/sybase/lib -lct -lcs -ltcl -lcomn -lintl -linsck -lm
    ld: malformed table of contents in: /usr/local/sybase/lib/libct.a
    (ranlib struct 0 library member offset not a multiple of 4 bytes,
    can't load from it)
    ld: malformed table of contents in: /usr/local/sybase/lib/libcs.a
    (ranlib struct 1 library member offset not a multiple of 4 bytes,
    can't load from it)
    ld: malformed table of contents in: /usr/local/sybase/lib/libcomn.a
    (ranlib struct 0 library member offset not a multiple of 4 bytes,
    can't load from it)
    ld: malformed table of contents in: /usr/local/sybase/lib/libintl.a
    (ranlib struct 0 library member offset not a multiple of 4 bytes,
    can't load from it)
    make: *** [blib/arch/auto/DBD/Sybase/Sybase.bundle] Error 1
    #### End ####

    What could be wrong?

    Please help,

    Thanking you
    Vijoy Varghese
    Vijoy Varghese, Oct 20, 2003

  2. On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:51:51 -0700, Vijoy Varghese wrote:

    > Hello Group,
    >
    > I want to access a MSSQL database(on WIN-NT) from my MAC.
    > After some googling I found that for this I have to install
    > DBD:Sybase. But before that I need to install the 'Sybase OpenClient
    > Libraries' and then edit the SYBASE variablein CONFIG file of
    > DBD:Sybase installation so that it points to the 'Sybase OpenClient
    > Libraries'.
    > So first of all I had to install the OpenClient libraries, for this
    > after some googling i found that I can get it from
    > http://linux.sybase.com. But with my little knowledge about Sybase, I
    > was lost in that webpage and confused about what to download.
    >
    > Then again some googling and found this link
    > http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue18/sybase.html, even though it is a
    > bit aged page(most links are broken), I got the name
    > 'ctlib-linux-elf.tar.gz'.

    First, Sybase's OpenClient package doesn't work with MS-SQL 7.x or 2K.
    Second, how could the *linux* version of OpenClient ever work on your
    MacOSX box??? The underlying architecture is completely different!

    Anyway - you should look at FreeTDS (http://www.freetds.org/) for a
    library that will allow you to access MS-SQL from your MacOSX box.

    Michael
    --
    Michael Peppler Data Migrations, Inc.
    http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler
    Michael Peppler, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Thank you Michael
    Hehehe, the only reply I got was from the 'author of DBD::Sybase'? I
    am excited...

    A few questions...

    "Michael Peppler" <> wrote in message

    > First, Sybase's OpenClient package doesn't work with MS-SQL 7.x or 2K.
    > Second, how could the *linux* version of OpenClient ever work on your
    > MacOSX box??? The underlying architecture is completely different!

    What about installing 'Free BSD Intel' from
    http://linux.sybase.com/ase/11033download.html.
    Will this work on a Mac osX and DBD::Sybase?
    If it does, should I install both files to get it work with
    DBD::Sybase?

    sybase-ocsd-10.0.4-FreeBSD-6.i386.tgz AND
    sybase-ase-11.0.3.3-FreeBSD-6.i386.tgz

    > Anyway - you should look at FreeTDS (http://www.freetds.org/) for a
    > library that will allow you to access MS-SQL from your MacOSX box.

    At the same time, I am trying to install freetds on Mac, but some
    complications with libtool and Mac, anyways I am getting good support
    from freetds mailing-group
    [http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/freetds/2003q4/014109.html], so
    hoping to solve my problems soon.

    Regards
    Vijoy~
    Vijoy Varghese, Oct 22, 2003
  4. On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:10:05 -0700, Vijoy Varghese wrote:

    > "Michael Peppler" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> First, Sybase's OpenClient package doesn't work with MS-SQL 7.x or 2K.
    >> Second, how could the *linux* version of OpenClient ever work on your
    >> MacOSX box??? The underlying architecture is completely different!

    > What about installing 'Free BSD Intel' from
    > http://linux.sybase.com/ase/11033download.html.
    > Will this work on a Mac osX and DBD::Sybase?
    > If it does, should I install both files to get it work with
    > DBD::Sybase?
    >
    > sybase-ocsd-10.0.4-FreeBSD-6.i386.tgz AND
    > sybase-ase-11.0.3.3-FreeBSD-6.i386.tgz

    No - this FreeBSD on intel - it won't work on your PPC Mac!

    Michael
    Michael Peppler, Oct 23, 2003
  5. "Michael Peppler" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:10:05 -0700, Vijoy Varghese wrote:

    > No - this FreeBSD on intel - it won't work on your PPC Mac!

    Okay, thanks Micheal, any ways, i dumped this open client from sybase,
    and went for freebsd.

    If your a person looking for a solution for a similar goad (access
    mssql from mac), please check these posts...

    http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/freetds/2003q4/014109.html
    http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/freetds/2003q4/014139.html

    HTH,
    Regards