Installing DBD::Sybase when there is no compiler

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Yash, Apr 12, 2004.

  1. Yash

    Yash Guest

    Hi,

    At our customer's site, there is Perl 5.6.1 installed on HP-Ux 11.
    This does not have the DBD::Sybase perl module. For the new version of
    our application, we are required to interact with an SQL Server 2000
    database running on a remote Windows machine.
    We managed to build and install the module on our development
    machines. For this we had to first install FreeTDS as the driver.
    While doing a make of the Sybase module , we had to give the location
    of the FreeTDS in an env. variable. The module was built and
    installed. However, the Sybase.pm file uses Sybase.sl which tries to
    load /home/myhome/freetds/lib/libtds.sl.3.
    /home/myhome/freetds is where we installed the FreeTDS on the
    development machine. However on the customer's machine, FreeTDS may be
    installed in some other directory.
    On the customer's site, there is not compiler present. So we will have
    to ship the pre-built perl module.
    Can someone suggest how to build the perl module on the dev. machine
    so that the packaged module does not depend on the location of the
    libraries it uses.

    Thanks
    Yash, Apr 12, 2004

  2. While I'm unable to answer your real question about building the perl module
    on your dev. machine
    so that the packaged module does not depend on the location of the libraries
    it uses, I may help a little. Let's say that in a previous life I was very
    much involved with Configuration Management teams. One of the big tasks of
    my Configuration Management teams was to deliver software packages on
    computers for our internal/external customers. Just trying to hint that I
    have a bit of practice in this area but take everything I say with a grain
    (or a spoon) of salt. Consider that what was acceptable in our corporation
    would/might not be acceptable in another corporation. You have to know your
    customer and work with them. But enough about the high level stuff, let's
    talk about a process driven solution.

    Contact your customer sys admins and negotiate with them the location of the
    libtds.sl.3 and other potential supporting software. With that information,
    compile your application with libtds.sl.3 in the appropriate location and
    write a little "Installation Note". At install time, the sys admin will
    simply have to follow your notes (I would be surprised if they let you
    install the application by yourself). If something goes wrong, they have the
    documentation as a support and you have the documentation to prove that you
    followed some kind of agreed process. CYA :) This approach is not really
    flexible to move libraries and applications around. It also requires up
    front communication (not a bad thing in any case) with your customer. Based
    on your confidence level on the sys admins skill set, you might decide to
    package and install libtds.sl.3 in a sub-directory of where your application
    would be installed. While most sys admin are really knowledgeable and
    skilled, you might deal with a small corporation where "cow-boys" are
    running the show. It means that they might have little
    control/knowledge/information about where various pieces gets installed over
    time. Corporations that keep good logs of system changes are always too
    rare. :-( In the case of a disorganized customer , it is possible that a
    sys admin would upgrade/downgrade libtds.sl.3 in the process of supporting
    another application. In which case, you are taking the risk of getting your
    application broken in the process. Packaging libtds.sl.3 within your
    application - if acceptable for your customer - would alleviate future
    headaches but might led to duplication of library. It is a tradeoff that you
    will have to assess.

    I hope that someone out there will give 'the real' answer that you are
    looking for. I would love to learn how it can be done.

    You most likely already figured out a solution but let me know if this
    posting helps.
    Mr ReallyVeryNice.

    Just trying to catch the attention of people about this wonderful document.
    This reference does not specifically pertain to my reply or to the OP. :)
    MrReallyVeryNice, Apr 14, 2004