Installing packages on Mac OS X 10.7.5

John Dildy

Hello Everyone!

I have python v2.7.1 and I am trying to install packages on the Mac OS X v10.7.5

I am trying to install:

Distribute

Nose

virtualenv

If anyone can help me that would be great

John Dildy

(e-mail address removed)

Irmen de Jong

Hello Everyone!

I have python v2.7.1 and I am trying to install packages on the Mac OS X v10.7.5

I am trying to install:

Distribute

Nose

virtualenv

If anyone can help me that would be great

John Dildy

(e-mail address removed)

Avoid changing stuff on the system installed python.
If you don't have virtualenv already, I would suggest to either:

- install virtualenv by means of easy_install (which should be installed already)
- do everything else in a virtual env, instead of in the system installed python directly

Or install homebrew, then brew install python, and use that. This avoids using the
system installed python entirely.

Irmen

Hans Mulder

Avoid changing stuff on the system installed python.
+1

If you don't have virtualenv already, I would suggest to either:

- install virtualenv by means of easy_install (which should be installed already)
- do everything else in a virtual env, instead of in the system installed python directly

Or install homebrew, then brew install python, and use that. This avoids using the
system installed python entirely.

Or simply download Python 2.7.3 from python.org and install that.

The Mac OSX installers from python.org leave the system Python
alone and install a separate copy of Python under /Local/.

Or you could use MacPorts, which will install into /opt/local/.

Or you could get really fancy, and install a Python from python.org
or homebrew or MacPorts, and then user virtualenv to avoid messing up
that Python.

The one thing you want to avoid is messing with the system Python.

Hope this helps,

-- HansM