    virtualenv

    If anyone can help me that would be great

    John Dildy

    John Dildy, Dec 5, 2012

  2. On 6-12-2012 0:12, John Dildy wrote:
    > Hello Everyone!
    >
    > I have python v2.7.1 and I am trying to install packages on the Mac OS X v10.7.5
    >
    > I am trying to install:
    >
    > Distribute
    >
    > Nose
    >
    > virtualenv
    >
    > If anyone can help me that would be great
    >
    > John Dildy

    Avoid changing stuff on the system installed python.
    If you don't have virtualenv already, I would suggest to either:

    - install virtualenv by means of easy_install (which should be installed already)
    - do everything else in a virtual env, instead of in the system installed python directly

    Or install homebrew, then brew install python, and use that. This avoids using the
    system installed python entirely.

    Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Dec 5, 2012

  3. John Dildy

    Hans Mulder Guest

    On 6/12/12 00:56:55, Irmen de Jong wrote:
    > On 6-12-2012 0:12, John Dildy wrote:
    >> I have python v2.7.1 and I am trying to install packages on the Mac OS X v10.7.5
    >> I am trying to install:
    >> Distribute
    >> Nose
    >> virtualenv
    >> If anyone can help me that would be great

    > Avoid changing stuff on the system installed python.

    +1

    > If you don't have virtualenv already, I would suggest to either:
    >
    > - install virtualenv by means of easy_install (which should be installed already)
    > - do everything else in a virtual env, instead of in the system installed python directly
    >
    > Or install homebrew, then brew install python, and use that. This avoids using the
    > system installed python entirely.

    Or simply download Python 2.7.3 from python.org and install that.

    The Mac OSX installers from python.org leave the system Python
    alone and install a separate copy of Python under /Local/.

    Or you could use MacPorts, which will install into /opt/local/.

    Or you could get really fancy, and install a Python from python.org
    or homebrew or MacPorts, and then user virtualenv to avoid messing up
    that Python.

    The one thing you want to avoid is messing with the system Python.

    Hope this helps,

    -- HansM

    Hans Mulder, Dec 6, 2012