internet address vs lan

bigbinc

I am about to create a RPC program and I need a servlet to talk to a
server. The servlet is running on the internet, the server is running
on a lan computer. I am pretty sure that the lan ip address is behind
our firewall. Can I still communicate with the server through RPC.

Berlin Brown
(e-mail address removed)

this question sounds confusing, doesnt it?

Rene

I am about to create a RPC program and I need a servlet to talk to a
server. The servlet is running on the internet, the server is running
on a lan computer. I am pretty sure that the lan ip address is behind
our firewall. Can I still communicate with the server through RPC.

Yes, but not without any change at the firewall. So you need to talk to
your network guy and ask him to forward a (or several) ports for you. Which
one depends on what exactly you are doing.

Also this procedure creates some small holes in the firewall (very small
holes but never the less, holes) so he might simply refuse. But talk to him
anyway, he might offer you a better solution (moving the target machine to
an IP address where you can reach it, etc.)

Private (LAN) IP Adresses are in the range of:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255,
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
and
172.16.0.0 - 172.32.255.255

they can never be reached directly from the internet. There are a few other
special IP addresses that won't work, but those above represent 99% of what
you'll find in LANs with private IPs.
this question sounds confusing, doesnt it?

I think I understand what you want.

HTH

CU

Rene