intro to python books

Kamus of Kadizhar

I'm looking for a good intro to python book. I'm very familiar with
programming, but know nothing of OOP or systems (OS type) programming.
All of my programming experience is in number crunching and generic
graphics engines (read: gobs and gobs of matrix manipulations and
super-efficient sorts), all of it in C.

I've written exactly one program in Python.

So, I need something that covers the finer points of Python - difference
between ' and " for example - and the greater things beyond that, like
implicit lists and classes.

I've had good luck with the O'Reilly books in the past, but I have to
buy everything mail order, so I can't browse easily and see what I'm buying.

Thanks,

-Kamus

Cameron Laird

.
[request with much
useful detail, to
which we'll return
later]
.
.
I've had good luck with the O'Reilly books in the past, but I have to
buy everything mail order, so I can't browse easily and see what I'm buying.
.
.
.
describes ways online browsing might be available to you. I think you'll want
to read this.

Cameron Laird

I'm looking for a good intro to python book. I'm very familiar with
programming, but know nothing of OOP or systems (OS type) programming.
All of my programming experience is in number crunching and generic
graphics engines (read: gobs and gobs of matrix manipulations and
super-efficient sorts), all of it in C.

I've written exactly one program in Python.

So, I need something that covers the finer points of Python - difference
between ' and " for example - and the greater things beyond that, like
implicit lists and classes.
.
.
.
I applaud you for the care with which you've described
your situation and requirements. There are several
worthwhile Python books that I think you'll like, some
of them on-line. It's quite likely your question will
attract follow-ups that mention a half-dozen of these.
The first ones that come to my mind are <URL:
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/index.htm >,
http://www.pythonware.com/people/fredrik/librarybook.htm >,
and <URL: http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=7822/ur0303j/ >.

Paul Rubin

Kamus of Kadizhar said:
I'm looking for a good intro to python book. I'm very familiar with
programming, but know nothing of OOP or systems (OS type)
programming. All of my programming experience is in number crunching
and generic graphics engines (read: gobs and gobs of matrix
manipulations and super-efficient sorts), all of it in C.

You should do fine starting with the online tutorial at www.python.org.
It's not terribly complete and it's a little bit dated, but it will
help you get the hang of Python.

Asun Friere

Kamus of Kadizhar said:
I'm looking for a good intro to python book. I'm very familiar with
programming, but know nothing of OOP or systems (OS type) programming.

You might consider a book about OOP theory/technique per se.
So, I need something that covers the finer points of Python - difference
between ' and " for example - and the greater things beyond that, like
implicit lists and classes.

I've had good luck with the O'Reilly books in the past ..

Lutz and Asher's 'Learning Python' (from O'Reilly) is about to (has
just?) come out in its 2nd edition (finally), check it out here:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lpython2/

For something comprehensive and fairly recent, you might consider Alex
Martelli's 'Python in a Nutshell.'
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonian/