intro to python books

Discussion in 'Python' started by Kamus of Kadizhar, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. I'm looking for a good intro to python book. I'm very familiar with
    programming, but know nothing of OOP or systems (OS type) programming.
    All of my programming experience is in number crunching and generic
    graphics engines (read: gobs and gobs of matrix manipulations and
    super-efficient sorts), all of it in C.

    I've written exactly one program in Python.

    So, I need something that covers the finer points of Python - difference
    between ' and " for example - and the greater things beyond that, like
    implicit lists and classes.

    I've had good luck with the O'Reilly books in the past, but I have to
    buy everything mail order, so I can't browse easily and see what I'm buying.

    Thanks,

    -Kamus

    --
    o__ | If you're old, eat right and ride a decent bike.
    ,>/'_ | Q.

    Kamus of Kadizhar, Dec 14, 2003

  2. In article <brhmod$8hdu$>,
    Kamus of Kadizhar <> wrote:
    .
    [request with much
    useful detail, to
    which we'll return
    later]
    .
    .
    >I've had good luck with the O'Reilly books in the past, but I have to
    >buy everything mail order, so I can't browse easily and see what I'm buying.

    .
    .
    .
    describes ways online browsing might be available to you. I think you'll want
    to read this.
    --

    Cameron Laird <>
    Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

    Cameron Laird, Dec 14, 2003

  3. In article <brhmod$8hdu$>,
    Kamus of Kadizhar <> wrote:
    >I'm looking for a good intro to python book. I'm very familiar with
    >programming, but know nothing of OOP or systems (OS type) programming.
    >All of my programming experience is in number crunching and generic
    >graphics engines (read: gobs and gobs of matrix manipulations and
    >super-efficient sorts), all of it in C.
    >
    >I've written exactly one program in Python.
    >
    >So, I need something that covers the finer points of Python - difference
    >between ' and " for example - and the greater things beyond that, like
    >implicit lists and classes.

    .
    .
    .
    I applaud you for the care with which you've described
    your situation and requirements. There are several
    worthwhile Python books that I think you'll like, some
    of them on-line. It's quite likely your question will
    attract follow-ups that mention a half-dozen of these.
    The first ones that come to my mind are <URL:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/index.htm >,
    http://www.pythonware.com/people/fredrik/librarybook.htm >,
    and <URL: http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=7822/ur0303j/ >.

    Cameron Laird, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Kamus of Kadizhar

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Kamus of Kadizhar <> writes:
    > I'm looking for a good intro to python book. I'm very familiar with
    > programming, but know nothing of OOP or systems (OS type)
    > programming. All of my programming experience is in number crunching
    > and generic graphics engines (read: gobs and gobs of matrix
    > manipulations and super-efficient sorts), all of it in C.

    You should do fine starting with the online tutorial at www.python.org.
    It's not terribly complete and it's a little bit dated, but it will
    help you get the hang of Python.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 14, 2003
  5. Kamus of Kadizhar

    Asun Friere Guest

    Kamus of Kadizhar <> wrote in message news:<brhmod$8hdu$>...
    > I'm looking for a good intro to python book. I'm very familiar with
    > programming, but know nothing of OOP or systems (OS type) programming.

    You might consider a book about OOP theory/technique per se.

    > So, I need something that covers the finer points of Python - difference
    > between ' and " for example - and the greater things beyond that, like
    > implicit lists and classes.
    >
    > I've had good luck with the O'Reilly books in the past ..

    Lutz and Asher's 'Learning Python' (from O'Reilly) is about to (has
    just?) come out in its 2nd edition (finally), check it out here:
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lpython2/

    For something comprehensive and fairly recent, you might consider Alex
    Martelli's 'Python in a Nutshell.'
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonian/

    Asun Friere, Dec 15, 2003
  6. Kamus of Kadizhar