Ip Address vs Server Name

ruca

hi,

Can Anyone tell me or indicate some sites to get information, what's the
differences between calling my Web Application with an Ip Address or the
Server Name???

Example:

Ip Address calling:

http://111.111.0.1/WebApplication/index.htm

Server Name:
http://[MyServerName]/WebApplication/index.htm

I know that for example If I use Windows Authentication, with ip address
always appears to me the authetication user dialog, and with server name no.

--
Programming ASP.NET with VB.NET

Thank's (if you try to help me)
Hope can help (if I try to help)

ruca

Karl Seguin [MVP]

It's common for multiple sites to have the same IP address. IIS for example,
allows multiple sites on the same IP and differentiates which one you really
want via host (or port, but changing ports isn't practical in production
sites).

For example, both blah.com and bleh.net might poing to the same IP address,
but IIS reads the host-header and determines which site you really want to
hit.

In development, there isn't any huge difference.

Karl