    *my keywords isn't in the top of the body section, because there asp.net had
    placed some hidden fields. Wonder if that affects the sites's ranking

    any suggestions?
    Anton, Oct 31, 2009

  2. Anton

    Scott M. Guest

    "Anton" <no_email> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hey
    >
    > asp.net 3.5
    >
    > I wonder if asp.net is seo friendly. I did a crawl test on my site and it
    > reported several things I didn't like:
    >
    > * It reported that the title had several spaces in the begining, despite I
    > used the Title="title here" tag (no space in the beginning there)
    > but the generated code it had several spaces...
    >
    > * because of the spaces in the title, it reported that my keywords wasn't
    > in the title, but the keywords are indeed there :(
    >
    > *my keywords isn't in the top of the body section, because there asp.net
    > had placed some hidden fields. Wonder if that affects the sites's ranking
    >
    > any suggestions?

    I don't experience those issues with my ASP .NET site or any other ASP .NET
    site I've built. Page titles and keywords are manually added as static HTML
    and do not get altered that way.

    -Scott
    Scott M., Oct 31, 2009

  3. On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 12:25:31 +0100, "Anton" <no_email> wrote:

    >Hey
    >
    >asp.net 3.5
    >
    >I wonder if asp.net is seo friendly. I did a crawl test on my site and it
    >reported several things I didn't like:

    ASP.NET can be used to create SEO friendly sites. URL rewriting is
    especially useful.

    >* It reported that the title had several spaces in the begining, despite I
    >used the Title="title here" tag (no space in the beginning there)
    >but the generated code it had several spaces...

    What tool was used?

    >* because of the spaces in the title, it reported that my keywords wasn't in
    >the title, but the keywords are indeed there :(
    >
    >*my keywords isn't in the top of the body section, because there asp.net had
    >placed some hidden fields. Wonder if that affects the sites's ranking

    Probably not as this is not an uncommon occurrence.

    >any suggestions?

    Learn more about search engines, how they work, and the factors that
    may influence search rankings. I would recommend 'Professional Search
    Engine Optimization with ASP.NET" (ISBN 978-0-470-13147-3) or
    something similar as a starting point.

    regards
    A.G.
    Registered User, Oct 31, 2009
  4. Anton

    Anton Guest

    I've ordered that book, looking forward to reading it
    Anton, Nov 2, 2009
  5. On Oct 31, 12:25 pm, "Anton" <no_email> wrote:
    > Hey
    >
    > asp.net 3.5
    >
    > I wonder if asp.net is seo friendly. I did a crawl test on my site and it
    > reported several things I didn't like:
    >
    > * It reported that the title had several spaces in the begining, despite I
    > used the Title="title here" tag (no space in the beginning there)
    > but the generated code it had several spaces...

    By default, .NET generates an output in XHTML (see your DOCTYPE tag at
    the very top). According to XHTML rules, leading and trailing white
    space, including line breaks, are not an error for layout. This is
    more important for the browser, but search engines also should follow
    that rule. To be sure that your site has no problems with ASP.NET and
    SEO you can start with Google Webmaster Tools at https://www.google.com/webmasters
    where you can see some useful information about how Google see you
    site.
    Alexey Smirnov, Nov 2, 2009
  6. Anton

    Scott M. Guest

    "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message
    On Oct 31, 12:25 pm, "Anton" <no_email> wrote:
    > Hey
    >
    > asp.net 3.5
    >
    > I wonder if asp.net is seo friendly. I did a crawl test on my site and it
    > reported several things I didn't like:
    >
    > * It reported that the title had several spaces in the begining, despite I
    > used the Title="title here" tag (no space in the beginning there)
    > but the generated code it had several spaces...

    >By default, .NET generates an output in XHTML (see your DOCTYPE tag at
    >the very top). According to XHTML rules, leading and trailing white
    >space, including line breaks, are not an error for layout. This is
    >more important for the browser, but search engines also should follow
    >that rule. To be sure that your site has no problems with ASP.NET and
    >SEO you can start with Google Webmaster Tools at
    >https://www.google.com/webmasters
    >where you can see some useful information about how Google see you
    >site.

    But, this doesn't address ASP .NET at all. ASP .NET does not generate
    leading and trailing spaces for page titles and such by default. If you are
    getting leading and trailing spaces, you are most likely settinng your page
    titles dynamially, in which case your code is probably more to blame than
    ASP .NET.

    -Scott
    Scott M., Nov 2, 2009
  7. On Nov 2, 2:53 pm, "Scott M." <> wrote:
    > "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message

    > On Oct 31, 12:25 pm, "Anton" <no_email> wrote:
    >

    > > Hey

    > > asp.net 3.5

    > > I wonder if asp.net is seo friendly. I did a crawl test on my site and it
    > > reported several things I didn't like:

    > > * It reported that the title had several spaces in the begining, despite I
    > > used the Title="title here" tag (no space in the beginning there)
    > > but the generated code it had several spaces...
    > >By default, .NET generates an output in XHTML (see your DOCTYPE tag at
    > >the very top). According to XHTML rules, leading and trailing white
    > >space, including line breaks, are not an error for layout. This is
    > >more important for the browser, but search engines also should follow
    > >that rule. To be sure that your site has no problems with ASP.NET and
    > >SEO you can start with Google Webmaster Tools at
    > >https://www.google.com/webmasters
    > >where you can see some useful information about how Google see you
    > >site.

    > But, this doesn't address ASP .NET at all.  ASP .NET does not generate
    > leading and trailing spaces for page titles and such by default.  If you are
    > getting leading and trailing spaces, you are most likely settinng your page
    > titles dynamially, in which case your code is probably more to blame than
    > ASP .NET.
    >
    > -Scott- Hide quoted text -

    It is generated by ASP.NET. Look at the header of www.asp.net for
    instance.
    Alexey Smirnov, Nov 2, 2009
  8. Anton

    germ Guest

    Alexey is correct- asp.net by default DOES add line feeds before & after
    <title /> contents

    germ, Nov 2, 2009
  9. Anton

    Scott M. Guest

    "germ" <> wrote in message
    > Alexey is correct- asp.net by default DOES add line feeds before & after
    > <title /> contents
    >

    > "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message
    > On Nov 2, 2:53 pm, "Scott M." <> wrote:
    >> "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message

    >> On Oct 31, 12:25 pm, "Anton" <no_email> wrote:
    >>

    >> > Hey

    >> > asp.net 3.5

    >> > I wonder if asp.net is seo friendly. I did a crawl test on my site and
    >> > it
    >> > reported several things I didn't like:

    >> > * It reported that the title had several spaces in the begining,
    >> > despite I
    >> > used the Title="title here" tag (no space in the beginning there)
    >> > but the generated code it had several spaces...
    >> >By default, .NET generates an output in XHTML (see your DOCTYPE tag at
    >> >the very top). According to XHTML rules, leading and trailing white
    >> >space, including line breaks, are not an error for layout. This is
    >> >more important for the browser, but search engines also should follow
    >> >that rule. To be sure that your site has no problems with ASP.NET and
    >> >SEO you can start with Google Webmaster Tools at
    >> >https://www.google.com/webmasters
    >> >where you can see some useful information about how Google see you
    >> >site.

    >> But, this doesn't address ASP .NET at all. ASP .NET does not generate
    >> leading and trailing spaces for page titles and such by default. If you
    >> are
    >> getting leading and trailing spaces, you are most likely settinng your
    >> page
    >> titles dynamially, in which case your code is probably more to blame than
    >> ASP .NET.
    >>
    >> -Scott- Hide quoted text -

    > It is generated by ASP.NET. Look at the header of www.asp.net for
    > instance.

    Yes, I see (and know) what you mean by the spacing, however (again) this may
    be more of a problem with the coding of dynamically generated titles, rather
    than with ASP .NET itself.

    This is what I get when I create a new ASP .NET page:

    <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeBehind="Default.aspx.vb"
    Inherits="WebApplication1._Default" %>

    <head runat="server">
    <title></title>
    </head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">

    </form>

    -Scott
    Scott M., Nov 2, 2009
  10. Anton

    Anton Guest

    > This is what I get when I create a new ASP .NET page:

    > CodeBehind="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="WebApplication1._Default" %>

    > <head runat="server">
    > <title></title>
    > </head>
    > <form id="form1" runat="server">

    > </form>
    >
    > -Scott

    The pages in my project are based on a masterpage, so I specify the title in
    first line in the page
    :<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Masters/MasterPage.master"
    AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default"
    Title="First Page" %>

    Which generates:
    <title>
    First Page
    </title>
    (the line break after <title> and the spaces before the "First Page" text)

    Also I want to add that I've run a test using Google Webmaster Tools, and it
    report that they have no problem with the titles in my project.
    http://www.instantposition.com/seotest.php reported that my site is poorly
    optimized, I ran a test on the asp.net site also and it too was poorly
    optimized too
    (it said that the www.asp.net was missing the keyword asp.net in the
    title...) Not sure how serious I can take the result from the test as I
    suppose they who created asp.net is among the best developers microsoft know
    about...

    Look forward to reading that book :)
    Anton, Nov 2, 2009
  11. On Nov 2, 10:09 pm, "Anton" <no_email> wrote:
    > > This is what I get when I create a new ASP .NET page:

    > > <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false"
    > > CodeBehind="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="WebApplication1._Default" %>

    > > "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

    > > <head runat="server">
    > >    <title></title>
    > > </head>
    > >    <form id="form1" runat="server">

    > >    </form>

    > > -Scott

    > The pages in my project are based on a masterpage, so I specify the title in
    > first line in the page
    > :<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Masters/MasterPage.master"
    > AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default"
    > Title="First Page" %>
    >
    > Which generates:
    > <title>
    >        First Page
    > </title>
    > (the line break after <title> and the spaces before the "First Page" text)
    >
    > Also I want to add that I've run a test using Google Webmaster Tools, and it
    > report that they have no problem with the titles in my project.http://www..instantposition.com/seotest.phpreported that my site is poorly

    I would not trust to this service, because it does not work
    properly...

    Compare result for keywords with any other tool. For example, I tested
    it with
    http://www.submitexpress.com/analyzer/

    Do you see the difference?
    Alexey Smirnov, Nov 2, 2009
  12. On Nov 2, 6:47 pm, "Scott M." <> wrote:
    > "germ" <> wrote in message

    > > Alexey is correct- asp.net by default DOES add line feeds before & after
    > > <title /> contents

    > > "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message
    > > On Nov 2, 2:53 pm, "Scott M." <> wrote:
    > >> "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message

    > >> But, this doesn't address ASP .NET at all. ASP .NET does not generate
    > >> leading and trailing spaces for page titles and such by default. If you
    > >> are
    > >> getting leading and trailing spaces, you are most likely settinng your
    > >> page
    > >> titles dynamially, in which case your code is probably more to blame than
    > >> ASP .NET.

    > >> -Scott- Hide quoted text -

    > > It is generated by ASP.NET. Look at the header ofwww.asp.netfor
    > > instance.

    > Yes, I see (and know) what you mean by the spacing, however (again) this may
    > be more of a problem with the coding of dynamically generated titles, rather
    > than with ASP .NET itself.
    >
    > This is what I get when I create a new ASP .NET page:
    >
    > <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeBehind="Default.aspx.vb"
    > Inherits="WebApplication1._Default" %>

    > <head runat="server">
    >     <title></title>
    > </head>
    >     <form id="form1" runat="server">

    >     </form>
    >
    > -Scott- Hide quoted text -

    Scott, I don't get you point. Dynamic title is generated by ASP.NET,
    isn't it?
    Alexey Smirnov, Nov 2, 2009
  13. Anton

    >> This is what I get when I create a new ASP .NET page:
    >>
    >> <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false"
    >> CodeBehind="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="WebApplication1._Default" %>

    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

    >> <head runat="server">
    >> <title></title>
    >> </head>
    >> <form id="form1" runat="server">

    >> </form>
    >>
    >> -Scott

    > The pages in my project are based on a masterpage, so I specify the title
    > in first line in the page
    > :<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Masters/MasterPage.master"
    > AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default"
    > Title="First Page" %>
    >
    > Which generates:
    > <title>
    > First Page
    > </title>
    > (the line break after <title> and the spaces before the "First Page" text)
    >
    > Also I want to add that I've run a test using Google Webmaster Tools, and
    > it report that they have no problem with the titles in my project.
    > http://www.instantposition.com/seotest.php reported that my site is poorly
    > optimized, I ran a test on the asp.net site also and it too was poorly
    > optimized too
    > (it said that the www.asp.net was missing the keyword asp.net in the
    > title...) Not sure how serious I can take the result from the test as I
    > suppose they who created asp.net is among the best developers microsoft
    > know about...
    >
    > Look forward to reading that book :)

    Rather than setting your title as a page directive, have you tried doing it
    via the title property of the page in code? Also, you can control how HTML
    tags are rendered in Tools...Options of VS.

    -Scott
    Scott M., Nov 2, 2009
  14. Anton

    > Scott, I don't get you point. Dynamic title is generated by ASP.NET, isn't
    > it?

    Well, sure. If it's dynamic then it's automatically generated. That's
    actually what I've been saying all along here. That the way the title is
    being generated is more likely the problem. Rather than setting the title
    Page Directive, on a master page, I'd try setting it via code.

    -Scott
    Scott M., Nov 2, 2009
  15. Anton

    germ Guest

    Sure that is what you get when you create a new .aspx page.
    What does the browser receive when you browse it exactly as is without using
    any dynamic titles ?

    <head><title>

    </title></head>

    Line feeds before & after <title /> contents even when the contents are
    empty.
    I don't see how you can say this isn't an asp.net issue when this is default
    the behaviour that you can't work around - unless you are suggesting title
    rendering is somehow not part of asp.net ?

    Gerry

    germ, Nov 3, 2009
  16. Anton

    germ Guest

    this problem occurs regardless of how the title is set - it happens even
    when the title is never set.
    and in all cases the title is generated ( rendered ) by asp.net

    germ, Nov 3, 2009
  17. Anton

    germ Guest

    have you found any formatting setting that work with this ?
    I looked and it seems that you can affect the formatting in the designer but
    not for what is actually renedered to the browser.
    Maybe I am missing a setting?

    germ, Nov 3, 2009