Is it possible to detect if ASP.NET is registered?

Igor Kuklin

I know how to detect .NET Framework, and I know how to re-register ASP.NET.
But is there any way to detect that ASP.NET is not registered with IIS? I
want my installation program to treat this case better than just failing to
install. I am using VS.NET Deployment project.

Thanks in advance.

Kallely Sajan

One option is to check for the existence of the directory aspnet_client
under inetpub\wwwroot. This check is not conclusive and doesn't make sure
that everything is setup right and working. One case where this check might
not yield the intended result is when IIS is installed after .NET Farmework.

Guru Prasad

You can also use this registry key's - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ASP.NET -
presence to determine if ASP.NET was ever installed on the machine.
In fact there are other items of interest within, including the various
ASP.NET versions available on the machine and the paths to the aspnet_iaspi
dlls.