Is JMX a special JBoss feature?

pete sinner

As far as I know JMX is a special feature for monitoring J2EE applications.

Is this only for JBoss AppServers or for other AppServers as well?

Can I use JMX independently from AppServers (e.g. monitor non-J2EE, stand-alone apps)?

Pete

Tom Anderson

As far as I know JMX is a special feature for monitoring J2EE applications.

No, it's a standard part of J2SE:

http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/core/mntr-mgmt

However, it has seen its widest use in the J2EE world, i think.
Is this only for JBoss AppServers or for other AppServers as well?

WebLogic does:

http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs81/jmx/overview.html

No idea about any others.
Can I use JMX independently from AppServers (e.g. monitor non-J2EE,
stand-alone apps)?

Yes, absolutely. See:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtp09196/index.html?ca=drs

You need to enable the JMX agent to expose the MBeans:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/agent.html

tom

Jim

As far as I know JMX is a special feature for monitoring J2EE applications.

Is this only for JBoss AppServers or for other AppServers as well? No, and Yes
Can I use JMX independently from AppServers (e.g. monitor non-J2EE, stand-alone apps)? Yes, see below
Pete
If you'd like to try out an easy to setup and use JMX, try ActiveMQ

http://activemq.apache.org/index.html

Jim

Jian Lu

As far as I know JMX is a special feature for monitoring J2EE applications.

Is this only for JBoss AppServers or for other AppServers as well?

Can I use JMX independently from AppServers (e.g. monitor non-J2EE, stand-alone apps)?

Pete

JMX is a specification independent with J2EE. So you can use it for
both J2EE and non-J2EE applications.

Lu Jian

Michael Justin

pete said:
As far as I know JMX is a special feature for monitoring J2EE applications.

Is this only for JBoss AppServers or for other AppServers as well?

Can I use JMX independently from AppServers (e.g. monitor non-J2EE, stand-alone apps)?

JMX is available not only for JMX but in many products running on the
Java platform:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Management_Extensions

It is possible to connect to a VM with JConsole or VisualVM and see if
it contains managed beans.
Adding JMX support to a Java application requires only few lines of code.

You can even use non-Java clients to monitor Java applications using the
JMX WS connector (JSR 262) - it is not yet integrated in the JRE.

Best Regards,

Arne Vajhøj

pete said:
As far as I know JMX is a special feature for monitoring J2EE applications.

Is this only for JBoss AppServers or for other AppServers as well?

Can I use JMX independently from AppServers (e.g. monitor non-J2EE, stand-alone apps)?

JMX is standard and used by many other Java apps.

But JBoss is special by the fact that JMX is an essential backbone
for JBoss.

Arne