    Is this only for JBoss AppServers or for other AppServers as well?

    Can I use JMX independently from AppServers (e.g. monitor non-J2EE, stand-alone apps)?

    Pete
    pete sinner, Jun 20, 2009

  2. pete sinner

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, pete sinner wrote:

    > As far as I know JMX is a special feature for monitoring J2EE applications.

    No, it's a standard part of J2SE:

    http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/core/mntr-mgmt

    However, it has seen its widest use in the J2EE world, i think.

    > Is this only for JBoss AppServers or for other AppServers as well?

    WebLogic does:

    http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs81/jmx/overview.html

    No idea about any others.

    > Can I use JMX independently from AppServers (e.g. monitor non-J2EE,
    > stand-alone apps)?

    Yes, absolutely. See:

    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtp09196/index.html?ca=drs

    You need to enable the JMX agent to expose the MBeans:

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/agent.html

    tom

    --
    AVOID PS3 LIKE MCVITIE'S PLAGUE HOBNOBS -- UKR
    Tom Anderson, Jun 20, 2009

  3. pete sinner

    Jim Guest

    On 20 Jun 2009 08:18:28 GMT, (pete sinner) wrote:

    >As far as I know JMX is a special feature for monitoring J2EE applications.
    >
    >Is this only for JBoss AppServers or for other AppServers as well?

    No, and Yes
    >Can I use JMX independently from AppServers (e.g. monitor non-J2EE, stand-alone apps)?

    Yes, see below
    >Pete

    If you'd like to try out an easy to setup and use JMX, try ActiveMQ

    http://activemq.apache.org/index.html

    Jim
    Jim, Jun 20, 2009
  4. pete sinner

    Jian Lu Guest

    On Jun 20, 4:18 pm, (pete sinner) wrote:
    > As far as I know JMX is a special feature for monitoring J2EE applications.
    >
    > Is this only for JBoss AppServers or for other AppServers as well?
    >
    > Can I use JMX independently from AppServers (e.g. monitor non-J2EE, stand-alone apps)?
    >
    > Pete

    JMX is a specification independent with J2EE. So you can use it for
    both J2EE and non-J2EE applications.

    Lu Jian
    Jian Lu, Jun 21, 2009
  5. pete sinner wrote:

    > As far as I know JMX is a special feature for monitoring J2EE applications.
    >
    > Is this only for JBoss AppServers or for other AppServers as well?
    >
    > Can I use JMX independently from AppServers (e.g. monitor non-J2EE, stand-alone apps)?

    JMX is available not only for JMX but in many products running on the
    Java platform:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Management_Extensions

    It is possible to connect to a VM with JConsole or VisualVM and see if
    it contains managed beans.
    Adding JMX support to a Java application requires only few lines of code.

    You can even use non-Java clients to monitor Java applications using the
    JMX WS connector (JSR 262) - it is not yet integrated in the JRE.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Michael Justin
    SCJP, SCJA
    Michael Justin, Jun 21, 2009
  6. pete sinner

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    pete sinner wrote:
    > As far as I know JMX is a special feature for monitoring J2EE applications.
    >
    > Is this only for JBoss AppServers or for other AppServers as well?
    >
    > Can I use JMX independently from AppServers (e.g. monitor non-J2EE, stand-alone apps)?

    JMX is standard and used by many other Java apps.

    But JBoss is special by the fact that JMX is an essential backbone
    for JBoss.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 24, 2009